B8200 Steering Box Destroyed

MPope03

Equipment
B8200D, BF300A, BL4520, Howse Box Blade, Cub Cadet 1650
Jan 1, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
I hit a stump with my right front tire this evening and there was a loud snap. Now the steering wheel turns freely like the shaft may be broken. I see a "new" B8200 steering box on Ebay for $450, but I was wondering if I could do power steering for the same price. The articles that i see posted here show the standard steering box output connected to a valve, so that both the original steering arm AND a hydraulic cylinder are in place, like a power-assist instead of true power steering. I would like to know if anyone has tried using the power steering column from a JD 300 or 400 series tractor (the 4 or 5 port), and running from the hydraulic box steering ports to the steering valve, then to just a double acting cylinder for the steering. i realize this would only provide steering when there is hydraulic pressure, but should this work? It looks like something that could be done for less than the $450 for the replacement steering box........The B8200 is a 4x4 gear tractor with FEL and backhoe....

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I hit a stump with my right front tire this evening and there was a loud snap. Now the steering wheel turns freely like the shaft may be broken. I see a "new" B8200 steering box on Ebay for $450, but I was wondering if I could do power steering for the same price. The articles that i see posted here show the standard steering box output connected to a valve, so that both the original steering arm AND a hydraulic cylinder are in place, like a power-assist instead of true power steering. I would like to know if anyone has tried using the power steering column from a JD 300 or 400 series tractor (the 4 or 5 port), and running from the hydraulic box steering ports to the steering valve, then to just a double acting cylinder for the steering. i realize this would only provide steering when there is hydraulic pressure, but should this work? It looks like something that could be done for less than the $450 for the replacement steering box........The B8200 is a 4x4 gear tractor with FEL and backhoe....
I don't think your going to be able to do a power steering or a hydrostatic swap for that cheap, but it worth it.
It's a fair amount of work to change from manual to Hydro static steering.
I'm not sure if the JD hydrostat steering units would work as I'm not sure if they are an open center hydraulic setup, but there is many open center hydrostat control units out there. ;)