Jumpstarting

jay2

Jun 30, 2015
kington, ohio
The GMC Envoy didn't start it was too cold for the old battery. I considered jumping it with my BX. Anyone tried that yet? I ended up just charging the battery a few hours.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The GMC Envoy didn't start it was too cold for the old battery. I considered jumping it with my BX. Anyone tried that yet? I ended up just charging the battery a few hours.
Hard as hell to reach the terminals on the BX.....you would almost have to pull that battery OUT to get to the positive terminal, doable - but somewhat awkward;)

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I tried jumping my Silverado last spring. I did not use the truck for several months and the batteries both went dead. The BX would not handle the power load necessary to jump the Duramax engine. It might be able to handle a car engine but it would not turn over the Durmax strong enough to start it. Even when I left the BX running to charge the Duramax batteries for more than 30 minutes.

jay2

Jun 30, 2015
kington, ohio
I have a jumper, but it wont charge. lol. I have to remove the battery, charge it with a different charger, then put the battery back in the jumper if I want to have a portable cordless charger. Too much work. I could run a lamp 26 hours with that jumper in its prime. Has two 110 outlets on it.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS

Actually, I just jumped our Envoy XL with my BX2370 this weekend. Battery is only a little over six years old, wind chill was -22F, had not been started for 7 months and that darn thing would not start. :D

Bx, cables, 5 minutes and shes running..

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
When you jump a vehicle with a dead battery, the dead battery soaks up a lot of the power. That's why you usually have to have the vehicle supplying the power running. A BX does not have a very big alternator and could be overloaded trying to start a vehicle with a dead battery. Should not be a problem if you allow some time for the battery to recharge.

jay2

Jun 30, 2015
kington, ohio
Grouse Feathers, Just commenting on your quote, This is close to it. Like Willie Nelson said, If you lay down, you stay down..My Dad is 85, he is up and hits it hard, and I mean hard. I could post pictures of his projects. He could probably out work the kids we hire at work.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Actually, I just jumped our Envoy XL with my BX2370 this weekend. Battery is only a little over six years old, wind chill was -22F, had not been started for 7 months and that darn thing would not start. :D

Bx, cables, 5 minutes and shes running..
Just incase you are not aware, the "wind chill" has NO EFFECT on inanimate objects. (such as an engine or battery) The REAL, ACTUAL, temperature is the only thing that matters.

The weatherman likes to talk about "wind chill" because it adds more drama to their report... but in reality, "wind chill" only affects warm-bodied objects such as bare human skin.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
get yourself a powerall. I have the delux model and keep it in my vehicle or boat when on the water. They work quite well and if you shop around,.

I picked up one of the Stanley models on sale and had it about a year before I used it. It works pretty good, started my F250 460 when it was below zero. I plugged it into the 12vdc/lighter recepticle, it is hot all the time, and when the light turned green turned the key and it cranked.
Took a few tries but it gave the bump needed to start the truck.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
good deal. They are very useful to have and take up very little room.

skohler

Aug 4, 2014
Gettysburg, PA
In rifle season my truck battery decided it was done while parked at the end of a field. I had shot a buck and a doe and was looking forward to starting up my truck and warming up a bit. i had never used my tractor to jump start a vehicle, but figured a battery was a battery. After a long cold walk home to get my tractor and a long cold ride on the tractor, jumped the truck battery no problem. Gutted the deer in the bucket and just hauled them home.