Not sure what to buy

CobraComander

May 25, 2018
Camas, WA
New here. I***8217;m getting ready to build on 5 acres piece of relatively flat land. Not sure if I should be looking at a BX or B series? Bigger? Looking to mow with a flail mower, some firewood moving, fence work and all around general work. Thanks for the help.

B0FF0577-76ED-41E5-958E-3C2181CF658B.jpg

Tchess450

Equipment
BX23S with 60inch deck. implements, blade, forks, spreader, and more.
Jun 18, 2018
Pa
If it is open, and flat l would go with the B if not bigger. I have BX, and wanted bigger, but my space is real tight. I often find my self needing more loader, but make due.

Dchemphill1

Equipment
L3901
Jun 9, 2016
Fort Calhoun, NE, USA
You will hear many on this forum say go bigger, if you can afford it?? I looked at the B series and ended up with L3901. Wanted a bit more power. I have been happy with it. Flat is great....I have slopes so getting as much weight on the tractor as possible is a definite...a lot will depend on what you need to do and more importantly what you think you might want to do down the road???

Best of luck!

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
Looks like some beautiful property--congratulations!

Most folks will tell you to buy bigger than you think you need right now, as there are fewer regrets over having too much capacity than not not enough. I think that's sound advice in most cases, especially when you may not yet be able to envision all the tasks you'll want to pursue.

That said, for me the BX is the ultimate mower and firewood hauler--my two main uses. It's small enough to maneuver in tight spaces and not take up too much space in a garage; light enough not to damage the lawn; and has great stability and traction for use on slopes and hauling wood carts. The FEL has all the capacity I've ever needed for moving gravel, snow, mulch and wood. Ground clearance has never been an issue.

For me, my BX's limitation is in the amount of rear PTO horsepower and lift. My 1870 can and does run a smaller chipper/shredder adequately, but a larger capacity would be nice there. And I sometimes would like the ability to run a 5' brush hog or other rear mower, and that's more than my machine can do. So I occasionally find myself looking at the specs on the B2650, but overall, I still think I made the right choice for my situation, especially when my finances are considered.

I don't know squat about flail mowers, but in addition to making sure you've got adequate PTO horse power for the mower width you want, make sure you've got adequate lift on the three point hitch. Will you be using it to mow lawn, or will that chore be covered by a dedicated mowing machine?

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
If you are thinking about a cab go with the B2650HSDC, really nice to plow snow in a controlled environment. The B2650 does not have the DPF and so far I have found it has plenty of power for my chores, just got through digging post holes and it handled my digger with ease as it handles my brush hog. By the looks of your place turf tires (I went with R4s but my situation is different) and an MMM would be the thing to have and the B2650 has a mid PTO. If you don't want to get a cab the B2650 would still be a good all around choice, not too big not too small. Whatever you get go with the SSQA, really easy to change implements. Go to the dealer and play with some, I am sure one will want to go home with you.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
New here. I***8217;m getting ready to build on 5 acres piece of relatively flat land. Not sure if I should be looking at a BX or B series? Bigger? Looking to mow with a flail mower, some firewood moving, fence work and all around general work. Thanks for the help.

View attachment 36695
Why a flail mower?

Flail mowers suck HP. I would not put one behind a BX.

I like the full featured B series.

Recommendations would depend upon size of mower contemplated and what and how fast you plan to mow.

SDT

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
"Why a flail mower?
Flail mowers suck HP. I would not put one behind a BX.
I like the full featured B series.
Recommendations would depend upon size of mower contemplated and what and how fast you plan to mow."

I haven't read any studies where flail mowers require any more HP than a rotary mower. I haven't experienced it in my use. Just curious?

I imagine it all depends on what is being cut and if the flail has Y knives or the scoop/flatface knives. I've got the Y's on mine and I cut weeds 4' high and then can lower it to 3-4" and mow like a yard. It grinds the material up so there is no windrow of cuttings.

I think discussions/opinions on type of mowers, and usage is as varied as discussions on types of oil.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would say any would work for you.
BX small compact easy to maneuver, easy to get on and off of, able to do alot of tasks, what the BX lacks is lift capacity and extra HP.
B little larger and little better lift, but still light in HP available.
L much larger capacity and much greater lift and HP.

Your in an area a cab with AC would be really nice in the summer and a cab in the winter is always nice!
But they are pricey.
One plus to any Kubota you buy, no matter what the price point is, it will hold it's valve for years.

Go to a local dealer and take a spin around on some models, and see what feels good to you, and fits your budget. ;)

I am a Flail mower fan, they have so many advantages over a rotary brush mower and you can get them set up to do a finish cut too, so it's like getting a field mower and a finish mower in one unit. :D

Last edited:

CobraComander

May 25, 2018
Camas, WA
Thanks for all the replies. I was thinking flail only because of the diverse cutting ability. Not going to do a cab to save money. I’m pretty sure the BX is out for me. Leaning more toward a B, just not sure which one. I’m aware of the emissions issue on the B3350. L is interesting too. Too many decisions!

skohler

Aug 4, 2014
Gettysburg, PA
My .02, when I was a new owner of some acreage I was looking at a B series. Thought a "do all" tractor would be a smart way to go, but a good friend with more experience gave me some advice that proved very helpful.

He asked me if I wanted to mow all weekend (mow 2-5 acres depending on my mood). I was just excited to get out of a neighborhood where mowing was minimal. He recommended I get a tractor to do what I thought I would want a tractor to do and a zero turn for mowing. Yes, two machines to maintain, but it allowed me to get a tractor big enough for bigger jobs and a mower I can mow quickly, beautifully, and have fun doing it.

Not sure how much you plan on routinely mowing, but 5 acres is a nice amount and from the pics I'm thinking you will be mowing most on a routine basis to keep it looking nice.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
That looks like Washougal to me! I'm running an L4740 on similar property downriver from you and I would say B2601 if you're buying new. There's a gentleman over in Bend if you want used and he will deliver.

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
Dont forget to take into account transmission type. If you have any interest in a gear drive trans for the lower cost, quieter operation, less parasitic PTO HP loss and simplicity, then your only option (new machines anyway) is an L.

CobraComander

May 25, 2018
Camas, WA
Dont forget to take into account transmission type. If you have any interest in a gear drive trans for the lower cost, quieter operation, less parasitic PTO HP loss and simplicity, then your only option (new machines anyway) is an L.
I am looking at an L. I wanted a mid mounted pto, but may work around it if I get the flail mower.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
You get snow and wind up there, I'd look at an L. I forget what WA does for farm tax deferral but in OR you can hay that and qualify. A neighbor cuts and bales mine, you have neighbors up there with that equipment. He would take it but I have horses so it stays here. After years of toting small bales around I gotta admit I like round bales and my pallet forks.

Hans Hans

Equipment
L2501
Mar 27, 2017
Illinois
My .02, when I was a new owner of some acreage I was looking at a B series. Thought a "do all" tractor would be a smart way to go, but a good friend with more experience gave me some advice that proved very helpful.

He asked me if I wanted to mow all weekend (mow 2-5 acres depending on my mood). I was just excited to get out of a neighborhood where mowing was minimal. He recommended I get a tractor to do what I thought I would want a tractor to do and a zero turn for mowing. Yes, two machines to maintain, but it allowed me to get a tractor big enough for bigger jobs and a mower I can mow quickly, beautifully, and have fun doing it.

Not sure how much you plan on routinely mowing, but 5 acres is a nice amount and from the pics I'm thinking you will be mowing most on a routine basis to keep it looking nice.
Very good advice! It took me a few years to figure this out on my own!

steve.curlydogacres

Jun 27, 2018
corvallis
Bought a BX 2330 in 2006 for 26 acres of relatively flat to sloping land. The issue is rough terrain. The front wheels on a BX frame are too small for anything but groomed land. I bought a B2910 in 2010 and sold the 2330 for just that reason. It has been great but I'd still fall in the bigger is better group. I wanted to mention wheel size because no one else seems to talk about that. It really makes a difference.

CobraComander

May 25, 2018
Camas, WA
Bought a BX 2330 in 2006 for 26 acres of relatively flat to sloping land. The issue is rough terrain. The front wheels on a BX frame are too small for anything but groomed land. I bought a B2910 in 2010 and sold the 2330 for just that reason. It has been great but I'd still fall in the bigger is better group. I wanted to mention wheel size because no one else seems to talk about that. It really makes a difference.
Thanks, I’ve narrowed it down to a B or L