B7610 starts but then stalls out - strange fix

Oaken Shade

Equipment
B-7610
Apr 3, 2015
San Juan Capistrano, CA
I have a B-7610 with 600 hrs and it began to stall out after only a minute or so. Did all the usual fixes for what seemed to be an interrupted fuel flow or air lock: new filter, checked hoses and flow to injectors, drain tank and put in fresh fuel, etc. I had exhausted all fixes (even my local Kubota Service mechanic couldn't offer a solution). Then I found a posting on another forum. A Kubota owner had the same problem but found a fix...sort of:

There is a hose on the top of the fuel filter which leads to the top of the fuel tank onto a male barb. Also at the top of the fuel tank is another hose off of another male barb which runs to an injector on top of the engine. The poster found that if he pinched off the hose from the filter to the tank, his tractor ran fine. I did the same and it was an instant fix!! He then disconnected the two hoses leaving the fuel tank (one of which is the one to the fuel filter) , coupled them together with a fitting, thus by-passing the fuel tank and he has been operating his tractor this way ever since. Same works for me but I do not want to run my tractor this way and risk causing another problem.

In reviewing Kubota info, this hose is to allow the engine to self-bleed the fuel system.

When I start the tractor with everything connected as normal, I can visually see the gas in the fuel cup go down to where the engine starts to sputter and die. When I pinch off the hose, the engine recovers and all is well. Seems to me that when the hose is left open it is pulling air in from somewhere, or causing another part of the fuel system to pull in air, causing an air lock.

If these hoses are for self-bleeding, I assume they function by allowing any air in the line to escape back into the tank, so a blockage should cause the problem and not fix it???

As much as I am grateful for the fix, I do not want to run the tractor for long with these hoses by-passing the tank.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Makes me want to think the filter base has some trash in it that's almost got it stopped up. When you pinch the line it applies all the pressure back to the base and it then makes the fuel go to the filter as it should. That just a guess.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
"I can visually see the gas in the fuel cup go down to where the engine starts to sputter and die."

This isn't REALLY what you saw, is it?

I'd suggest you not be in the habit of calling your fuel GAS, because sooner or later someone WILL put GAS in there!!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The 2 small lines that go back to the tank are fuel overflow lines.
You need to check fuel flow out of the tank and fuel flow out of the fuel pump.
You also need to check the vent in the cap as that will cause it to suck air.

Attachments

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
take off the cap and see if it dies. If not and putting the cap back on, it dies, you have blocked cap vents. If it doesn't change, I'd clean my entire fuel line system, all the little ports, all the lines, the injectors, everything. You might have blockage somewhere in the system.