Scary moment removing MMM (kicked out on angle)

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
I was removing my mower deck for cleaning after finishing my lawn. Not sure what happened but it scared the crap out of me. I'm guessing I wasn't square with the deck when I was backing up or my front wheels weren't straight.
Luckily some blocks, a jack and some jack stands made it a relatively easy recovery after thinking it over and sweating a bit.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I can see how a drive over deck could be a disaster if something small goes cock-eyed!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
85Hokie, don't you have a drive over deck on your B7100?

Mine does. I drive over with my L305 or L4240 and pick up the front of the tractor!:D

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
I've had it move a bit but never to that extent. I wonder if it'd be worth blocking the deck somehow with a couple of wedges until both front wheels are on to of the ramps.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
It would seem being in 2WD will reduce the chance of this happening as the front wheels are just rolling not trying to move the tractor.

Dave M7040

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
That's an interesting thought. Although the manual says to be in 4 low. I figured that was to prevent the front wheels from just dragging the mower deck backward.

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
I would think if tou were in 2wd the tire would freewheel and as you were climbing on ot would let the tire move in any direction like backwards causing it to fling the deck?

Maybe find a way to ancor the deck down.
If you do it in your garage you can tie it back with cables?

Ray

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
85Hokie, don't you have a drive over deck on your B7100?

Mine does. I drive over with my L305 or L4240 and pick up the front of the tractor!:D

Yup - I got drive over .....

Drive over to a flat spot in the yard - FEL with chain, cuss, lift cuss more.
Get on hands and knees, cuss. Unhook stuff, cuss...
while down there, grease the mofo ....cusss and cuss more for getting grease on my new pants......wife is now going to cuss.....

Yes sir re-bob, I have a drive over! :D:)

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Il

Maybe find a way to ancor the deck down.
If you do it in your garage you can tie it back with cables?

Ray
I think I'm going to try something like that to keep the deck from moving
Yup - I got drive over .....

Drive over to a flat spot in the yard - FEL with chain, cuss, lift cuss more.
Get on hands and knees, cuss. Unhook stuff, cuss...
while down there, grease the mofo ....cusss and cuss more for getting grease on my new pants......wife is now going to cuss.....

Yes sir re-bob, I have a drive over! :D:)
Hokie....youre doing it wrong. Lol

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Which aspect was "scary"?

The slope doesn't appear to be greater than the height of the mower deck. Were you concerned that the tractor would tip over?

Sudden and unexpected movements of metal parts are always a concern.

A drive over MMM doesn't seem to offer opportunity for fatal consequences.

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Which aspect was "scary"?

The slope doesn't appear to be greater than the height of the mower deck. Were you concerned that the tractor would tip over?

Sudden and unexpected movements of metal parts are always a concern.

A drive over MMM doesn't seem to offer opportunity for fatal consequences.
Which aspect was Scary? Probably that I had a $30,000 machine in a position that could cause some unwanted damage.

The left tire was barely hanging on the ramp and slowly slipping. The mower deck that it was resting on could had shifted or the tire slipping off of the ramp. And, yes, I was concerned it could tip over or just fall partially onto the deck damaging the deck and anything under the tractor.

I wasn't worried about my life. I just didn't want to damage my machine.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Which aspect was Scary? Probably that I had a $30,000 machine in a position that could cause some unwanted damage.

The left tire was barely hanging on the ramp and slowly slipping. The mower deck that it was resting on could had shifted or the tire slipping off of the ramp. And, yes, I was concerned it could tip over or just fall partially onto the deck damaging the deck and anything under the tractor.

I wasn't worried about my life. I just didn't want to damage my machine.

A drive over deck should be able to handle the weight of the front end of your tractor. One wheel or two.

"Left tire barely hanging.... and slowly slipping" , "damaging the deck" hmmm... much over nothing.

Welcome to the real world of tractor use! Wait till you get into larger implements. Things go "bump" in the night.... and in bright daylight!

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Interesting thread. Confirms my decision to get a 3 point finish rather than a belly mower. Fast on, fast off, no noise under my feet and no windrow.
And it's a breeze to sharpen the blades.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
That's an interesting thought. Although the manual says to be in 4 low. I figured that was to prevent the front wheels from just dragging the mower deck backward.

With the Kubota 4WD system having slightly different ground speeds for the front axle to the rear axle, This differential on hard ground could push or pull the front axle more than the rear and the mower deck moves,

All a mental picture in my head but worth trying .

Dave M7040

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
A drive over deck should be able to handle the weight of the front end of your tractor. One wheel or two.

"Left tire barely hanging.... and slowly slipping" , "damaging the deck" hmmm... much over nothing.

Welcome to the real world of tractor use! Wait till you get into larger implements. Things go "bump" in the night.... and in bright daylight!
Fair enough. Thanks for ridding me of my interest in this forum.

donm1

Equipment
MX4700 JD1050
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, TX, USA
jmf78

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sure this discussion will help others with the MMM's to avoid having to deal with a similar situation.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
jmf78

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sure this discussion will help others with the MMM's to avoid having to deal with a similar situation.
Agree.. rather it is "someones" definition of "scary" or not... information is valuable so thanks for post jmf78 and look forward to more post.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
jmf78

JMF - I'm with donm and coachgeo - thanks for the recount.

Woulda scared the shyt out of me too, if I was at risk to break some new, very expensive equipment!

There's a bunch of guys here getting drive-over MMM's.

This will be helpful now, and down the road for those guys!!:)

That's the beauty of this Forum!!:cool:

Thanks, and like Coach said - look forward to hearing more from you in the future!!:cool:

Last edited:

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Interesting thread. Confirms my decision to get a 3 point finish rather than a belly mower. Fast on, fast off, no noise under my feet and no windrow.
And it's a breeze to sharpen the blades.
Agreed. Never understood the belly mower concept for a "real" tractor. RFM just seems to make so much more sense.

But, back on point for the OP, perhaps the deck being on concrete was an issue? I would suspect, in grass, the deck would be somewhat "locked down" in the turf, and much more stable to drive over. Just a thought.