So, I finally bought my first Kubota

RLT3

Feb 12, 2018
Brookville, Ohio
It's a 2014 BX2370 bought off the used lot of a John Deere dealer in Kentucky. Since it's seems to be an expectation that you post pictures, I've attached a pic of mine sitting on the trailer on the way home...in the rain.

Anyways, since I spent nearly everything I had free to buy it, I need to find a cheap way to add ballast. I'll be using the FEL to move concrete this coming weekend, probably 400 to 500lbs at a time. I was thinking of using free weights on a bar extended across the two bottom points of the 3pt hitch but wasn't sure if the weight should be supported by the 3pt hitch of if it needs to be on the frame somehow. Can anyone give me an opinion? Also, given the amount of concrete I'll be moving at a time, how much weight should I add to the back end?

One more thing, what kind of diesel should I use? On road? Or off road?

Thanks for any/all opinions and I'm happy to finally be a real part of the group!

Rich

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If I may, you can fill the rear tires easy pezey that will give you about 45 pounds per wheel and a set of wheel weights another 70 pounds per wheel and my fat old arse give about 500 pounds. I run them and I mow and do what ever with out having any problems. If you look around there are a ton of weights people have made. on my other tractor I used the bottom of a plastic 55 gal drum pushed a pipe through it and a chain for the top link to hook to and filled it with creat. It worked wasnt pretty but it worked. Remember the front tires are the fulcrum point of the tractor when using the FEL.

And I know someguys run bio and home heating fuel, but for your piece of mind run pump diesel either dyed red off road or over road, you will have less problems and remember your little beast does not like bio!

I would go through the beast and change both fuel filters, oil filter and hydro filter, motor oil, and maybe hydro oil as well,,unless you know from the Previous owner this has been done and since you bought off a green dealer lord only knows when or if anything like that was done.
Those are my tips, enjoy the little beasty and BE CAREFUL, shyt can go south in a heart beat, slow and easy untill you get it all figured out. Run the FEL down as low to the ground as you can when moving, a loaded FEL high in the air can put you on yoru side right now,,low and slow

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
The Operator's Manual doesn't really give a maximum rear ballast, but does list 420# as an implement weight used as a ballast. So I went with 420# of ballast plus loaded rear tires and I am comfortable handling all the weight the fel will pick up. I also have rear 3" spacers to increase stability. Just make sure you are keeping the fel close to the ground when moving anything heavy.
The 420# for my ballast is actually 24" to the rear of the 3 point, lift points, on a carryall. If you are suspending the weight at the lift points you will want to go heavier maybe 550 to 600#.

RLT3

Feb 12, 2018
Brookville, Ohio
Thanks for all the info guys. Being new, I certainly don't want to do anything to damage the machine due to inexperience. The big thing was knowing whether the ballast weight (I was guessing about 300lbs) can/should be supported by the 3pt hitch, and the answer seems to be yes, so that's what I'll plan on doing. PLEASE, somebody protect me from myself is that's not the way to go.

One other thing, I tried to call the original dealership where the tractor was purchased and they either could not or would not (I'm thinking the latter, but that's me), provide any maintenance records. Given that I don't know what maintenance has been done to date, what should I check/change/examine? Again, it's a 2014 BX2370 with just under 400 hours on it.

OK, I lied one other "addendum" to my questions: Are there two different types of 4WD in this model? I was told it was MFWD which means I have to switch it into 4wd when I need to use it. Is there any other variation for this machine? This configuration will work just fine for me. Just wondering what else was available on other BX2370's. Also, can I switch in/out of 4WD while on the move, or is it better to be stopped when swtiching in/out of 4WD?

Again, thanks to all who share their knowledge experience. It's GREATLY appreciated!!!

Rich

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
As fr as I know the BX2370 is the same as my BX 2360 and since you dont have the book I ll tell you what I know, ( it aint as much as I wish I knew).
Yes you have to manually put the beast in to 4wd and take it out. There is no shift on the fly on there tractors, So yes you must stop to engage and disengage the 4wd.
Now with that being said some times its hard to get it in, SOOOO sometimes a VERY LIGHT touch on the tram will let it slip in. Dont try and fore it!

Also by your left heel you will see a lever that locks all 4 wheels together, never NEVER try to press it down when the wheels are turning,,, BAD JUJU :eek: stop and keep pressure on it and it will go in. Some times these items have not been used in a long time or in some cases never used so you might need to play with them a little bit before you start to work it.
The BX is a tuff little machine and will take a lot of abuse, but take time to learn her and use her safely and your grand kids will be using it :D
And like teg and I said before change everything out as soon as you can
Welcome to the orange

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
As others stated, no shift on the fly. Stop and may have to move yourself forward/backward a little to switch between 2 or 4x4. Only 1 model of the Bx2370. If it was me, I would change all fluids and filters. Your at the 400 hour scheduled maintenance anyways. Do it youself and save a few bucks.

I have a nice 4 page maintenance guide Im trying to find.will post later

Weight on 3pt is fine. Find your specs(weight limits) in the manuals below.

Here’s is some free WSM(work shop manuals), parts, implement manuals to download. Just find your model.

http://www.kubotabooks.com

billrigsby

Equipment
L1500DT Too many implements, or is there such a thing?
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
Yes you have to manually put the beast in to 4wd and take it out. There is no shift on the fly on there tractors, So yes you must stop to engage and disengage the 4wd.
Really !! :confused:

My old L1500DT goes into 2WD to 4WD and back on the fly,
High to Low is another story. :eek:

Maybe I should not be doing that, but there is no hesitation or grinding.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Really !! :confused:

My old L1500DT goes into 2WD to 4WD and back on the fly,
High to Low is another story. :eek:

Maybe I should not be doing that, but there is no hesitation or grinding.

Mine's the same with both the 4wd and diff lock. You just need to engage them BEFORE the tires start slipping. Otherwise you can break stuff. It's probably easier to just teach people to stop than not to engage these things before the wheels are slipping.