kx121 overheating

krob

Equipment
kx121, svl 75
Sep 8, 2015
aubrey tx
machine would overheat when temps above 95 and running cab air. Took thermostat out and seemed to work for a month or so. Now we are overheating and losing water after a very short time. Stat still out and have checked the obvious. no weeping from pump, belt good, can see water circulating inside radiator when cap off. What next? trying to locate a radiator pressure tester for that small cap size now. Machine starts and runs fine but only 10 minutes or so to overheat. Not running cab air. Any clues?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
machine would overheat when temps above 95 and running cab air. Took thermostat out and seemed to work for a month or so. Now we are overheating and losing water after a very short time. Stat still out and have checked the obvious. no weeping from pump, belt good, can see water circulating inside radiator when cap off. What next? trying to locate a radiator pressure tester for that small cap size now. Machine starts and runs fine but only 10 minutes or so to overheat. Not running cab air. Any clues?
As mentioned - you clean radiator WELL? reallllly gooood? Compressed air - no water ......:)

you will be surprised the gunk you will find buried in the fins of your radiator.

taking thermostat out will never be a good idea - unless IT IS bad!!

Sounds like a head gasket it bad .....

keep cap off and run machine.....see any air bubbles in the opening? IF so - then the head gasket is the problem.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Most likely that the radiator is blocked on the air side. I recently pulled my radiator and soaked it in plastic tub. Took most of a day to remove the gunk that has built up during this drought.

If it is going hot in 10 minutes, then I would start there.

The condenser fins on the cabin air are probably clogged, too. I would use the foaming air conditioner fin cleaner from the big box store. Only because you don't want to pull that.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Like the others said dirty radiator is the first thing to look at. Replace or re-install the thermostat. Then flush the cooling system and put in new coolant.