ZL600 Engine overhaul

elkhunter15

Equipment
B6000
Feb 7, 2013
Longview, Washington
Hi everybody,

I have decided that am going to rebuild my B6000 engine because of two reasons. One: When I drained the motor oil, the majority of it was water (made me sick). Two: The engine has been abused by previous owners (I know them), has alot of hours on it (compression is sub-par) and is just plain wore out. I would like to get an estimate of roughly what you guys think it would cost in parts to do an overhaul. I am on a limited budget, but have lots of time to tinker and work on it. I have no experience overhauling diesels, but I know somewhat how they work and I have done a chevy motor rebuild before (long time ago). Is it very hard to do? How long does it take? Will I have to mess with the pressure pump at all, I have heard they are not for amateurs! I found many overhaul kits online, but none for my engine and all were out of my price range. Any comments will be greatly appreciated!

Elkhunter15

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
You could easily end up with an expensive boat motor. I would first have a knowledgeable mechanic check things out before diving into anything like you are thinking. There might not be as many issues as you think.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Cost wise new pistons rings liners and main bearings plus accociated gaskets and shop work figure on about $1500-2000. Im just reusing my injection pump/injectors though I should probably test the pressure. I was in about the same boat experence wise when I started my rebuild. Wasnt horrible I went slow though. Search L175 Restore thread if you want to get an idea what it entails.