Brand new bx2680 issue!

Chaentjens

Equipment
Bx2680
May 13, 2017
moodus
Hello all,
I figured I would post up about my current issue with my brand new bx.
I currently have 24 hours on her and I'm extremely anal about maintenance. Clean top to bottom after every use. About a month ago I noticed my overflow was completely empty....
So I filled it up cold to fill line. Said to myself maybe air pockets in the new system. It takes me 1.25 hrs to mow my lawn. So for the last 4 weeks I cut my lawn and every time the level dropped 1/2". So now it's almost empty again!! I checked for leaks, absolutely nothing. No oil in antifreeze and vice versa. So only option left is it's burning it. My background is 20yrs as a master ase tech. I called my dealer explained all this to them. They sent a guy to look at it. He looked at hoses ran it for 4 minutes and said all looks normal....
I call dealer a couple hours later and ask what they thought.
He said level goes up and down with operation and looks normal but before he tells me all is normal he will call Kubota and ask if there's been any more issues like this! I explained again and said no way it's normal to go through almost a gallon in 2 months!! He said he will call me back tomorrow. Felt like I was being brushed off. I called Kubota corporate and they pretty much told me to call dealer. I'm sooo upset about this! I waited 10 years to be able to finally be able to afford a brand new awesome Kubota. Now this. Really sucks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chaentjens

Equipment
Bx2680
May 13, 2017
moodus
I clean it every use.
It's not overheating at all just losing coolant.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
EDIT: Stop cleaning your machine for now!
Check your engine oil with accuracy, meaning tractor parked on same piece of level concrete, at same temperature in morning after sitting overnight after use. You may not pick up coolant in the oil, it may be sitting on the bottom of the pan and raising your oil level slightly over time. You could also loosen the engine drain plug part way and allow it to drip into a container and see what comes out.
First up I would climb under the machine with a flashlight and run your hand over every thing you can touch and see if you can find a single drop of coolant somewhere. The coolant may be expelled at high pressure (enough to expel it when hot) but when it cools and the system goes into negative pressure, it draws coolant back from the reserve bottle easier than air from the place where it is leaking (either internally or externally), so the reserve tank and radiator cap appear to be doing their job.
Top up the reserve tank when cold before next use and get a pencil and make a mark of the cold level on the reserve tank each and every time before use, and monitor it closely.

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota b1750,60" mm,48" argo trend snowblower,5' grader blade
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
That sucks. With your background I will not humour you with a petty response ,you know better,half gallon of coolent loss is crazy over many hours let alone a few hours of mowing.
I'd be seeing another dealer,and screaming bloody murder,no excuse for the issue or the brush of your getting

100 td

Equipment
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
And if my reply sounded petty, it wasn't meant to be, I read you were a master tech, but sometimes one overlooks things when looking at ones own equipment.
YMMV

Chaentjens

Equipment
Bx2680
May 13, 2017
moodus
I appreciate all the feedback! No one is perfect or faultless or remembers to do everything.
I have been under and all over...nothing :(
Oil level has not changed and I've been marking the overflow every run once cool. It is pretty damn consistent at 1/2" loss every 1.25 hrs of use.
I've seen this before a few times in vehicles. Ended up being cracks in the heads except for one defective block.
I'm thinking this is the issue but I'm not touching yet. Warranty and all. I could be wrong......

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
How are the hose clamps? I've had several pieces of equipment that would steadily lose coolant like clock work. Ended up being the hose clamps. Everything was good and tight while cool. But when hot, you would get a slow drip.

Gotten to the point, when I get a new piece of equipment for me or the rental fleet at work. I run the equipment up to operating temperature. Then tighten the hose clamps. Usually get about another 1/2 turn out of them.

Sure has cut down on service calls for low coolant :rolleyes:

Good luck, and I'm hoping the cause is foolish and simple :D

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Chaentjens

Equipment
Bx2680
May 13, 2017
moodus
How are the hose clamps? I've had several pieces of equipment that would steadily lose coolant like clock work. Ended up being the hose clamps. Everything was good and tight while cool. But when hot, you would get a slow drip.

Gotten to the point, when I get a new piece of equipment for me or the rental fleet at work. I run the equipment up to operating temperature. Then tighten the hose clamps. Usually get about another 1/2 turn out of them.

Sure has cut down on service calls for low coolant :rolleyes:

Good luck, and I'm hoping the cause is foolish and simple :D

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Thanks!

I checked and tightened them too.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
There is no ASE in tractors....the "A" in ASE means automotive. Auto's aren't tractors. If this were an automobile, what would you do to eliminate the possibilities?

Have you checked the coolant level in the radiator? Is the oil level rising? Is the oil level falling? Is the coolant level in the radiator dropping? Forget the bottle at this point..it's not an expansion tank like CARS use, it's just an overflow/reservoir like cars had 30-40 years ago if you remember those systems. But I'm sure that's already been figured out. Have you looked at the bottom of the water pump yet? Any exhaust smoke? Tailpipe wet? Hoses? Clamps tight? Pressure checked? You're a tech, should have the tools to pressure test it. Warranty? Again, you're a tech, and you know what warranty covers and doesn't...and thus you should know that working on your own equipment doesn't void warranty. My opinion? Diagnose it, then take it to dealer and ask them to fix what you've diagnosed. You're a professional, act like it.

I was once an ASE tech. Hated working commission and went into tractors for myself and found out that owning/operating my own place was only a half day job....just had to figure out which 12 hours I wanted to work...and only 7 days a week. People don't give you breaks. If you stop into the shop to do paperwork on a Sunday afternoon, it's assumed that since my truck was there, I'm open...people calling, beating on the door...and as a professional, I had a hard time turning people away. Just got tired of it and went back to the old place I worked at, salary, and pays about half of what I was making, but I get 2 days off in succession and only have to work 9 hours a day. 8 paid, usually stay at work for lunch, and of course people always asking questions, so I don't really get much of a break. I'll do it as long as my body will let me...if I get another 5 years in, it'll be a miracle.

Dealer is going to get the "deer in the headlights look" when you ask them, because (1) they're not in front of the tractor to do a proper diagnosis, (2) this is not a common issue to my knowledge.

100 td

Equipment
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Forget the bottle at this point..it's not an expansion tank like CARS use, it's just an overflow/reservoir like cars had 30-40 years ago if you remember those systems.
So early car system had an overflow bottle to stop expelled fluid going all over the place and on the road, then later on a 2 way radiator cap was fitted and it allowed the ability to draw fluid back into the radiator when it cooled, instead of drawing air into the radiator. Are you saying Kubota doesn't fit 2 way radiator caps to their newest line of tractors, and has an overflow bottle to collect coolant, dispensing it into the bottom of the reservoir and then not allowing it to go back into the radiator when it cools?
Well I haven't seen their latest offering, but if you're up to it, I'll wager a small fee of 10 or 20 bills that they do. Whoever wins, the other pays, and we buy a ticket of some sort up to the amount, copy to each other and split the winnings if there is any. Let's hope it's a big win if it happens!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
In your case I would follow the advice to stop cleaning the machine.

Then I would buy a cheap UV leak detection kit and put the Ultra Violet dye in the rad.

Using the UV flashlight in the kit + the special glasses, it should be easy to see where the coolant is going by the glowing

Do you have a cab and heater?

I am from the group that thinks you are going to find something simple like a loose clamp or water pump bolt.

Dave

100 td

Equipment
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
I'm from the group that HOPES you'll find an external leak, but am worried it may not be as you have said you have thoroughly checked, I hope it's eventually the easy outcome and not the dealer rebuild..........

wild bill

May 8, 2010
South Wales, NY
On my new BX, the hose at the bottom of the coolant reservoir was not properly fitted. There was a spring type hose clamp on the hose, but it was not placed over the nipple on the reservoir.

Chaentjens

Equipment
Bx2680
May 13, 2017
moodus
There is no ASE in tractors....the "A" in ASE means automotive. Auto's aren't tractors. If this were an automobile, what would you do to eliminate the possibilities?

Have you checked the coolant level in the radiator? Is the oil level rising? Is the oil level falling? Is the coolant level in the radiator dropping? Forget the bottle at this point..it's not an expansion tank like CARS use, it's just an overflow/reservoir like cars had 30-40 years ago if you remember those systems. But I'm sure that's already been figured out. Have you looked at the bottom of the water pump yet? Any exhaust smoke? Tailpipe wet? Hoses? Clamps tight? Pressure checked? You're a tech, should have the tools to pressure test it. Warranty? Again, you're a tech, and you know what warranty covers and doesn't...and thus you should know that working on your own equipment doesn't void warranty. My opinion? Diagnose it, then take it to dealer and ask them to fix what you've diagnosed. You're a professional, act like it.

I was once an ASE tech. Hated working commission and went into tractors for myself and found out that owning/operating my own place was only a half day job....just had to figure out which 12 hours I wanted to work...and only 7 days a week. People don't give you breaks. If you stop into the shop to do paperwork on a Sunday afternoon, it's assumed that since my truck was there, I'm open...people calling, beating on the door...and as a professional, I had a hard time turning people away. Just got tired of it and went back to the old place I worked at, salary, and pays about half of what I was making, but I get 2 days off in succession and only have to work 9 hours a day. 8 paid, usually stay at work for lunch, and of course people always asking questions, so I don't really get much of a break. I'll do it as long as my body will let me...if I get another 5 years in, it'll be a miracle.

Dealer is going to get the "deer in the headlights look" when you ask them, because (1) they're not in front of the tractor to do a proper diagnosis, (2) this is not a common issue to my knowledge.
I know what the A stands for. Just giving a background stating I'm not a newbie when it comes to engines diesel or gas car or truck or tractor. This is a mechanically injected compression ignition engine. Same idea no matter what it lives in.This tractor has an expansion tank.
Has a hi low level as it heats up antifreeze level raises and lowers when cools down. If I go and pull the head to check for cracks you can damn well bet they will void my warranty. I've done all necessary testing that can be done without taking engine apart. All signs lead to a problem inside engine. Hasn't gained or dropped oil. Radiator stays full because I don't let expansion tank empty. If I didn't fill it the level would drop. Did a uv check....nothing. So this all leads to a seeping head gasket or a crack in the head. My point to starting this thread was to vent my frustration and see if anyone else has had this issue to find out if this is an issue with newer tractors or not.

jhschlak

Equipment
BX 1880
Apr 5, 2011
Sharon Center, Ohio
I know what the A stands for. Just giving a background stating I'm not a newbie when it comes to engines diesel or gas car or truck or tractor. This is a mechanically injected compression ignition engine. Same idea no matter what it lives in.This tractor has an expansion tank.
Has a hi low level as it heats up antifreeze level raises and lowers when cools down. If I go and pull the head to check for cracks you can damn well bet they will void my warranty. I've done all necessary testing that can be done without taking engine apart. All signs lead to a problem inside engine. Hasn't gained or dropped oil. Radiator stays full because I don't let expansion tank empty. If I didn't fill it the level would drop. Did a uv check....nothing. So this all leads to a seeping head gasket or a crack in the head. My point to starting this thread was to vent my frustration and see if anyone else has had this issue to find out if this is an issue with newer tractors or not.

I have a BX 1880 and about a month ago noticed that my expansion tank was below the low mark. I asked the dealership and they said it could be possibly from evaporation? I filled to about the middle of the expansion tank. I have been checking (although not as closely as you) that it is staying in that area. I will check more closely this evening. My unit has 68 hours on it now. I have not seen one drop of fluid either. I keep mine in the garage and would know for sure if something was on the ground.
I am a novice with these machines, and am no way an expert with engines. Just sharing my issue and trying to find out if I should get the dealer involved.
Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited:

Chaentjens

Equipment
Bx2680
May 13, 2017
moodus
I have a BX 1880 and about a month ago noticed that my expansion tank was below the low mark. I asked the dealership and they said it could be possibly from evaporation? I filled to about the middle of the expansion tank. I have been checking (although not as closely as you) that it is staying in that area. I will check more closely this evening. My unit has 68 hours on it now. I have not seen one drop of fluid either. I keep mine in the garage and would know for sure if something was on the ground.
I am a novice with these machines, and am no way an expert with engines. Just sharing my issue and trying to find out if I should get the dealer involved.
Thanks,
Jeff
Thanks!

Chaentjens

Equipment
Bx2680
May 13, 2017
moodus
I would fill it to high level cold and mark it and continue to mark it after each use once cool and see if the downward trend continues.

jhschlak

Equipment
BX 1880
Apr 5, 2011
Sharon Center, Ohio
I would fill it to high level cold and mark it and continue to mark it after each use once cool and see if the downward trend continues.

Thanks! I’ll do exactly that. I discovered it when I was doing the 50 hour oil change. Now I wish I still had the oil, I would guess there is a lab out there that could tell me if the oil was contaminated. I may have the oil filter in the box in a garbage can, I wonder if that would be enough oil to tell if it was contained a significant amount of coolant.