L2550 Front Wheel Seal leak

MBA Farm Boss

Equipment
L2550
Jan 29, 2015
Phoenixville, PA
First time Kubota owner here again. I have a 1990 L2550 4wd and I am noticing a small leak at the front right wheel. I'm not too familiar with tractors, but is this just a seal most likely? It begins to leak when after it's been running for a few minutes. I have posted a picture below. It's dirty, but you can see the drip right in the middle. If it is just a seal, is it a pretty straight forward repair? Suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Have you ever removed the fill plug to see if it's building up pressure? Sometimes that's the cause of a small leak and a vent kit would solve the problem.

If it's got UDT fluid in the axle sometimes changing it over to 75w90 gear oil will stop a small leak.

Of course the seal may be bad and none of the above will apply but the first 2 are cheaper and easier to try. Not really sure how bad it is to change the seal out. I've never had to do one yet.

guyvstewart

Equipment
L2250D,Loader BF400G, Box blade, bush hog
Apr 1, 2015
Williston, FL
I have a 1991 L2250DL also, and if you have my kind of luck, you will be pulling the entire front assembly apart and replacing all the bearings and seals. The best way to check the bearings is to lower your bucket down and raise the front end off the ground. Lock the shift in natural, shut it off, and check the play in your tires. Not so much left to right, but up and down. Grab the bottom of the wheel and pull up while pushing in at the top. if you have more the very little play, it's time to replace the bearing. And if you're going to be replacing the front axel bearing, you might as well go ahead and do the front axle case and differential gear shaft. Also, if one side is bad, both sides are bad.

It's going to cost you about $350.00 in parts to do it yourself. If you want a parts list of what you need shoot me an PM and I send you mine.

BTW, that picture of the leak looks just like mine did before the wheel froze up.

Last edited:

MBA Farm Boss

Equipment
L2550
Jan 29, 2015
Phoenixville, PA
Have you ever removed the fill plug to see if it's building up pressure? Sometimes that's the cause of a small leak and a vent kit would solve the problem.

If it's got UDT fluid in the axle sometimes changing it over to 75w90 gear oil will stop a small leak.

Of course the seal may be bad and none of the above will apply but the first 2 are cheaper and easier to try. Not really sure how bad it is to change the seal out. I've never had to do one yet.

Ok, dumb question, but how do I tell if it's building pressure?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Warm up the front end by running it around, shut it off in a quiet spot, pull the cap and you will hear it poof with a little pressure.;)

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia

Like what Wolfman said but I'll add don't stand over the plug you are removing. When mine was leaking before I put the vent I pulled one of my plugs and it blew fluid about 10' high. Maybe not quite that bad but lets just say I had to wash me and the tractor because everything was covered with oil.