Replacing an unavailable rear wheel L245DT

DougMatthews

Jun 24, 2016
Duvall, WA
Have an ancient L245DT that sees very-occasional light use.

The real wheel has rusted/discentegrated around the valve stem. Apparently the wheel 34219-29750 (9x24) is no longer available and 32470-27650 (10x24) is the replacement.

New wheel has different way to attach disk to wheel (see pics).

Les Schwab suggested I might have a welding shop cut off the disk mounting flange from old wheel and weld to new.

Seems with some longer bolts (disk to wheel) and maybe a thin spacer (washer?) between the disk and the wheel (see pic for clearance between new wheel and fender) I can get the job done and maintain the same tire center line. This would also put the valve stem to the inside of the wheel.

Does this seem like a workable approach? Anything dangerous I should be aware of?

(note the thin bolt holding the disk to the wheel is just to hold it all together for evaluation - I would use proper hardware for the real deal)

Attachments

Last edited:

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
The only problem is the difference in the circumference of the tires. They need to have the correct ratio with the front tires so that you do not mess up the 4x4.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
+1. lead-lag has to match or you'll eventually destroy the front differential.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: The real wheel has rusted/discentegrated around the valve stem.

You don't show the damage ( I assume calcium rot....) but you can usually repair/restore 'rotted out' rims, BTDT. If small enough, like valve stem are, small pieces of steel welded in, larger , find a donor rim and install a 'section'.
One rim I replaced about a 1/4 of the rim. For valve stem rot, drill another hole in the rim, patch the old hole area.

If the tire did have calcium in it, be sure to wash and rinse the entire rim at least 3 times and do the lick test ! If reusing the tube and tire ,the same applies !!

Jay

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
re: The real wheel has rusted/discentegrated around the valve stem.

You don't show the damage ( I assume calcium rot....) but you can usually repair/restore 'rotted out' rims, BTDT. If small enough, like valve stem are, small pieces of steel welded in, larger , find a donor rim and install a 'section'.
One rim I replaced about a 1/4 of the rim. For valve stem rot, drill another hole in the rim, patch the old hole area.

If the tire did have calcium in it, be sure to wash and rinse the entire rim at least 3 times and do the lick test ! If reusing the tube and tire ,the same applies !!

Jay
Actually, baking soda and a good pressure wash beats the tongue test.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Will 1" wider wheel really make that much rolling circumference difference?

@GreensvilleJay - I attached a pic of the wheel damage.

@007kubotaguy - PM sent.

Thanks,

Doug
Acute CACL damage... Never use that junk.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
That rim is quite repairable ! providing you've got a donor for a section, it's a pleasent afternoons job. cut/fit/weld..grind/clean/paint.. you can drill a new valve stem hole BTW.

Jay

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I don't know Jay, she's pretty ate up and who knows what the rest of the rim looks like and then there is the issue of a donor rim with the same curves... I guess it you can find a suitable rim you could section it and butt weld in a piece. Glue gun works wonders on that stuff.:eek:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
that's EASY compared to some I've done in the past. as long as you get back to solid steel and the donor's the same style, simple butt welds will be fine. drill another valvestem hole and deburr.
done right, it'll outlive the owner's grankids.....
the big thing is do NOT put calcium back in !!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
that's EASY compared to some I've done in the past. as long as you get back to solid steel and the donor's the same style, simple butt welds will be fine. drill another valvestem hole and deburr.
done right, it'll outlive the owner's grankids.....
the big thing is do NOT put calcium back in !!
Additionally, if there is CACL in the other tire, get it out, check the rim inside for corrosion, sand and repaint if necessary and replace the tube

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
If it had CaCl in there just wash good, sand blaster is better.
Use vinegar, if calcium metal, as the metal reacts with water to form calcium hydroxide which is strongly alkaline kind of like lye.
Baking soda is slightly alkaline and won't do anything.

Last edited:

DougMatthews

Jun 24, 2016
Duvall, WA
Reached out to Lance about a replacement wheel of correct dimension.

Fluid coming out of ruptured tube is very salty, so likely CACL. Will go with fresh ballast for new setup and ensure it is not CACL.

Attached a pic of the whole wheel as some folks speculating on repair-ability. While it may be repairable, I lack the donor wheel and equipment needed to do the job.

Thanks,
Doug

rut3556

Equipment
L2250, TG1860
Oct 23, 2015
NH, USA
I had the same problem with the rear wheels on my L2250. They were rotted out due to calc. and no longer offered by Kubota. I ended up have a new set made by Wold Rim out in Iowa. Yeah, it was an expensive proposition (~$1500.00 all in) but I really had no other option. They were drop shipped to my local dealer who took care of the changeover. I will say, these rims are MUCH better than the originals, quality wise! :)

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
I just ordered a replacement set from aftermarket.farm - just over $200 Canuck pesos and free shipping.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
If the rim will take the same tire as original spec, and the rim bolts on the original wheel, there is no reason the rolling diameter should be any different and it would not damage the 4WD. Mine are to be delivered today, my tire shop has the tires waiting to mount and load, so I will report back, but I would be surprised if there is a difference.