B6000 fuel pump

E-clip

Equipment
B6000, FEL, Tiller, Grader box
Apr 27, 2011
Lotus, CA
HI everyone!

I just brought down a non running B6000 from the Nevada desert. It came with a tiller, box scraper, and FEL. I'm still busy cleaning it up before I can run a compression test .....(preparing for the worst).
This one is missing the fuel pump. The fuel line is routed like it should be with the filters and all, except that it bypasses the spot where the fuel pump was.

Here's my question. Can the B6000 start and run without the fuel pump? The previous owner said it ran fine that way, but I'm just curious if anyone else has a gravity feed setup. I thought injector pumps needed a minimum amount of pressure to function.

Your input is much appreciated
Thanks!

E-clip

Equipment
Apr 27, 2011
Lotus, CA
Thank you. This means I won't be buying a fuel pump. My local Kubota dealer gets $95.00 for it. Hopefully I can do a compression test by this Sunday. I'll post the results.

E-clip

Equipment
Apr 27, 2011
Lotus, CA
I'm almost convinced that this tractor's been sitting untouched except by tumble weeds and sand for over a year, maybe several. The tires were all almost deflated and anything made of rubber and plastic turned brittle or dissintigrated under the western sun. The frame serial number starts with 73. I don't know if that indicates year of manufacture.

I changed the engine oil, fuel filters, air filter, and coolant. I tested the glow plugs and both glow red. I was using 90 second preheats, still the motor wouldn't start but it sure cranked fast. I checked valve clearance, then removed the decompression mechanism and it still cranked what seemed way too fast for a diesel.
The results of a cold compression test showed the cylinder nearest the radiator at 320psi and the other at 252psi. Squirting a little 30wt in each cylinder got me a reading of 403 closest to the radiator and roughly 380 on the other.

Next day turned out much better. I installed new glow plugs and not expecting much, it fired on the first try on the 3d engine revolution ......with only a 30 second preheat! The following day gave the same results. It runs a rough at the low end of midrange, but it's fairly smooth at idle and upper rpm. On my road it pulls nice, doesn't seem to bog down. It sounds like there's an exhaust leak, hopefully it's the manifold gasket or exhaust stud. But overall this was an unexpected twenty dollar fix!

I'll do another compression test. This one will be more accurate since I can finally do it at operating temperature.

Last edited:

E-clip

Equipment
Apr 27, 2011
Lotus, CA
Thanks.
I don't know much about diesels except for an old VW Rabbit I used to own.
I'm gonna move on to the gearbox fluid/maintance and stuff.

countryplumber

Jun 28, 2011
Mobile al
You can buy a fuel pump for the b6000 at most car auto parts stores. I think we paid 35.00 for one. The tractor will run without but we replaced it anyway.

RamKUBO

Equipment
B6000
Aug 9, 2011
Guatemala
I need a fuel pump, can you tell where to buy in the internet? I found some kyosan pumps but I´m not sure if the model if right.

LCconvert

Equipment
B6000
Aug 10, 2015
good ol' USofA
Reviving an old thread.... What is the best fuel pump replacement for a B6000 and where do you get them? I spoke with my local Kubota dealer and they have one for about $85. Seems a little high but I am willing to buy it if it is worth it. I do like to use OEM parts on my Toyota truck!

I know they run without them but since the tractor came with one from the factory, I would like to replace mine.

thanks!!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
On many vehicles, tractors, ATV's, fuel pumps are only present to deal with the extreme terrain circumstances such as a steep hill and a low fuel level in the tank or the vehicle rearing up when pulling a heavy load . If it were my tractor I would re-install a pump as getting air into the injection system is too much of a headache to take a chance.
Much to my surprise some cheap lawn tractors are being designed without the need to ever have a fuel pump as shown in this photo. The down side is that the fuel tank is small in order to locate it high above the carb.

Dave M7040