B7100 front spindle knock???

Zogman

Equipment
B7100
Mar 16, 2014
Lake Elsinore, CA
I normally use my B7100 in 4wd because of the hills and uneven terrain on my property.

Today I was backing up and making a sharp turn and all of the sudden a loud knock started coming out from what appears to be the right front wheel spindle area. I straightened the wheel out and the noise went away. After making a couple more sharp back up turns the noise got worse and now won't go away. It sounds horrible. I'm thinking the axle shaft is messed up in the spindle housing. I'm not sure how it connects to the final drive of the wheel but I'm thinking CV joint of some sorts.

Any thoughts on what I am hearing and how hard it is to fix?
Thanks

Zoli

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I depends on if you have a HST or gear drive transmission. The front axles are totally different for the two types of tractors. Go to the Kubota tractor parts site. You can search B7100 then choose the option of gear drive or HST and look at the diagram of the front axle. The gear drive is listed as B7100D-P and the two versions of the HST are listed as HST old or HST new. If you have 4 lug nuts on the front wheel you have the old type. Six lug nuts you have the new type.

Zogman

Equipment
B7100
Mar 16, 2014
Lake Elsinore, CA
Thanks Sam. I have a regular standard shift transmission with 4 lug fronts. Lifted the tractor up a bit and found the noise is actually the u-joint / yoke of the front driveshaft slipped out of the transfer case output shaft. I'm not sure how to put it back together though. Any thoughts

Zogman

Equipment
B7100
Mar 16, 2014
Lake Elsinore, CA
I was able to slip the yoke back onto the shaft but it appears that the shear pin has sheared so it will fall out again. The angle that the pin is at looks like it will be near impossible to punch or drill it out not to mention driving another pin in there. any tips??/ Thanks

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I was able to slip the yoke back onto the shaft but it appears that the shear pin has sheared so it will fall out again. The angle that the pin is at looks like it will be near impossible to punch or drill it out not to mention driving another pin in there. any tips??/ Thanks
Zog,

anyway you can shoot us some pictures? Take a few and let the experts take a shot. I have a B7100 and would like to know how you fix it ! ;)

Zogman

Equipment
B7100
Mar 16, 2014
Lake Elsinore, CA
Sorry Hokie but I've already taken the tractor off of the jack stands and put it away in the shed. I'll try if I have time this week. The gist is that the inspection hole Is about a 4" x 4" opening and the hole for the shear pin is about a half of an inch away from being able to a straight shot to punch it out.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I have no experience with this problem (yet), but I've been told it it possible to to drive out the sheared pin & drive in a new one from above by drilling a suitable hole in the tunnel…. this comes from a Kubota tech who later f'ed up the installation of my ROPS, so take it with a grain of salt. (or maybe a whole 50lb salt lick)