How many of you . . .

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
Have a secret key switch on your tractors?

Theft isn’t huge where I live but it happens. I have chains in the tires but am wondering if installing a secret key kill switch isn’t a bad idea, or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks for all thoughts and comments!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeepinMaxx

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660, LA243 FEL, RCK54P-23BX MMM, BX2751 QH Subframe, BX2750D 50" Blower
Mar 27, 2018
Columbia, CT
I'm fairly new to tractors - but my neighbor and fellow Kubota guy told me to stop leaving the key in the ignition when leaving it in the yard and prop it up on the bucket so it isn't easy to move!

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
If you drive all the back our lane you will be greeted by a few big dogs who just can't wait for you to get out of your vehicle LOL I doubt you will be thinking about where any of the equipment key are. :D

thepumpguysc

Aug 8, 2018
Sunny South Carolina
Interesting thread..
YES.. taking the KEYS OUT makes a huge difference..lol
Chains can be cut, especially NOW w/ all the battery powered cutters.. "usetabe" ya had to be a brute to snap a chain w/ bolt cutters.. NOW any tweeker w/a Dewalt can steel yer stuff..
One of the best deterents is a "battery disconnect".. or a 12v disconnect to the injection pump solenoid..
The solenoid switch might not STOP'M but it'll slow'm down.. ANY "good thief" knows ya gotta power the solenoid to make it run.. so they probably have jumper wires w/ um.
I had a buddy who ran his shut off switch thru his cig. lighter.. push it in to "go" & out to disconnect..
You could also do THAT for an electric fuel pump.. It would "start" for the thief, but they wouldn't get far w/o fuel feeding the inj. pump.. it would run off the filters & when they were dry, it would shut off..

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Way back I built a Toyota pickup from the ground up. It was a beast, 6 inches of lift, 35" tires and 529 gears. One morning I went out and the side window was smashed out of it along with the ignition being ripped out.:eek::mad: At first I couldn't understand why they didn't take it however when I tried to start it with a screwdriver, nothing. After checking it out just through chithouse luck some how the starter wire had fallen off so every time I parked it I just reached under and pulled the starter wire off. Never did fix the ignition just kept a flathead in it. Now my tractor is a different story, living way back here the key is aways in it unless we go away. After talking about it I may have to rethink that and remove the key and maybe put a kill switch on it.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
It is a shame to have to do something like this to your equipment. Sad part is if they want it they will get it one way or another. Bass tards will work harder stealing something than if they had a job

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you're going to impede a thief you have to do more than a steel chain or a gate.

I had some 1/2" wire rope (steel cable) to hang in a couple of trees for a watergap. I had to walk about 400' to get back to the creek and I needed to cut the cable when I got there. I had a 4 1/2" battery power angle grinder and about 4 batteries because I wasn't too sure how it would cut.

When I determined the length, I laid the cable on a log and put the cut off wheel to it. Took about 15 seconds!

Cutting metal with the battery powered tools has to be a thief's delite!

Smokeless

Equipment
3901/Loader/Rear Blade/Box Blade/LP Mower/Pallet forks IH M,,Cub & sickle mower
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
I have a Farmall M fully restored and when we leave I remove the battery and the ignition rotor. No good chaining mine, too many angle grinders in the garage, but I to have been contemplating some kind of deactivation switch or mechanism that will impede a thief until the neighbors are alerted. Failing all that I am insured.

Yes, some elect to work harder stealing than going to work, and I notice "now hiring" signs at many businesses.

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
After chatting with my dealer today he mentioned that using chains is still the best deterrent. And floating the FEL. If someone wants it they will take it - but I’m going to try and make em work a LITTLE bit anyway. Sadly most of the thieves around here are feeding a drug habit so they won’t be want to work hard - so the professionals will do what they need to and the amateurs will bother less with SOME layers of protection.

I’m fully insured too just appreciate everyone’s thoughts.

My dealer was telling me a story about a guy who had a pretty savvy system and was selling it to various dealers. Anyway, Doug (owner of the dealership) told the guy to install one on one of his tractors and if he couldn’t get a workaround within two minutes he’d buy that and more to sell.

If he DID get it within two minutes he would keep it. So, the guy installs this over a two hour period and / yep - Doug starts the tractor in less than two minutes.

So I guess to sum up - ain’t gonna stop a pro but might be able to stymie the amateurs to go away.

I’m looking forward to continuing to hear others’ opinions on this thread too!!

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
Get a cellular game camera, connect a solar panel to it, and stick it 15' up a big tree overlooking the tractor. Get additional cameras to protect the perimeter. Put up signs. Make your presence known. Don't ever tolerate trespassers or their lies.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
I have an emergency start switch under the hood...not a kill switch...and I am confident my trained attack goats and three dogs will slow down the crack heads...

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I read about the cops solving a bunch of thefts after recovering a stolen outboard motor that had been equipped with a hidden GPS tracking device. If these things are small enough, discrete enough and durable enough to hide in an outboard then it should be easy to stash one in a tractor.

skohler

Aug 4, 2014
Gettysburg, PA
My dealer was telling me a story about a guy who had a pretty savvy system and was selling it to various dealers. Anyway, Doug (owner of the dealership) told the guy to install one on one of his tractors and if he couldn’t get a workaround within two minutes he’d buy that and more to sell.

If he DID get it within two minutes he would keep it. So, the guy installs this over a two hour period and / yep - Doug starts the tractor in less than two minutes.
I think one difference in this scenario is that the dealer knew there was a hidden device somewhere. If someone broke into my garage and the tractor didn't start, either the battery is dead, the fuel system has an issue or some other mechanical problem. OR- there is a theft deterrent system in play. I would like to think if there was a problem from the start, many thieves may not have the desire, know how or, especially, time to problem solve. With an unlimited amount of time, I doubt anything is really secure.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I installed cameras in my stores. I now have pictures of people stealing equipment. Cameras and 12 bucks will get you in a movie. The people see your camera signs and cover their faces. I decided that if I can't keep them from stealing, I would like to know where they took my equipment. The GPS unit I use is about the size of a pack of gum. The units are $150.00 each and an activation fee of $29.00 per year the first 3 years were free. . I put the units under the plastic dash so they can read GPS. They also track via cell signal. As I said earlier, they have a device that disables the start system. Everything I own that is considered a theft item has one hidden amongst it somewhere. You can pinpoint it online. A large theft ring here was broken up due to a man installing GPS on a dump trailer. When the sheriffs dept found the trailer, they also found a 50 acre field full of stolen machines.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
I might just get a couple of those units to save myself some grief and maybe help the local sheriff find others!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Hey D2, maybe you could take one of those Craig's list finds that will run just enough to load on a trailer and dangle it out there with a hidden gps and create your own sting operation :eek:

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
I installed cameras in my stores. I now have pictures of people stealing equipment. Cameras and 12 bucks will get you in a movie. The people see your camera signs and cover their faces. I decided that if I can't keep them from stealing, I would like to know where they took my equipment. The GPS unit I use is about the size of a pack of gum. The units are $150.00 each and an activation fee of $29.00 per year the first 3 years were free. . I put the units under the plastic dash so they can read GPS. They also track via cell signal. As I said earlier, they have a device that disables the start system. Everything I own that is considered a theft item has one hidden amongst it somewhere. You can pinpoint it online. A large theft ring here was broken up due to a man installing GPS on a dump trailer. When the sheriffs dept found the trailer, they also found a 50 acre field full of stolen machines.

Would you mind posting a link on those GPSs? Or PM me if that’s outta bounds for the forum?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Hey D2, maybe you could take one of those Craig's list finds that will run just enough to load on a trailer and dangle it out there with a hidden gps and create your own sting operation :eek:
Now that's an excellent idea. Matter of fact, I have a pretty little Kubota marked TG1860 on the side, fancy looking little thing that is giving me more trouble than it's worth. And it's gas. Has a plastic hood to so the GPS shout transmit real good! Guess I'll have to get it running long enough for them to load.