B7800 Stalls

boz_22182

Equipment
M7800
Sep 9, 2011
Hillsborough County, Florida
Hey guys,

My 7800 suddenly started stalling. Here's my symptoms.

Idles fine at all RPMs

Stalls in Forward and Reverse in L, M and H.

Stalls in less than 20 feet or so but not as quickly if you go really slow (and I mean really slow)

I don't need to press the clutch, just let off the Fwd/Rvs pedals and it recovers from the stall and goes back to idling fine

Engaging the PTO causes an immediate stall

She starts just fine after the stall

What I've done so far:

Checked fluids. All good.

Oil filter has another 75 hours before it should need replacing. Tran filter another 50 or so.

Replaced fuel filter with a new one and thorough cleaned bowl.

Check both underseat Safety switches and they seem fine.

Checked to make sure Parking brake was disengaged.

Greased Fwd/Rvs Pivot Point

I'm out of ideas. Any help would be most appreciated.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hey guys,

My 7800 suddenly started stalling. Here's my symptoms.

Idles fine at all RPMs

Stalls in Forward and Reverse in L, M and H.

Stalls in less than 20 feet or so but not as quickly if you go really slow (and I mean really slow)

I don't need to press the clutch, just let off the Fwd/Rvs pedals and it recovers from the stall and goes back to idling fine

Engaging the PTO causes an immediate stall

She starts just fine after the stall

What I've done so far:

Checked fluids. All good.

Oil filter has another 75 hours before it should need replacing. Tran filter another 50 or so.

Replaced fuel filter with a new one and thorough cleaned bowl.

Check both underseat Safety switches and they seem fine.

Checked to make sure Parking brake was disengaged.

Greased Fwd/Rvs Pivot Point

I'm out of ideas. Any help would be most appreciated.
IF you rev it up without moving .....it runs fine yes? So it sounds NOT like a fuel problem.

I too think it is a switch, take a wire tie and wrap them for test. Like wolfman said, check the seat switches - tie them all off - then fire her up, cut the ties off and see which one is causing the problem. Electrical tape will work too for the short haul.

boz_22182

Equipment
M7800
Sep 9, 2011
Hillsborough County, Florida
Really thought I isolated safety switches. Went back based on advice and unplugged and jumpered safety switch. All issues cleared. Even with the plunger down completely the issue was still there. Had to bypass it entirely (using a 10amp care fuse for convenience). Truly a lesson in how a thorn hobbles a lion. Ok, well my 7800 aint quite a lion but still.

Thanks everyone. Time will tell if I can bring myself to order a new switch. I'm still a bit irritated.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Really thought I isolated safety switches. Went back based on advice and unplugged and jumpered safety switch. All issues cleared. Even with the plunger down completely the issue was still there. Had to bypass it entirely (using a 10amp care fuse for convenience). Truly a lesson in how a thorn hobbles a lion. Ok, well my 7800 aint quite a lion but still.

Thanks everyone. Time will tell if I can bring myself to order a new switch. I'm still a bit irritated.
Boz,

glad you found the thorn! I hate trouble shooting those dayum safety switches.......on the older riders, what a PITA they can be to get to sometimes.