Zd331 mower transmission service, please help

Tstorbak

Equipment
Zd331
Mar 14, 2015
Senoia, ga
Picked up a used zd331 zeroturn, going through a servicing everything. After draining all 12.1qts transmission fluid (3plugs, one under transmission, one on each wheel motor) i replaced the 2 filters and then started to add fluid. The manual says pour slowly as it takes a while for oil to get down into everything, but i must have been pouring too fast because after around 7qts it wouldnt take any more. Ive now gotten about 10qts in total but its taken forever, im guessing there is a bunch of air locked up in it. Ive tried waiting (its been 2 days since i started this) and Ive tried shaking the mower. Should I run the engine for a few seconds maybe with the wheels jacked up? Or maybe redrain and refill much slower? Any help or knowledge of this much appreciated. Surely theres a better way as Im sure kubota service guys can wait this long to perform a change.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If it was mine and I already had 10 qts in I would crank it up and run it so the rest of the air could be worked out of the system. After that recheck the level and add as needed.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Good deal. I remember that the hyd system on my brothers Scag was hard to work with right after a fluid change. Glad it worked out and now you know what your dealing with the next time.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Sounds like you've got this under control but I'll offer my experiences for other users.

We've got a competing brand commercial mower approximately equivalent to Kubota. My bet is most all the top-line brands use the same basic components. I don't think Kubota or anybody else--as regards mower hydraulic systems--manufactures their own hydraulc drive motors from a raw chunk of steel: they use some supplier, e.g., Eaton or similar--even though the part may have a Kubota part number.

Anywhich, I had the same problem refilling the hydraulic fluid (slow, bubbling, burping air) into the drive system. I finally looked closely at the schematic parts breakdown and discovered an Allen-wrench head plug at the very top of the drive motor, one on each side.

The plug doesn't seem to serve any purpose, didn't have any springs or balls shown under it, and was lock-tighted solidly in place. A tiny bit of heat from a torch warmed an Allen wrench and liquified the threadlocker. Out she came.

Now I've got a vent. When refilling fill from the bottom after removing the top formerly threadlocked vent. When fluid reaches the vent, reinstall both plugs.

Later I asked the Senior Tech at the dealer and he admitted that's how they do it--refill fluid--because it's faster, but the procedure isn't shown in the Owner's Manual nor in the Shop Manual. The Tech said he's been told by the Mfr Field Rep that the plug is indeed a vent but used only at the factory to fill the system "for speed during assembly", then threadlocked and forgotten about.

So three things: (1) check the equipment itself and (2) check the parts schematic for 'hidden' features, and (3) talk with your local knowledgeable service department.

Please post other experiences along this line so we may all learn.