M6030 tractor catches on fire

kenmc

Equipment
M6030DT
Sep 9, 2015
Wodonga Vic Australia
Hi folks, first post and apologies if in wrong section. Family has been farming over 60 years and have owned many tractors. Downsizing, purchased a M6030 front wheel assist with bucket mainly for hay feeding. At 2040 tractor hrs yesterday the machine self ignited for some reason. Luckily I was home and the fire fighting unit was nearby so was able to put it out. Wiring and fuel line to lift pump wrecked, diesel leaking helped the fire on its way.
My question is whether anyone else has had any experience of this nature?
We have kept the tractor clean of mud and manure by gentle pressure washing. It was used several hours before the fire: I am confident it had cooled down before the event. As I was putting out the fire I noticed the starter motor was turning over but that may have been wires (keyswitch?) touching. I cannot understand why the battery didn't explode as the positive to the starter has it's insulation burned away. Possibly the starter engaged, ran hot and melted the nearby fuel line, but the battery is not taking much charge so maybe not the starter. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
The pnly idea i may have is it was an electrical fire. Now that fire is out, its time to decide your course of action.
Stripping put damagrd parts and cleaning. Somewhere you should come across some indication to what caused it.
Bieng that its all circuit protected, unless there was added electrical, your speculation on starter circuit may be on the money.

kenmc

Equipment
M6030DT
Sep 9, 2015
Wodonga Vic Australia
Thank you Tooljunkie
Careful inspection at this stage shows the positive lead to starter wends under the hydraulic pump close by the block and more of the same on way to starter.
We will look for arcing damage between lead and components. Will take a few days, but will keep you posted. The other thing is that the tractor was always parked in neutral and the hi-lo lever was engaged with park (emergency) brake on. Reasoning is that even if the hi-lo switch fails and the machine tries to start the tractor cannot move as it is in neutral. Any fault, had it started, then the tractor will move of it's own accord if both hi-lo and gear selector are engaged- sage advice for new tractor owners, perhaps.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
That's pretty sucky, but at least the damage was not more extensive. Yes please keep us posted and pictures if you will,, this kind of information is always valuable

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Birds have been known to build nest on top of cyl head right next to exhaust manifold.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I have had problems with mice building a nest on the head of my L3901DT. Luckily both times it has been fiberglass insulation from around my wood burning boiler. Plus they have been on the intake side of the engine.

When I ran a John Deere log skidder, I had Pine needles catch on fire that where on top of the engine.

Here is a picture of one of the nest I removed from my tractor:

Attachments