Zirk Fittings Breaking!

Bugs

Equipment
2005 BX23 FEL-BH-SB
Jul 14, 2011
NH
Started to greasing my BX23 last night and 3 out of 6 zirk fittings snapped off from the machine into the head of the grease gun! :confused: Only 2 or 3 treads lef on the zirk. Hope I can get the broken part out and replace them easily! :cool: Anyone else have this problem?

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Started to greasing my BX23 last night and 3 out of 6 zirk fittings snapped off from the machine into the head of the grease gun! :confused: Only 2 or 3 treads lef on the zirk. Hope I can get the broken part out and replace them easily! :cool: Anyone else have this problem?
Happens occasionally. Sounds like yours happened all at once.

It usually happens when the Zerk is recessed in a protective cylinder of some sort and the socket head of the grease gun can't be twisted enough to easily release. You may need a quality replacement head to attach to the Zerks.

A small EZ-out works perfectly to remove the remaining threads. The hole is already in the middle so it is just a matter of tapping in the EZ-out and turning it counterclockwise.

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
Oh what timming, I just sat down to post a complaint on zirk fittings. I dont think the zirk fittings are as good as the use to be or Napa is buying a poor products every other time I use the tractor I grease it and find a few of the fittings are breaking . Where do you fellas buy your grease fittings and do they plug for no good reason ?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I had the same problem, talked to the guy at the dealer ,,,,first thing they said was " you have a really good grease gun" A stupid look promped them saying a really good nozzle wont let go of the zirk head so they said try taking the nozzle apart and removing one ot the couplers, I did the and been useing it ever since.. it still holds well enough to get the grease in but will let go much easyer,,, yeha they said it was a pi$$ poor set up too

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
A lot of grease gun tips are adjustable. If you have a knurled ring on the nozzle, you should be able to lighten the snap ring preload and get it off the zerk easier.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Another poster in this string expressed concerns about zerks plugging.

Try this device or one similar to it: http://www.amazon.com/Alemite-339841-Grease-Fitting-Cleaner/dp/B004ZZNE72

I've had great success, clearing 95-99% of all that I found plugged.

Also every place that sells zerks probably has a specific combination tool for less than maybe $5 that will remove broken zerks, acts as a wrench, other functions (it has four ends, maybe to fit two most common sizes). Years ago I picked up a set of two or three all look alike just in different sizes. Sometimes handier than using an EzEOut.

Bubbie Corrillo

Equipment
L4400HST Landpride 72" Box Scraper, 84" Rear Blade, 76" Tiller, 84" grading Scra
Apr 3, 2012
Snohomish, Washington
I just had a zerk fitting break, 20hrs on tractor, took a good look at the rest of the fittings and noticed the fittings are not even installed properly. a lot of threads showing, not even screwd down to the shoulder, no wonder the zerk fittings are breaking off. I am hopefull this will be covered on the warrenty...poor quality in this area. One of the most important items in owning a tractor, is to be able to maintain it properly...grease fittings breaking concerns me a little...are the holes not tapped far enough....are the Zerk fittings themselves too long..cheap....seems like an important area to neglect. Does anyone know what a properly installed zerk fitting should look like? I assume there should not be any visable threads?

Last edited:

larrysutton

Equipment
mowing,tilling,digging
Jul 19, 2012
elberta al.
i am 30 plus equipment mechanic disabled know sorry to say bad kubota design over many years i have had problems only correction if like my m6800 has counter sunk fittings on loader bucket they break off or will not pull off give it a small pull if will not come off untread female end few treads or use a adapter male needle tip hold pressure pushing straight in as you pump manual gun air or battery operated works great problem is not enough side clearance of hole around fitting an all these cheep china made female end that connects to Zerk fitting good luck finding American made recommend square taper ease out and not china made tap in slowly at first turn counter clock wise i am new to Internet sorry on spelling if drive in to tight will break off then you really have problems good luck my problem much harder 900 hr three point hitch will not go up checked all external areas broke adjustment arm located on top lift arm to small arm going inside top cover for sure i replaced threaded on one end rod bent ninety degree opposite end would correct problem well i was wrong looks like might tear down housing any body got better idea on m6800 just not my day guess kubota caused me lots of work o well i always like a good challenge good luck again on your broke fittings and they most likely metric too Zerk fitting should be threaded in tight some threads may or may not show depends on length of fitting hope i help out