L1200 bucket cylinder seal replacement

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
My new L245DT has a leaky cylinder on the L1200 FEL. I have a FEL manual that shows exploded views of the cylinders and replacement parts. It's the type of cylinder where the cylinder itself has a slot that a retaining wire ring goes through when you rotate the cylinder head/cap. No luck finding replacment seal parts online yet. Anyone done this job? Are parts available through Kubota, or do I need to get it to a hydraulic shop?

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Well, good news. To my surprise, my local dealer said he could get the cylinder repair kit for $36 and it will be here next week.

I do all my own work on my vehicles and equipment. I rarely ever buy parts from an OEM dealer, almost always better pricing and equipment availability through online aftermarket sources. However, this is not the case in my Kubota parts search so far. My local dealer parts counter comes through again!

I'm honestly quite surprised that my local dealer can get parts for this 30 year old tractor and loader so easily. I really was expecting that I'd have to work a little harder to find parts.

Last edited:

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
My cylinder seal kit came in yesterday and I tackled the job today. All in all it was a piece of cake. The parts set was complete, and the job didn't require any special tools. Very pleased with the job since I hadn't rebuilt a cylinder before today.

jcaravalho

Equipment
L245DT , FEL, WoodSplitter, Snowblower
Oct 15, 2010
denmark me
My new L245DT has a leaky cylinder on the L1200 FEL. I have a FEL manual that shows exploded views of the cylinders and replacement parts. It's the type of cylinder where the cylinder itself has a slot that a retaining wire ring goes through when you rotate the cylinder head/cap. No luck finding replacment seal parts online yet. Anyone done this job? Are parts available through Kubota, or do I need to get it to a hydraulic shop?
would love a copy of the fel manual my fel hydralic pump cracked and blew out the side wall have been unable to find parts number to order a new one would love any help in that dept

bky

Nov 8, 2009
ky
Boy I would also love a copy of the manual I busted the cylinder rod this summer I found one through the local kubota dealer.

lmurray41

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Oct 13, 2014
Elkhorn Wi.
Can anyone describe how to change seals on bucket cylinders for an 1200 loader that is on a L245DT tractor. They seem to have a locking wire, that as you rotate the cylinder cap the wire comes out through the slot?

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I have that wire setup on some Terramite backhoes. I put it in a vice and turn the end cap counterclockwise and the wire comes out as I turn. Replace the seals and hammer another wire in the slot to seal. If you have trouble installing the inner seals due to lack of flexibility, heat the seal in boiling water. I will become pliable until cools. Be certain that you replace the seals the same way they come out. If you forget to do that, remember the seal lip goes toward pressure.

lmurray41

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Oct 13, 2014
Elkhorn Wi.
Dear Rentthis, thank you for your insights, I have one more question, I am pulling on the cylinder rod to get out the rod and the seals, it is very hard to pull out ,is this normal, I have the rod pulled out up to the seal, do I just keep pulling or can I use hydraulic pressure to push out the rod and seals?

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
If I understand where you are at this point, the rod pulled out until the seals caught at the end of the cylinder.Be sure you have removed both hoses and pull like heck it should come out. You might damage the outer o ring but replacing the seals is what you have in mind any way. Punching it out with hydro pressure is a really bad idea. If you haven't removed the hose connections, you might just have a suction problem holding the cylinder in. When it goes back together, oil it liberally. You may have to tap (or a little more) on the end of the rod to get it all past the end.

lmurray41

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Oct 13, 2014
Elkhorn Wi.
Rentthis, thanks. You correctly anticipated my problem, I did not want to unnecessarily break anything. Cracking the suction makes sense.

2458n

Jun 21, 2010
covington ohio
Took mine to local hyd. shop. Did not understand the wire which rolled out turning the end of cylinder. Gave the employee the whole cylinder which he pulled apart in front of me. Seal and o ring was 13.00 Asked him to put it back together for me, which he did while grumbling. Gave him 25.00 dollars and told him it was for farm use and I did not need a bill.