ZL600 Overhaul

cruiserbill

Equipment
B6000
May 9, 2016
Indiana
Hello all, Bill here. New member and new (to me) tractor owner. I acquired a pretty well used B6000 with a blade on it. The motor was torn down already in an attempt to rebuild it. The PO said they were told you couldn't get parts for it. I have acquired the service manual, parts manual, and repair manual.

So, I am faced with rebuilding the motor. Does anyone have a list of common parts I need to rebuild this motor? I haven't been able to go through the full repair manual yet on this.

I am pretty sure it is a gray market tractor, but I honestly don't know how to tell as some folks say not all of them where gray. I am OK with it either way. I have been wanting a tractor and this one pretty much fell into my hands. I would love to restore it. It will be a challenge though. Although I am somewhat mechanically inclined, I have never rebuilt a motor, especially a diesel, and one that was already disassembled to boot.

I am not sure if it has a PTO reverser on it or not. I will pick it up tomorrow and bring it home and start in on it. I will try to share info here on what I find and if any of you can help me it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill

cruiserbill

Equipment
B6000
May 9, 2016
Indiana
So in searching for cylinder liners, part 15231-02315, superseded by 15231-02310, I find it has been discontinued. The only place I can find them on the web is from Germany, but I am not sure they will ship to the US.

Any help here would be appreciated.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
So in searching for cylinder liners, part 15231-02315, superseded by 15231-02310, I find it has been discontinued. The only place I can find them on the web is from Germany, but I am not sure they will ship to the US.

Any help here would be appreciated.
Check around at some local engine shops as they might be able to get liners.

Do you really need liners?
Most of the time you can just get the block bored and it will be fine. ;)

HealeyBN7

Equipment
B6000 4x4
Aug 3, 2015
Thousand Oaks
I found that everything is available if you are willing to accept international shipments.

Here is a thread on my rebuild earlier this year.

http://www.vintagemotoring.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2717

I bought the liners, pistons and bearings from Stavros.

http://www.stavros-savva-co-ltd.com.cy/product-category/kubota-spare-parts/

Yes, do replace the liners and pistons together. They are inexpensive wet liners that are just held in place with o-rings. They come ready to install so no need to send it out for machine work. You just need to gap the rings and you are good to go.

The shipping was fast and we chatted a bit before the order was placed. The only thing I could not get was one bearing, which fortunately did not need replacement.

Dean

HealeyBN7

Equipment
B6000 4x4
Aug 3, 2015
Thousand Oaks
Check around at some local engine shops as they might be able to get liners.

Do you really need liners?
Most of the time you can just get the block bored and it will be fine. ;)
The challenge would be sourcing rings and pistons as only standard sizes are readily available. The liners in the ZL600 are stepped at the top and grooved to accept o rings at the bottom, not your typical machine shop sleeves.

Folks seems to confuse the wet liner ZL600 with other engines.

Take the easy path. Liners are cheaper then machine work. Replace the liner, piston and rings as a set.

Dean

cruiserbill

Equipment
B6000
May 9, 2016
Indiana
I found that everything is available if you are willing to accept international shipments.

Here is a thread on my rebuild earlier this year.

http://www.vintagemotoring.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2717

I bought the liners, pistons and bearings from Stavros.

http://www.stavros-savva-co-ltd.com.cy/product-category/kubota-spare-parts/

Yes, do replace the liners and pistons together. They are inexpensive wet liners that are just held in place with o-rings. They come ready to install so no need to send it out for machine work. You just need to gap the rings and you are good to go.

The shipping was fast and we chatted a bit before the order was placed. The only thing I could not get was one bearing, which fortunately did not need replacement.

Dean
Thanks Dean! They have great prices too! You didn't happen to keep a parts list of what you bought for the rebuild did you?

HealeyBN7

Equipment
B6000 4x4
Aug 3, 2015
Thousand Oaks
The liners are missing. Not sure what happened to them or the status of the rest of the parts whether they are good or not - ie. pistons etc.
An open engine is not a happy engine. Rust is not nice.

You might want to look for a complete ZL600. They are not tricky to rebuild, but with the surface of the block exposed, you will likely have to have it decked. That will mess with the fuel timing and not knowing where you are starting from with respect to the factory shims makes for a more involved reassembly.

When you pick it up, bring the engine parts manual. That will give you a clue what to search for in the seller's garage/shop. You will want to find the fuel distribution unit, injectors, head, timing cover and gears, etc. Some of these parts are dear and easier to find on a complete motor.

Dean

cruiserbill

Equipment
B6000
May 9, 2016
Indiana
An open engine is not a happy engine. Rust is not nice.

You might want to look for a complete ZL600. They are not tricky to rebuild, but with the surface of the block exposed, you will likely have to have it decked. That will mess with the fuel timing and not knowing where you are starting from with respect to the factory shims makes for a more involved reassembly.

When you pick it up, bring the engine parts manual. That will give you a clue what to search for in the seller's garage/shop. You will want to find the fuel distribution unit, injectors, head, timing cover and gears, etc. Some of these parts are dear and easier to find on a complete motor.

Dean
I was worried about the motor being exposed like that. It was inside a shop, but that doesn't stop the rust. I was hoping a machine shop could clean it up proper.

I already picked it up and searched for all the parts best I could. It is what it is. I figured even if I can't get it rebuilt, I could part it out and get more than the $250 I paid (which is more than I wanted to pay, but what the hey).

Any leads on a good used motor? :(

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea I'll second the get a new motor comment.

There is so many issues that come up with a rusted engine.

cruiserbill

Equipment
B6000
May 9, 2016
Indiana
I have been looking for an engine, or a clean block, but haven't found anything yet. The head looks really good as does the rest of the parts as far as rust is concerned; just the block that is worrisome.

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Do you have all the engine parts (the head, fuel injectors, injection pump, valve train, etc.)? It would be a shame to buy pistons/liners overseas then find out you can't finish because your missing something critical or have a cracked head/block or burnt valves or ?.
Before spending any more money, I would do full inventory and check/test all the parts you have. it may turn out that swapping in a different engine is more economical.
Good luck. Looks like you have a handful there. :)

cruiserbill

Equipment
B6000
May 9, 2016
Indiana
Do you have all the engine parts (the head, fuel injectors, injection pump, valve train, etc.)? It would be a shame to buy pistons/liners overseas then find out you can't finish because your missing something critical or have a cracked head/block or burnt valves or ?.
Before spending any more money, I would do full inventory and check/test all the parts you have. it may turn out that swapping in a different engine is more economical.
Good luck. Looks like you have a handful there. :)
I seem to have all that, except for the liners. They are gone. I will do a full inventory when it quits raining, whenever that will be! I have the engine cover as well. It appears to all be there though.

Caveat - it looks like there is a spot on the block that was brazed. I will take a pic of it. Perhaps it cracked and was fixed. If I could find a good block that would be great.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I would be looking for a replacement engine. You have too much missing and a block that looks like it was abandoned because of problems.

Don't risk buying parts that prove to be of no value to you because the block is cracked. It might even look OK outside, but you can't fix a crack internally.

cruiserbill

Equipment
B6000
May 9, 2016
Indiana
I have all the parts, they just aren't on the engine. The original owner said they couldn't find the parts to rebuild it, which is true if you go to the local dealer. They tore the engine apart before they figured out the parts weren't available.

Regardless, I will look around and see if I can find a ZL600 out there. It may take some time though. :/

cruiserbill

Equipment
B6000
May 9, 2016
Indiana
I think I found a good block out of a running tractor for $250. The guy is supposed to send me pics tomorrow. He said it is partially disassembled so I will see what he will include with it, but he said it is just the block.