Newbie not wanting to make a mistake...

RLT3

Feb 12, 2018
Brookville, Ohio
I'm looking to purchase a used tractor and have been doing some research online. From best I can tell, an older BX2200 with a LA211 FEL will fit my needs, but looking for any advice to keep me from making a mistake. I'm looking to mow about 3 acres of land, lift a few things around the house (about 500lbs or so..maybe 600lbs) and then use it to plow a 100 yard paved driveway during the winter. It seems like this selection will meet those needs, but the snow plow is where I'm not understanding. From best I can tell, the older (2002ish) BX2200 have the control valve on the FEL (right?) which mean that I can't just quick connect the bucket and put a snow plow on the front. Am I getting that wrong? What snow plows will even fit this machine? the BX2763? Other Kubota plows? Other non-Kubota plows? Any advice that help me from making a mistake would be GREATLY appreciated!

deathtoblackberries

Equipment
B2920
Mar 25, 2013
Battle Ground, WA
I purchased a BX2380 last week, previously owned a B2920 TBL with MMM. I have 1 acre and the B2920 was too much tractor for mowing 1 acre of lawn, turning radius was not that great, R4 tires could tear up the lawn a bit on tight turns. But if I had to mow another 2 acres on top of that, open field mowing long straight runs I'd have kept the B2920. No grass was too tall the RPM's didn't even dip.

I mowed for the first time this weekend with the BX2380, I have non filled turf tires on it, its pretty bouncy so much that I ordered a heavy lawn roller to try to flatten out my lawn. Mowed fine, but its no B2920.

Comparing the two FEL's the B2920 is way more FEL. The BX2380 has a max of about 500 lbs for a normal bucket, I lifted a 1,000 lbs metal lathe with my B2920 FEL. Straight up for about 36 inches, the last few inches I had to use the bucket curl so I was right at the limit with that FEL. Also the BX2380 FEL is thinner gauge steel. I bull dozed stumps with the B2920, destroyed giant blackberry thickets 8 foot tall, moved truck loads of soil it was a beast. The BX2380 is much lighter duty and that's okay because I finished all the heavy landscaping with the B2920 its just going to haul around bark chips and light soil, the average light duty job.

The B2920 also has more ground clearance and I have heard the BX line suffers from some exposed plastic cooling fans underneath that can explode if you jam a branch or whatever up under there. To the point that some people put aftermarket steel shields up under there. I ran my B2920 through all manner of underbrush clearing my 1 acre, did get branches and stuff crammed underneath but never an issue.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
In southern Ohio with only a 100 yd driveway you might consider a rear blade for snow plowing. It will cost less and be easier to control. A front blade will push the front of your tractor opposite the blade angle. You can leave the fel on with a rear blade and use the fel to help with snow removal and it will counterbalance the rear blade.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Regarding you loader capacity. The numbers on the FEL are the weight capacity in metric measurements. If you double that number plus half (2.5) you will come pretty close to the actual capacity of the loader. That doesn't mean your tractor will lift it without a counterweight or filled tires but it will let you know the approx. capacity. 465# is what the weight that machine and FEL can lift....it will be very close. Remember those are the max weights under perfect circumstances.
Just keep that in mind when you load or try to travel.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Not trying to be picky, for those following, 2.2 times the model number will get you closer to the available lifting capacity in lbs.