Time to upgrade

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I assume Yanmar. Come to think of it is the whole tractor Yanmar or does Deere make parts of it?
Right. Years ago when I bought my blue tractor the deere was running a yakashita (sp?) diesel or something like that.

This time around the Kubota was the most American made of them all.

When I think of a Deere compact I think,
What kind of motor are they running in (That) (Model) (Today)?

Last edited:

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
I assume Yanmar. Come to think of it is the whole tractor Yanmar or does Deere make parts of it?
Yep it's a Yanmar. They make pretty solid stuff. My 87 332 has a Yanmar. I believe JD designs the tractor now - it's not just a rebadged unit designed by someone else. JD makes a nice machine. The Kubota B01 series is just a really nice fit for us - a lot of capability in a small package.

I talked to my local dealer yesterday. Sounds like they are about as low as they can go give or take 50 bucks maybe. He did mention additional discount dollars from Kubota (outside of the standard implement and cash discount) - but something about it needing to be used within the month and he wasn't sure if the timing would work out. I don't know what that means? Should I be looking more into that? Does Kubota itself sometimes offer some additional cash to help get deals done?

One thing I did notice on the B2601 I drove was man the hydro pedal was stiff - especially in reverse. Parking brake wasn't on. A lot stiffer than my dads L series. Same story with the loader joystick - seemed awfully stiff compared to my dads L series. Does that loosen up with time?

Greg

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Green or Orange, both great tractors.

If I'm not mistaken, I think Green still uses a 2 speed hydrostat trans in all 1 series thru the smaller 3 series tractors? That would be a "nay" for me.

The other thing I would look for are the "deluxe" telescoping three point hitch limiters in the Kubotas. Not sure if the B-01 series has them. I think so, but I'm just not sure.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Greg,

I just purchased a new Kubota machine, after looking around at used machines. I found a used machine with 20 hours and started looking at it. I thought I would ask for a new price as a check and ended up buying a new machine for 13% less than the used machine I looked at!

My dealer got me to a point in pricing where I was happy with the deal but I was uncertain due to all that is going on in the world. He eventually came back to me and told me that Kubota was giving dealers "money" to assist with sales during Covid 19. I got approximately another 3% of my already great deal, it was enough to make me pull the trigger.

I think now is a great time to buy if you have the money, push your dealer for the extra Kubota discount money but as he said you will have to close the deal and take delivery quickly.

Good luck with your decision.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
Greg,

I just purchased a new Kubota machine, after looking around at used machines. I found a used machine with 20 hours and started looking at it. I thought I would ask for a new price as a check and ended up buying a new machine for 13% less than the used machine I looked at!

My dealer got me to a point in pricing where I was happy with the deal but I was uncertain due to all that is going on in the world. He eventually came back to me and told me that Kubota was giving dealers "money" to assist with sales during Covid 19. I got approximately another 3% of my already great deal, it was enough to make me pull the trigger.

I think now is a great time to buy if you have the money, push your dealer for the extra Kubota discount money but as he said you will have to close the deal and take delivery quickly.

Good luck with your decision.
Thanks so much for that information.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
Yes the pedals loosen up over time as the parts wear together bolts can loosen a little bit as everything finds it's place. As far as the additional cash off it might be the dealer not having a the exact machine in stock or with 2 weeks left in the month he won't know if he has the time for you to finish making your rounds (nothing wrong there you know the old saying "measure twice cut once, crap I cut it too short time to hide it from the wife") and get the PDI done in time so the equipment is off his lot by the deadline.

I think these dealers don't have that much room to move on the tractors because unlike car dealers what they count on is return business for additional implements, parts, oil, maintenance and the like. So they take a hit on the initial sale to lock in 5, 10, or 30 years of return clients to keep the doors open.

Something that might work is give the dealers a call and say something along the lines of: "If you can do 25k all together I'll come in and sign for it Friday." They may be able to make that work or if they both come back at the same number then they are probably at their bottom. At that point you can either walk, go with the lowest price, or go with the dealer you like the most. It is all based on what you value this stuff at and maybe this month/year just isn't the month/year that you see the tractor being worth that 25.5k.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
I'm going to pull the trigger with my local dealer. The the dealer offered $100 more and the Kubota rep offered $300 more. So for reference, here's where we are at (sorry my list of items has changed a few times)

B2601
R14 tires
54" QA bucket
BH70
10" BH bucket

Breakdown:
$27,582 MSRP
$23,996 after 13% dealer discount

Discounts and other:
-$1,500 (cash bonus, 2 implement bonus)
+$350 (cost to install BH)
-$100 (dealer extra cash off)
-$300 (Kubota cash off)

$22,466 after discounts and BH install fee

$23,785 out the door (after 5.5% sales tax on machine AND rebates)

I'm going to search for a deck (with proper attachment items) on FB as the summer goes by.

Sounds like it will be a June delivery on the tractor and July delivery on the BH. I thought I was going to struggle to get excited for an Orange machine (compared to Green) but man, not going to lie, I feel like a 5 year old right now :eek:

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
awesome!

One question I have for you is why the 10 inch bucket for the BH? I wouldn't suggest that at all. They are like tea spoon size. If you have any clay soil, you'll be cussing yourself as that bucket is so small that the clay will stick inside of it. :mad:

12" is typical size for (BX23) BH601 and 16" is typical for (B2650) BH77. I'd recommend a 12" bucket for your machine at a minimum. If you intend on moving rocks, logs etc, you'd appreciate a mechanical thumb.

In any event, congrats on your decision. :D

Reactions: 1 user

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
awesome!

One question I have for you is why the 10 inch bucket for the BH? I wouldn't suggest that at all. They are like tea spoon size. If you have any clay soil, you'll be cussing yourself as that bucket is so small that the clay will stick inside of it. :mad:

12" is typical size for (BX23) BH601 and 16" is typical for (B2650) BH77. I'd recommend a 12" bucket for your machine at a minimum. If you intend on moving rocks, logs etc, you'd appreciate a mechanical thumb.

In any event, congrats on your decision. :D

I thought I would get the small one for doing "little work" around the house.

I'm honestly a little worried about being inexperienced and having too big a front bucket or rear bucket and over doing it on the machine.

I also plan on trenching my power and water (4' deep) to the new shop - through mostly non maintained area (so I'm not too worried about getting a trencher). So I guess the wider bucket won't matter if I'm not ripping up much lawn area.

EDIT: I switched my order to the 16" bucket. I just looked - you can buy an aftermarket 6" bucket so if I need something super small i'll try that or maybe even build one.

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I'm honestly a little worried about being inexperienced and having too big a front bucket or rear bucket and over doing it on the machine.
Pretty sure you can't overdo it. If the hydraulics can move it, then the machine can handle it. If the hydraulics can't move it, then it won't break. So long as you're not taking a run up at things or slamming into them, the machine should be fine.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
I am not doing the 3rd function valve (yet). I do think I will add that someday. I would add that myself.

As far as rear remote hydraulics, what type of implements would you run off those? I understand those are different than the power beyond which supplies the backhoe?

Also, good news, the tractor should have been shipped last week and should arrive this coming week. Way ahead of schedule. Backhoe won’t be here until July though.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Rear hydraulics are used for any implement on the 3ph that takes hydraulic power. I know, not helpful.

Most common examples I see are tilt and top for a box blade. And to my mind on a small tractor it's easy enough to lean over the back and manually adjust. If you were grading a long driveway, and wanted frequent adjustment for some reason, then tilt and top would be quite useful.

You could also use them for an offset flail mower - used to tilt it and move it in and out. If you were mowing around dams or road sides. But I've seen guys just plumb from the FEL controls for that - since the loader stick is a bit more convenient to use for an implement that needs constant adjustment.

Otherwise you're into real farm implements - maybe a seed drill or a log splitter or something like that that takes hydraulic power.

As you can see.....I'm stretching for what sort of implement on a B2301 would use rear remotes and that you'd use often enough that just plumbing to the FEL would be inconvenient.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I will be curious to hear how you like those tires.

man00

Jul 3, 2013
okla
Hi Greg,

Just thinking out loud to see if you can see my reasoning: maybe don't get the backhoe, and find other ways to do the work the BH would do. Or, rent a mini excavator when you need one? I see you're in WI, maybe near me, and I can get a Bobcat miniex from AtoZ for $300-400 for a whole weekend. Do you have or plan to make use of the BH enough to offset that cost vs renting?

Regards!
Schmitty
Wow! that is heck of a deal, around here you can't even rent small stump grinder for that