engine heaters

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
I'm looking at putting in an engine heater for this winter. I'm thinking a lower radiator heater. I've read lots of posts on the subject. One thing I didn't find was if there is enough room to install a lower radiator hose heater. Looks pretty tight in there. D902 engine.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I would always default to a freeze plug heater if at all possible, and then to the lower radiator one. Magnetic oil heaters can only keep up with mildly cold temps.

The freeze plug heater actually sits in the engines coolant and directly heats it. The lower radiator one also heats the coolant but outside the engine and up into the radiator as well, so it's heating water that's getting serious active cooling too and losing effectiveness against the cylinders and head which is where you want the heat for starting.

I have no idea if a D902 engine can handle a freeze plug style heater.

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
I agree with Wolfman, having a diesel truck the block heater keeps the oil and antifreeze warm. Easier starts and the engine heats up in half the time. I installed that block heater on by BX this spring. Ready for this winter after last winter. I wasnt very comfortable installing it, but it was very easy. I went ahead and flushed the cooling system since about half the antifreeze had to be drained. Mowed all summer and no leaks, used loctite, painted, and used also electrical grease, all per instructions. Short of having good winter diesel, I'm ready. :D

Cal270

Equipment
4060 HSTC,LP1258,1672,1860,1672,ballast box,& HermanSupply fel snowplow
Jun 23, 2014
Mid-Michigan
Dealer just installed Kubota block heater on my 4060.
Soft plug used was left side of engine just above the starter.
Cut the end off an old extension cord and plugged it inti the block heater plug to keep it clean.
After last winter here in MI, I wanted a block heater!

Hai

Equipment
Kubota L3400 HST
Mar 2, 2014
Virginia

84cj

Equipment
Bx1800, 60 inch mower, front snowblower and bucket.
Aug 8, 2013
Gorham, Maine
I agree with Wolfman, having a diesel truck the block heater keeps the oil and antifreeze warm. Easier starts and the engine heats up in half the time. I installed that block heater on by BX this spring. Ready for this winter after last winter. I wasnt very comfortable installing it, but it was very easy. I went ahead and flushed the cooling system since about half the antifreeze had to be drained. Mowed all summer and no leaks, used loctite, painted, and used also electrical grease, all per instructions. Short of having good winter diesel, I'm ready. :D
Exactly. It warms coolant and the block. Rad hose heater heats the coolant and surrounding air....

mike paulson

Jan 11, 2012
ulster, NY
I luvs me block heater, it makes me feel all warm n fuzzy when starting my tractor on a 5 degree morn and there's not all that smoke n clatter..

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Wolfman, I located the block heater for my L3400 on the Coleman website and want to get one but mechanically I am not comfortable to tackle it. Where does this go on the engine? How difficult is it? I'd like to get some idea to see if it's something I can do myself or I have to get help from my mechanic friend. Thanks.
I will get back to you in a bit on where it goes, running out the door right this second, location also determines how hard of an install it will be. ;)