4WD and HST necessary for mowing?

WalkingTruck

Sep 19, 2018
Auburn, Georgia
New member, first post. We have a small farm (8 acres) with a few horses, and I'm planning to purchase a new L3901 to use for bush hogging my pastures. The terrain is sandy with a gentle slope, so I'm not convinced that 4WD is necessary. I don't plan on getting the FEL, and I'm also thinking of sticking with geared versus the HST. I'd love to hear what you think of my decision and get some alternative suggestions.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to the OTT forum WT. You came to the right place to get answers.

Most people will tell you that 4WD and HST are more important with FEL work.

Shadetree03

Equipment
L2501, King Kutter, Landscape Rake, Titan 3pt forks
Sep 20, 2017
Pueblo, CO
Flat open pastures....should not be a problem with the geared Kuby. If many bushes, trees or obstacles to work around, it sure is nice to back around with the HST and live PTO.

I'm not sure the Geared 3901 has live PTO or not? I do like the "cruise" lever on my HST for some of the straight motoring that I would prefer on the geared model. Good things about both....

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Welcome. You have a few acres and a few horses. That means a lot of processed hay. You better bite the bullet and spend the money for a loader!

You're buying a nice tractor, and your current analysis is you don't need 4x4. For the little extra it cost now, you'll soon discover what a tractor can do on your acreage and glad you have one. When ever you part with the machine it will worth more then, even if it's 25 years from now! Buy 4X4.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
New member, first post. We have a small farm (8 acres) with a few horses, and I'm planning to purchase a new L3901 to use for bush hogging my pastures. The terrain is sandy with a gentle slope, so I'm not convinced that 4WD is necessary. I don't plan on getting the FEL, and I'm also thinking of sticking with geared versus the HST. I'd love to hear what you think of my decision and get some alternative suggestions.
Nothing wrong with your plan if you do not need a FEL. Indeed, aside from costing less, a 2WD gear drive tractor will use less fuel than a HST, 2WD or otherwise.

The downside is that your 2WD tractor will be very difficult to sell when you want to do so sometime in the future.

SDT

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Another thing I would add to what the others are saying is if staying with a 2wd then a loader would be nice if it got stuck,you can at least use the loader to push its self out,most of the time,I have a gear tractor though and it is a pain sometimes to mow if you have to change direction a lot

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
I have a farm and horses as well. Although I have the luxury of multiple tractors, mowing my horse paddocks and field headlands is done w/ an older 2wd utility tractor, 8 speed gear drive, however it does have a loader and QA tool attachment.

Having horses, you must deal w/ manure as well as hay storage. I suppose you could relay on the age old wheel borrow and hire someone for the occassionql loader work. Bull work, a hardy back + determination could handle the hay, using small squares, but those days have not existed on this farm going back at least 40 years.

Bottom line, gear tractors do work fine for large area mowing, but a FEL is so versatile for a whole host of tasks.

I also prefer industrial tires as AG tires will rut your mowed areas in wet spring weather, especially the fronts are so narrow.

I believe 2wd tractors enjoy better resale value in the South. We contend with more mud and snow here in the North, so 4wd is preferred. Again fortunate to have both types here.

WalkingTruck

Sep 19, 2018
Auburn, Georgia
Thanks for the replies and for providing good for thought. My heart tells me not go cheap, but my brain is preoccupied with saving dollars where possible. I'm certain an HST tranny would be a welcome upgrade, and I also realize that I'd find myriad usages for a FEL. As it always must, it will all come down to my budget. My first and foremost concern is horsepower; creature comforts will be my last consideration. Again, thanks to all.

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
I have the geared 4WD with front loader. I prefer the geared tranny. That said, the HST is sweet when you are bush-hogging areas that are not wide open constant speed.

A loader on a 2wd tractor is a drag if you ever have any soft ground. The weight in the bucket makes the front wheels sink and pry's the rear up at the same time. Look for a low hour used one. That's what I did.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
With 8 ac's look at a 3301 or 2501 with 4/4 FEL & HST . This will save you some $ now over the 3901 & still have plenty of tractor, all same frame size. I have 5.5 AC & help out Wife's Niece next door with 3ac. I have a L3301 HST-4/4-FEL.
I have had 2 tractors without a loader before my L3301 & I have found so many jobs for it especially with my pallet forks I just don't see the point of not having. The loader works best with 4/4 IMHO. As said, if you ever sale it these items add value.

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
We've all been where you are........first tractor.......decisions, decisions!!

My advice would be to buy more than you think you need (HST, 4WD, HP, FEL)
and you'll never need more than you bought.

vic gerbasi

Equipment
M110 L3300
Feb 19, 2016
dugald mb canada
you will not regret a 4 wheel drive tractor purchase switch it out to 2wd when you want too HST is the way to go for horse chores a loader is Mandatory for horse work

I have an L3300 gst bucket loader and more implements only thing I maybe would go for is a bit more hp
Good luck

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
you will not regret a 4 wheel drive tractor purchase switch it out to 2wd when you want too HST is the way to go for horse chores a loader is Mandatory for horse work

I have an L3300 gst bucket loader and more implements only thing I maybe would go for is a bit more hp
Good luck
I agree! I certainly understand the financial issues, but do the best you can to make it work and you will have that, "I'm glad I did this" moment sooner than you think.

Owner of five horses, a mule, two goats, three alpacas, and eight stalls.
Two front end loaders, one geared, one HST, and uses both.

Good Luck.

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
I've grown up with 2wd tractors, some with loaders, some without, all with geared transmissions.

Then I grew up and bought my own tractors. Yup, all 2wd, some with loaders, some without, all with geared transmissions. Mostly because that's what I could afford.

Now that I'm not only older but also wiser, I have a fleet of Kubota's. All are 4wd, all are HST, and one has a loader.

There's no way I'd go back to 2wd with a geared transmission for a true utility tractor. If you're expecting your tractor to do everything around the farm, you need to buy that capability. That means getting the 4wd and FEL.

As an example of WHY one NEEDS these capabilities, I recently was called by a neighbor who was taking delivery of a piece of equipment. Sure enough, the FEL was required to get the equipment off the flatbed truck. Then the equipment had to be moved to his new shop/garage, in the rain. Traction became an issue. It took all of two seconds to flip the lever into 4wd and fix the traction problem.

I love the HST for mowing and blowing snow so I can rapidly and easily adjust my speed to conditions. Sure, it's not as power-efficient as a geared transmission. I'll accept that loss of efficiency for the huge gain in utility that an HST provides.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I'm around 18 months in to Kubota ownership. I was lucky in that my brother in law has around 12 acres to my 25 and he mows it all. I'm mowing around 8. I've been able to do a lot of seat time in his green tractor, geared and around 20HP. He purchased 4wd and a FEL. Most of the time when he mows the FEL is off and when wet, in 4WD. On my B3200 it is nice to be able to regulate speed in a range without stopping and shifting.. His biggest complaint on his green tractor is that he did not go with more HP and has issues when moving dirt or snow with the FEL or pushing with the blade.

If there is any way for you to get some seat time in a few different configurations, I would highly suggest it

I leave my FEL on and only use 4WD when I am doing slopes or it is wet and I start slipping. Nothing better than flipping that lever and walking out of a slick situation. I had situation right after I bought it were I hung it up so the rears were not getting traction and the fronts had one in the air. Big ruts from construction. Anyway, I was able to use the FEL to push down on the ground, regain contact with both rears and walk it out of there. If I am back in the woods cutting firewood, I use it due to the amount of ruts and swampy areas back there as well.

I got lucky and found my B3200 that was traded in with 90hrs on the clock and a prior owner who believed in full fluid /filter changes 2x year by the dealer. He never used the FEL and the tires still had all their nubbies on them. I ended up buying the B3200 HST, 4WD, FEL, brush hog and box blade for less than the L Series I was looking at. What I did sacrifice was the warranty on a couple year old tractor. Since I plan on doing all my own maintenance, and the maintenance history, I was OK with that.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
You have to buy what you can afford - there's no point in people recommending you buy something you don't have the money for.

Having said that, given a fixed budget, you're basically trading off the things that influence cost:
  • tractor size
  • attachments (particularly FEL)
  • HP
  • transmission - 4WD, HST
  • tractor age (new v's second hand) (although if you're planning on relying on 0% financing this is a bit different)

As you've noted, you're really looking at a larger HP machine that's bare bones in other ways - geared transmission, 2WD, no FEL, OR a lower HP 4WD FEL machine.

You say you're mostly looking at bush hogging, but as most are saying, if you had a tractor that did more you'd use it for more. With 8 acres you're going to bush hog maybe once a month in the warmer months...so maybe 8 times a year? Maybe a little more.

So....the real question here is size of the bush hog you can run. Can an L3901 drive a materially bigger bush hog than an L3301 or L2501? It's the same weight, so it won't lift a bigger implement, but the HP is important.

And then your tradeoff is maybe 20-30% longer bush hogging 8 times a year, v's the other jobs you might do. Other jobs might be:
  • moving horse poo. I assume you do that 2-3 times a week, and you have to do it with a wheel barrow. Ugh
  • moving hay. You probably do that a couple times a week minimum, and you're doing it by hand at the moment
  • any random "move stuff" jobs. Once a week?
  • anything that requires a wheelbarrow. Now you have a power wheelbarrow. Couple times a week?

So to really make it clear - your tradeoff is either:
Less time on your tractor (bigger bush hog), and then spend that time shovelling horse poo by hand, OR
More time on your tractor (smaller bush hog), but you no longer have to shovel horse poo by hand. Well, less hand shovelling.

I know what I'd do, but everyone has different things they like. :)

Of course, going to second hand might also be a great idea. An older tractor with 4wd and FEL, and probably with no emissions equipment, could be the right choice that lets you do both.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Absolutely nothing wrong with a geared tractor over HST. My preference is to avoid GST. HST is real nice as long as you have cruise control for cutting the grass.

Personally I wouldn't buy a tractor WITHOUT 4WD. It's easy enough to leave in 2WD it and get the benefits of better fuel economy. If you don't have it you may wish you did...especially with loader work, hills, soft and slippery spots.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
I'd look into a FEL just for brush protection, but I treat my stuff like luxury cars too.

There's a YouTube video of a guy doing brush work with a L2501 in Louisiana. That bucket is pushing down some serious stuff that would otherwise be dragging along the paint.

Gear drive would be ideal (and my preference) for your uses. I could never by a 2WD compact tractor.

Last edited:

Jimc3165

Equipment
1982 B7100 HST-D
Jul 22, 2015
CLEVELAND, GA
Welcome. You have a few acres and a few horses. That means a lot of processed hay. You better bite the bullet and spend the money for a loader!

You're buying a nice tractor, and your current analysis is you don't need 4x4. For the little extra it cost now, you'll soon discover what a tractor can do on your acreage and glad you have one. When ever you part with the machine it will worth more then, even if it's 25 years from now! Buy 4X4.
I agree 100% I purchased a M4900 gear drive in 2004 and withing 6 months I had regrets about not going with 4wd HST and loader. Made the same mistake with a truck bought a 2500 and should have got a 3500. Buy the HST with the 4WD and loader you will enjoy it much more and will find lots of ways to make your life easier.