Buying an L4701. 2017 vs 2018

Tucker Someday

Mar 26, 2019
Jackson, NH
Hi folks. New to this forum but learning a lot here. I am in the process of buying a new L4701 HST with loaded tires, FEL and a 3rd valve function for future grapple purchase.

I got a quote, this is in NH, for that package for about 10% under MSRP on Kubotas website which seems like it may be ok. But maybe I don’t know any better. My question really is that the machine is a 2017. Should I ask for a discount because it is a 2017? Or are there improvements between 2017 & 2018 where I should ask for the newer 2018? I didn’t ask and though the dealership seemed like straight shooters and very nice, it didn’t seem like there was room for negotiation.

In case anyone is interested, this machine will replace a 1990 B9200 and a 1957 Ford 641 Workmaster with FEL.

Also, for what it’s worth, I know everyone recommends going up to the MX4800 but I need to keep, width, height and weight down as much as possible while not compromising FEL ability too much. Seems like The 4701 hits that sweet spot for me.

I appreciate any advice on the year issue or any other buying tips. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
My only concern would be faded paint and plastic since it***8217;s most likely been sitting out that long. I***8217;m not sure on any changes.

It***8217;s a slow selling tractor because as you***8217;ve seen, it***8217;s easy to justify stepping it up to the MX. The dealer just wants it moved.

Tucker Someday

Mar 26, 2019
Jackson, NH
My only concern would be faded paint and plastic since it***8217;s most likely been sitting out that long. I***8217;m not sure on any changes.

It***8217;s a slow selling tractor because as you***8217;ve seen, it***8217;s easy to justify stepping it up to the MX. The dealer just wants it moved.

Thanks for the response. Funny you should mention the faded paint. The machine I was looking at look good and bright orange. But the loader frame was quite faded. He said they would swap that out for a new loader. But glad to hear that you aren’t aware of big changes between 2017 and 18.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Thanks for the response. Funny you should mention the faded paint. The machine I was looking at look good and bright orange. But the loader frame was quite faded. He said they would swap that out for a new loader. But glad to hear that you aren’t aware of big changes between 2017 and 18.

I am by no means an expert so hopefully if there was a major change, someone smarter than me will chime in.

The faded paint on the loader tells me it was sitting out a while. Definitely compare the paint on the rest of the tractor to a fresher model for a good comparison. The paint used on the front end loader (FEL) seems to be of lesser quality UV resistant wise must like orange Land Pride implements.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
There were some very minor changes made that nobody really knows about, and nothing that makes it any different externally. The HST got machined a little differently so that it's a little more reliable, not that the '17's weren't. Kubota makes changes all the time if their engineers see a potential to improve something. It is a VERY good tractor that we do not see very often in the shops. About the only time I see them is for PM and sometimes a fuel level sensor if it's been sitting with an empty tank for a few years, and that's VERY rare (2 that I can remember since they came out).

Tucker Someday

Mar 26, 2019
Jackson, NH
Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess I am ready to write the check and make it happen. Now I wonder if they have any wiggle room on price. Do folks find that Kubota Dealers usually negotiate? Or is it more of a take it or leave it approach? Probably varies by dealer I suppose.

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
Everything is Negotiable..
If they won't come down in price, ask dealer to toss in an implement, attachment or future service or at the very least a good discount on them.

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
I would haggle as much as possible. I understand tractors do not have a title but they do have a year of manufacturer in which will come into play for resale purposes. I would not pay the same price for a 2017 as a 2019 because they want to move the older tractor. They better sharpen their pencil real sharp whether by 20-25% off MSRP or by adding front and rear remotes and some implements. I would fight for all you want now as when the check is signed it is too late. If it has been sitting for 2 years you already have the upper hand so use it wisely.

Tucker Someday

Mar 26, 2019
Jackson, NH
Thank you all. I did haggle on the 2017 and they came down to what I thought was reasonable. Btw, I had read on here that some folks buy from out of state at Messicks or others. Out of curiosity I called Messicks super nice folks and they were quite a bit cheaper. But after shipping, it was only going to be a few hundred in savings. So I stuck with the local dealer. Local also extended the warranty for free which was nice. Thanks again for the advice all. Can’t wait to start adding to the “what did you do today” thread!

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Thank you all. I did haggle on the 2017 and they came down to what I thought was reasonable. Btw, I had read on here that some folks buy from out of state at Messicks or others. Out of curiosity I called Messicks super nice folks and they were quite a bit cheaper. But after shipping, it was only going to be a few hundred in savings. So I stuck with the local dealer. Local also extended the warranty for free which was nice. Thanks again for the advice all. Can’t wait to start adding to the “what did you do today” thread!

Same situation I had. Messicks was super nice, but with 3000 freight to CO it was a wash.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Prices have really jumped the last couple years so don’t go by current model prices.

Id be leary of a machine thats been sitting for 2-3 years outside collecting water, condensation and hidden corrosion. Personally Id bargain real hard on a machine like that or get a new 2019 instead.

If you are the kind of guy that leaves their expensive equipment out in the elements to rot then it doesnt really matter, get the 2017.

skohler

Aug 4, 2014
Gettysburg, PA
I could be wrong here, but I didn't think these had "years" associated with them? If you buy a "new" tractor in 2015, it is a 2015 regardless of when it was made.

Before my dealership was purchased by Messicks, I bought my tractor and at that time they had purchased a bunch of L3800's and kept them crated until they needed to put one on the lot. I think they always had 2 assembled at a time.

Tucker Someday

Mar 26, 2019
Jackson, NH
I could be wrong here, but I didn't think these had "years" associated with them? If you buy a "new" tractor in 2015, it is a 2015 regardless of when it was made.

Before my dealership was purchased by Messicks, I bought my tractor and at that time they had purchased a bunch of L3800's and kept them crated until they needed to put one on the lot. I think they always had 2 assembled at a time.

Interesting. Apparently there is a year now. The dealer told me it was a 2017. I guess that could just mean the year they put it together. But it also seems that when you look at used machines for sale, they often give the year. Either way, I can’t wait to get it now!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Interesting. Apparently there is a year now. The dealer told me it was a 2017. I guess that could just mean the year they put it together. But it also seems that when you look at used machines for sale, they often give the year. Either way, I can’t wait to get it now!

They don't have years, as the year of it is year sold, this is a long overly debated topic.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire

It is probably the actual year it was built. Tractors do have years contrary to what popular opinion on this subject, they have the year of manufacturer, and year of sale which is normally considered the year of the tractor. Year of manufacture can be important when you need to get parts if there has been running changes along the way.

Cglaza

Equipment
L2500DT, BX2380, G6200H
Aug 30, 2015
Freeland, mi
It is probably the actual year it was built. Tractors do have years contrary to what popular opinion on this subject, they have the year of manufacturer, and year of sale which is normally considered the year of the tractor. Year of manufacture can be important when you need to get parts if there has been running changes along the way.
You wouldn't use the year it was manufactured, you would use the serial number for parts that were changed mid cycle.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk