[BX Tie Rod Woes] Time to scrap the BX25?

matyw

Equipment
BX25
Jul 21, 2018
Wasaga Beach, Ontario
OK, I am not ready to scrap the BX but I am all out of tricks.

My tie rods have been shot for a few years now and I have had enough of the wobbly front tires.

I purchased new inner and outer tie rods from the dealer and upgraded boots from eBay.

My main issue is that I can not get the inner tie rod removed on the right side. (and this thing is toast!)

I was lucky enough to get the left side to break first (with the help of penetrating oil), but with a wrench on the slot of the left steering piston, the right is still seized. With lots of penetrating oil, prying the wrench into position, heating it up with a torch it will only strip wrenches and round the slot on the end of the left piston. It seems to be a 22mm but with play, (21mm. is too small).

Any ideas where to go from here would be greatly appreciated!

My second and very minor issue by comparison is that these "upgraded" boots from eBay don't seem brilliant. Because the boots aren't pleated like some aftermarket ones or the originals, they cannot flex properly and it. opens up in the back (not sealed from water). Does anyone have long term success with these? I busted the nylon washer in installation but had a metal one the right size. There are gaps. Not impressed so far. Which are the better boots (stock or "upgrade")?

(Sorry, I am not sure why the forum turned all my photos upside down?)

Many thanks for reading!

Matt

Attachments

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
I can't help you with getting the tie rod off but the bx80 series are better quality than the predecessors. I'd assume they'd fit. I'd post a picture of mine but my BX is out in the rain right now.[emoji53][emoji853]

matyw

Equipment
BX25
Jul 21, 2018
Wasaga Beach, Ontario
I can't help you with getting the tie rod off but the bx80 series are better quality than the predecessors. I'd assume they'd fit. I'd post a picture of mine but my BX is out in the rain right now.[emoji53][emoji853]
Nice Cab! I would hope that they have made many substantial improvements to help with servicing because this job could have been so much easier with a little foresight and common sense. Maybe I would consider a kubota again next time around thanks to your comment.

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Nice Cab! I would hope that they have made many substantial improvements to help with servicing because this job could have been so much easier with a little foresight and common sense. Maybe I would consider a kubota again next time around thanks to your comment.
Thank you! They've made some nice improvements in my opinion. Mpre room left to improve as far as servicing though.

matyw

Equipment
BX25
Jul 21, 2018
Wasaga Beach, Ontario
I got it solved.

After trying everything, the solution to secure the 22mm wrench on the end of the steering shaft was to thread the new ball joint on tightly against the wrench to keep it from slipping off. Then I could torque the right ball joint off and get on with my life.

I hope this helps someone out there!