Kubota RTV XG850 Sidekick Experience?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
"And the lead mechanic is buying my Honda Foreman too. It's a 94 with 344 hours on it."

Less than 14 hours a year makes one wonder why you even bought it.
I didn't, my wife did. I use it as a spray rig and it goes up north rarely to haul my butt around the property.

Wife is buying this one as well. I suspect it will get used more than the Honda in as much as it has more utility than a quad does.

I put my 'hours' on my tractors. People on here seem to put few hours on them. I'm the opposite. Put few hours on the quad, huge hours on the tractors.

The M9 cab I bought new has almost 2000 on it and I've already put 150 on the open station M9 I bought in the spring.

I read on here people with a decade old tractor that has maybe 200 hours on it.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
My better half buys lots of things that don't get much use. I wish they were machines, at least then I'd be likely to get use from them.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I believe she is buying the Sidekick more for the bed than anything else. The issue with the quad is stuff tends to fall off the racks, feed bags, hay bales or whatever fall off for her as she traverses the ground to the feedlot. Won't happen with a bed and I bet she decides she wants the electric bed lift later on down the road (815 bucks) that I passed on. 815 bucks for a linear actuator and some brackets and a wiring harness is pretty steep.

I don't care really. My spray rig fastens on to the back rack securely and when I take it up north it does just fine. Not sure the side by side will be as agile in the woods but we will find out I guess.

I'm thinking 3 for the Honda in as much as the hours are extremely low and it's lived a pampered life.

man00

Jul 3, 2013
okla
I believe she is buying the Sidekick more for the bed than anything else. The issue with the quad is stuff tends to fall off the racks, feed bags, hay bales or whatever fall off for her as she traverses the ground to the feedlot. Won't happen with a bed and I bet she decides she wants the electric bed lift later on down the road (815 bucks) that I passed on. 815 bucks for a linear actuator and some brackets and a wiring harness is pretty steep.

I don't care really. My spray rig fastens on to the back rack securely and when I take it up north it does just fine. Not sure the side by side will be as agile in the woods but we will find out I guess.

I'm thinking 3 for the Honda in as much as the hours are extremely low and it's lived a pampered life.
The bed lift was one of the reasons I said kubota accessories were too high for me.
I dunno about this one
https://www.surpluscenter.com/Brand...-lbs-12-Volt-DC-Linear-Actuator-5-1680-12.axd

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
My wife just bought us a new kitchen suite. That with the new granite counters, sink, etc. will be less than a UTV. That said a friend has a Honda (1000?) with back seats for the grand kids. We've had 5 adults in that thing running steep canyons, pretty impressive. Father in law has a pair of Polaris's but those things are spendy. Look at the Honda if you haven't bought yet.

man00

Jul 3, 2013
okla
My wife just bought us a new kitchen suite. That with the new granite counters, sink, etc. will be less than a UTV. That said a friend has a Honda (1000?) with back seats for the grand kids. We've had 5 adults in that thing running steep canyons, pretty impressive. Father in law has a pair of Polaris's but those things are spendy. Look at the Honda if you haven't bought yet.
I looked at the Honda 700, sales person didn't seem to care and couldn't stay off his cell phone long enough to answer any questions I had. Now he was very young but the whole deal left me with kinda of a negative outlook. I'm sure the Honda is a very well made machine and could do anything the other can do. Not sure but I think the Honda doesn't have the drive belts like the others?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The sidekick (Kubota has a CVT trans (aka: belt drive) but according to the specs, it (belt) is fan cooled. We only need a 2 seater, only 2 of us.

I'm asking 3 for the Foreman 400 quad I have. It's mint. Always kept in the garage, always maintained properly.

Have 3 interested parties already, first one with the funds, gets it.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
3K is good for the Foreman. I could get that for my Rancher but then I'd have to spend 7ish on a new one.
No logical reason to keep it with the UTV coming. I really don't want to sell it but I have enough 'stuff' hanging around now.

I thought 3 was a good, fair asking price in as much as the extremely low hours and it was never beat on.

Will make someone a nice quad.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Nice find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good find. I ordered one. The brackets are already under the bed for the actuator. Lots less jack that the 800 Kubota wants for the bed lift.

I've found 2 faults with the RTV that needs addressed. One I can address myself, the other will be a dealer addressed issue.

First is the accelerator pedal. It's positioned way too high. You cannot rest your heel on the floor and depress the pedal. You have to keep your foot suspended off the floor. Consequently, it's difficult to control the speed and your foot cramps up after a time... I believe I'll remove the pedal and linkage, remove the pedal from the linkage rod and reweld it lower or extend the rod to place the fuel pedal closer to the floor.

Secondly, the drive mechanism is 'jerky'. Only way to explain it. Low speed in either low range or high range is an exercise in futility. It's very hard to modulate the movement. When I put the vehicle in the shop, space is tight and I have to be very careful not to run into anything. I have to shut ot off, put it in neutral and physically push it into it's parking place.

I discussed that with my dealer and he's discussing it with Kubota. Hopefully they come up with a fix.

On another note, I sold the quad for what I asked for it, 3K. Sold it in 2 days to a good friend. I had no qualms about selling it to him as there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. Will make a good addition to his family. They have no kids, just him and his wife. I asked him how he liked it and his reply was, I haven't rode it. Wife rides it all the time....lol

The Sidekick fits nicely in the shop. It's tight but doable so it will reside in a heated and air conditioned enviroment.

Finally, I added a 5000 pound winch from Harbor Freight, 5K Badland ATV winch. I put one on the quad a couple years ago (2500 pound) and it worked flawlessly. I expect the 5K winch to be the same.

The 5K Harbor Freight winch install was 'plug and play'. The winch plate lined up perfectly with the already punched holes in the front winch mount base in the Sidekick. I did have to modify the Kubota brush guard a little to clear the roller fairlead, just a bit of grinding and a repaint (it's flat black factory) to clear.

Difficult part was routing the winch cables from the control (solenoid) box to the battery. I used stranded welding cable, neoprene sheathed with crimp on Tweco copper lugs to supply the winch power. I had the remove the belly pan (skid plate) as well as the right hand front wheel to access the underside to route the cables and lots of zip ties the keep them tucked in and out of the way of existing components. Kind of a difficult task. The 5K winch is a lanyard controlled winch so I mounted the access plug under the hood as well. The lanyard is 10 feet long, plenty long to work standing by the Sidekick or seated inside if necessary. Nice winch. Quiet and power in, power out plus it freewheels if necessary.

Kubota wanted 600 for their winch (Superwinch) branded Kubota. Got mine for $133 bucks with a 25% off coupon and $110 for the welding cable and the copper lugs. The Kubota winch don't come with cables, just the winch, roller fairlead, lanyard and mount plate. Labor for install would be the same procedure and if done at the dealer, at their shop rate.

I still want to add mudflaps. The rear tires really toss the mud up and it goes everywhere. Mudflaps would mitigate that to some degree.

Attachments

Last edited:

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Does Kubota use a wet clutch along with the CVT? My previous Ranger did not and it was jerky starting out, almost impossible to slowly inch forward or reverse. When I got the Mule Pro MX one of the first things I noticed was when I put in the garage how smooth it was to inch up to the log splitter. With the Ranger I did like you simply put it in neutral and pushed it up close.

.....Secondly, the drive mechanism is 'jerky'. Only way to explain it. Low speed in either low range or high range is an exercise in futility. It's very hard to modulate the movement. When I put the vehicle in the shop, space is tight and I have to be very careful not to run into anything. I have to shut ot off, put it in neutral and physically push it into it's parking place.

I discussed that with my dealer and he's discussing it with Kubota. Hopefully they come up with a fix.....

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Don't know but I'm sure I'll have an answer when my dealer gets back from Grapevine on Thursday. Transmission hold 2.5 quarts of SUDT2. Coming up on the 30 hour change of engine oil and transmission oil.

Chopped the cattle pastures yesterday and hooked the big Fuerst tine drag to the Sidekick. Pulled it in high range in 2wd, no issue. The Honda Foreman would work pretty hard pulling it. Didn't even know it was back there with the Sidekick.

Like I said, needs rear mudflaps, probably front ones as well. The rear tires really throw up the mud and it gets under the bed and it's a pizzer to wash off.

Quad is gone. Sold it to a good friend. Asked him if he's used it. His reply was NO. My wife commandeered it.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Don't know but I'm sure I'll have an answer when my dealer gets back from Grapevine on Thursday. Transmission hold 2.5 quarts of SUDT2......

OK it must have a wet clutch, or maybe it's hydrostatic? Either should be smooth though. Maybe you could demo one at your dealer to compare?

FUSE

Equipment
B3350-B2650-Z125s-KX008-Bobcat MT100-Case/Davis TF310
May 24, 2017
North Dakota
Its not hydrostatic, it uses a cvt. Id be curious if its setup like polaris cvt or a yamaha (better) cvt. One thing i find interesting is kubota uses the roll cage for ducting the engine and clutch cover.....

man00

Jul 3, 2013
okla
Don't know but I'm sure I'll have an answer when my dealer gets back from Grapevine on Thursday. Transmission hold 2.5 quarts of SUDT2. Coming up on the 30 hour change of engine oil and transmission oil.

Chopped the cattle pastures yesterday and hooked the big Fuerst tine drag to the Sidekick. Pulled it in high range in 2wd, no issue. The Honda Foreman would work pretty hard pulling it. Didn't even know it was back there with the Sidekick.

Like I said, needs rear mudflaps, probably front ones as well. The rear tires really throw up the mud and it gets under the bed and it's a pizzer to wash off.

Quad is gone. Sold it to a good friend. Asked him if he's used it. His reply was NO. My wife commandeered it.
I agree about the mudflaps, I hope Kubota can come up with something with the jerky throttle at slow speeds but I wouldn't count on it.

Last edited:

FUSE

Equipment
B3350-B2650-Z125s-KX008-Bobcat MT100-Case/Davis TF310
May 24, 2017
North Dakota
I will post a review on mine once i put more hours on it. Had a ranger 900xp before so i can compare it to that. We have the full cab w/ heat on order and will be putting the tracks from the x1100c on it for winter.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Its not hydrostatic, it uses a cvt. Id be curious if its setup like polaris cvt or a yamaha (better) cvt. One thing i find interesting is kubota uses the roll cage for ducting the engine and clutch cover.....
Not exactly. The cooling air for the clutch assembly comes from a duct that is above the frame rail under the bed and exhausts via the roll cage but the combustion air for the engine comes via a plastic duct that runs from the air cleaner, under the floor and above the skid pan to the front of the vehicle and ends above the right inner fender.

Kubota uses a CVT with a one way clutch so you have decel braking which a normal CVT don't have.