ZL1802 3PT hydraulics question

ZL1802Proudowner

Equipment
1984 ZL1802
Sep 18, 2017
Lake Charles Louisiana USA
Hello all,

I have a Sunshine Kubota ZL1802 with an intermittent blockage in the 3pt lift. I have already cleaned the canister filter cartridge. Fluid is good. Pump checks good on gauge. My question is this... I know of the hydraulic screens being changed to cartridges after the 1980's. However is it possible for my tractor to have the cartridge filter AND the screen in the tranny? I bought this from a friend who recently passed and he said his dad bought it at an auction 30 years ago and it has done this off and on ever since then. Any input is appreciated.
Thanks

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
If you have a screen on the suction it's gonna be towards the bottom of the transmission. It's either gonna attach to the suction line where it goes into the side of the transmission. Or there is gonna be a cover directly on the opposite side of the transmission from the suction line.

You'll have to drain the transmission fluid again before removing the line or cover. If not you'll end up with a big mess. also there may be a drain plug directly under the area where the screen is for that cavity to get the last bit of oil out of that spot.

If you have a soft line at the hydraulic pump on the suction side. You could very well just have a small leak there where it's sucking air. That would be a simple fix. Just replace the soft line and clamps.

ZL1802Proudowner

Equipment
1984 ZL1802
Sep 18, 2017
DarenTodd,
Thank you for this information. Never thought about air getting into the line. I will check this out when I am around the tractor this weekend. I hope I do not have to drain the fluid but if I have to to get the lift working so be it.

ZL1802Proudowner

Equipment
1984 ZL1802
Sep 18, 2017
Also, do you or anyone else know exactly how much hydraulic oil to put into the tractor once fully drained? The sight glass is no longer clean enough to see the fluid level. I do not want to over fill and bust a seal. From what I have heard on here the transmission on this thing is nearly impossible to find parts for aside from buying a donor tractor.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
On the older tractors, instead of a site glass, they had a plug you removed for transmission fluid level. You just filled the tractor till the fluid started running out the hole. Then installed the plug. You can always remove the site glass and do the same thing.

You can always remove the site glass and clean it. I use brake cleaner. Of course, wear safety glasses and watch your eyes. If it's real bad, you can remove the backing inside of the site glass to actually reach the glass. Let soak, then clean the glass with a rag.

If you know thread and pitch of the site glass, you can Google that size site glass and order a new one. They are fairly common and available on the internet.

The north American equivalent to your tractor is the L235. You can always call a local dealer and order a transmission site glass for the L235.