Battery Light on L2250

banjerpikr

Mar 19, 2015
Galax, Virginia
Why does the battery light burn constantly on my L2250? The owner's manual says it indicates that the fluid level in the battery is low. I checked and it was at the proper level. I tried another battery but the light still burns. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Have you checked to see if the alternator is charging as it should. Most of the time from what I've seen that is a normal cause for a battery light to come on.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Check the voltage going to the battery and make sure it's charging. Should be between 13.5 and 14 volts

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You have a bad alternator and or voltage regulator. ;)

banjerpikr

Mar 19, 2015
Galax, Virginia
Thanks guys.........I'll try that tomorrow and post the results. The strange thing about it is that I have had the same battery in it for 3 years and the light burns all the time. It starts every time no matter what the outside temperature.......from below zero to 80 degrees. Seems to me if the alternator or voltage regulator was bad the battery would die. I've never had to charge it and it always spins the engine same as a new battery would.
I'll let you know what happens.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ok the fact that it burns all the time and hasn't killed the battery is Important.
Ok, got it, The design of that dash makes the light burn if there is no connection to the regulator.
So yes with that wire off it will charge and work normally.

Yes this is rescinding my other post that your altanator or regulator is bad because I didn't realize that the only effect was a light was on. :eek:

Just for a note to all:
Quick way to find out if your alternator is working, with the tractor/car/truck running take a screwdriver and touch the front or back of the alternator shaft, if it sticks magnetically it's working. ;)

Last edited:

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
Just for a note to all:
Quick way to find out if your alternator is working, with the tractor/car/truck running take a screwdriver and touch the front or back of the alternator shaft, if it sticks magnetically it's working. ;)
What about a magneto? Any similar test (other than the VOM)?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thanks guys.........I'll try that tomorrow and post the results. The strange thing about it is that I have had the same battery in it for 3 years and the light burns all the time. It starts every time no matter what the outside temperature.......from below zero to 80 degrees. Seems to me if the alternator or voltage regulator was bad the battery would die. I've never had to charge it and it always spins the engine same as a new battery would.
I'll let you know what happens.
Get cha a volt-ohm meter....check battery voltage off - should be right around 12.6 volts (digital meter) - crank the engine, while cranking it should drop, and then rise close to 14 volts, if nothing really changes, flick on your lights, this should provide enough amp draw to demand the alternators attention, again the volt meter should get up there close to 13.5-14 volts.

I am thinking a broken wire or oxidized connection somewhere!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes there is:
Take your left hand and place it on the magneto output (spark plug) wire, and with your right hand pull the rip cord or turn the key if electric start option is employed.
If you wake up in the hospital, or just on the ground covered in your own urine and puke, Yep it's good! :eek: :p :D

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Reminds me of a time about 1955 or so when I was a lot shorter. Went with Dad to small engine shop. As I was wandering around the shop the old man at the bench told me to, "...hold this wire and let me know if it's got fire when I pull the rope." It did.

Still learning but haven't held many wires since then.

Rough? Perhaps in hindsight and based on todays criteria. But I think kids today are missing something not being taught the "how" to work on things like small engines, in turn leading to big engines and all things mechanical and marvelous. Hard to do with disposable $129 lawnmowers from WM and cars that require a computer to tune. Gone are the days of points gapping with a matchbook to get back home.

Please post back your similar experiences and thoughts on the matter.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
Yes there is:
Take your left hand and place it on the magneto output (spark plug) wire, and with your right hand pull the rip cord or turn the key if electric start option is employed.
If you wake up in the hospital, or just on the ground covered in your own urine and puke, Yep it's good! :eek: :p :D
Crum! It's raining, so maybe I'm not looking as carefully as I should, but I'm not finding the spark plug wires. Guess I'll have to use one of my VOMs (neither of which I can get to work right; the readings are always nonsense, not even close to the voltage or whatever I'm checking!) and try to figure if the battery is getting any charge. :D:p

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Reminds me of a time about 1955 or so when I was a lot shorter. Went with Dad to small engine shop. As I was wandering around the shop the old man at the bench told me to, "...hold this wire and let me know if it's got fire when I pull the rope." It did.

Still learning but haven't held many wires since then.

Rough? Perhaps in hindsight and based on todays criteria. But I think kids today are missing something not being taught the "how" to work on things like small engines, in turn leading to big engines and all things mechanical and marvelous. Hard to do with disposable $129 lawnmowers from WM and cars that require a computer to tune. Gone are the days of points gapping with a matchbook to get back home.

Years ago, I was going through a box of owners manuals my grandfather had acquired when he had his gas station/ garage back in the 40's and 50's. Found some manuals from the 20's and 30's. Original manuals would tell you how to adjust the carburetor, set gaps on points, firing order timing and almost the whole deal to do a complete overhaul on the engine. Now days, the section on how to set up the stereo is thicker then then the first owners manuals in the old cars. And don't cover really anything on the engine to speak of :rolleyes:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
*But I think kids today are missing something not being taught the "how" to work on things like small engines, in turn leading to big engines and all things mechanical and marvelous. Hard to do with disposable $129 lawnmowers from WM and cars that require a computer to tune. Gone are the days of points gapping with a matchbook to get back home.

Stubbyie, I have often envied kids whose folks taught them how to work on stuff. I did have a mentor when I was about 30 that taught me how to work on high vacuum equipment, starting with "keep your long hair tied up, you don't want it to get caught in the belt of the pump", and on to the fact that diffusion pumps if not backed properly or if someone screws up the valving sequence so that the hot oil gets a gulp of oxygen, will catch fire. In any case he had enough faith in me that he left me in charge of this expensive piece of equipment, and said often enough after that well you can figure out how to fix it, that I got the confidence to work on stuff a little bit. I decided we'd arrived as a society a couple years ago when I had one of the vet students working on my farm, and she picked up a broken shovel I had and said she'd take it home with her and weld it. Her dad had taught her. The best students were ones that grew up on farms, they could think for themselves and didn't think the world owed them a living.