Bx25 HST fan blade - just 1 blade off

Underwhere

Jul 7, 2013
Freedom, NH
I ruined my HST fan blade before so I had the dealer replace it and I bought underbody armor.

I didn't have it on today. Figured I'd do something quick. I'm not smart. I heard a rotational whine and I stopped asap.

There is a single blade missing on the HST.

What are people's thoughts on whether this will be OK to use?

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525, BH77, LP tiller, LP grader box, LP blade, BX2380
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
My worry would be the imbalance caused by the missing blade...might cause pricier problems like taking out a bearing or seal.:confused:

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I agree with fro, I would worry about the Imbalance. Its not a hard DIY on the later units that have the spacer on the front of the driveshaft. Just remove the foot deck, and access is easy.

This is part of proper BX indoctrination. Kubota gods know if you give it to the dealer and try to skip out.

Paul short has a video on this on a newer bx.

Last edited:

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
As FRO65 said - don't use it with a missing blade. It will probably shake to beat the band, anyhow with being so far off balance.

skohler

Aug 4, 2014
Gettysburg, PA
Looks like there is a fan blade directly across from the one that broke, how about breaking that one off? Would balance it quite a bit better that what you have now- that is until you can get it fixed properly:).

Underwhere

Jul 7, 2013
Freedom, NH
I called the service department of a local Kubota dealer.
They said just 1 blade off the HST fan likely wouldn't cause much of an issue at all. The speed isn't fast enough for the 1 gram or so of missing blade to do any damage.

They said they wouldn't bother replacing the fan unless it causes issues.

They recommended:
1. Make sure fluids are topped off
2. Replace the fan if the transmission starts to feel sluggish or tractor does not operate

So I may just operate it as-is for now.

And save myself the ~$750 to replace it.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I called the service department of a local Kubota dealer.
They said just 1 blade off the HST fan likely wouldn't cause much of an issue at all. The speed isn't fast enough for the 1 gram or so of missing blade to do any damage.

They said they wouldn't bother replacing the fan unless it causes issues.

They recommended:
1. Make sure fluids are topped off
2. Replace the fan if the transmission starts to feel sluggish or tractor does not operate

I agree with your dealer! I see lots of them missing a blade or two and the owner doesn't even know about it.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I cannot believe that one missing blade could weigh enough to cause an impalance that would destroy a bearing. If it weighs a gram or two, would be a lot.

Not like it's turning a cazillion rpm because it's not.

On my wife's zero turn, she broke off a single blade as well and she's been running it all summer no issue. no vibration, nothing. Have a new one in hand and will replace it when I have the time but I don't see how that one very light blade would cause an issue.

Guess if you are concerned, break off the opposing blade and forget about it.

Underwhere

Jul 7, 2013
Freedom, NH
Looks like there is a fan blade directly across from the one that broke, how about breaking that one off? Would balance it quite a bit better that what you have now- that is until you can get it fixed properly:).
You know. I didn't think about that.
I'm going to go get a stick, turn the tractor on and shove it in there at exactly the right time.

Just kidding :)

I think I'll see how it sounds and watch it rotate. If it looks way out of balance I think it might be a good idea.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
How do you people sleep at night!!
;)
Very soundly. Put in my CPAP mask and it's lights out until morning.

Wow, 750 clams to replace that blade and the fan cost maybe 20 bucks to buy and 5 cents to make. Good design there... Seems to me to be a lot of shop time. Must be hard to replace.

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525, BH77, LP tiller, LP grader box, LP blade, BX2380
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
How do you people sleep at night!!
;)
Same thing I wondered.:confused:

Starting to think folks don't understand this little fan cools what is arguably the most expensive part of these little tractors.

Break off more blades...on purpose????:eek:

Underwhere

Jul 7, 2013
Freedom, NH
Same thing I wondered.:confused:

Starting to think folks don't understand this little fan cools what is arguably the most expensive part of these little tractors.

Break off more blades...on purpose????:eek:
Yes but its very primitive in design. It suggests that variability in temperature isn't that important. It runs all the time regardless of temperature (not turned on or off by temp). I wonder what temp the fluid is when the environment is 100 degrees out vs 30 degrees out. Either way the fan is still running.

Not saying it's not important but pointing out the variability in the factory design. I'm optimistic that 1 out of the maybe 12 blades won't make a huge difference.

Even the dealer suggested that.

Very soundly. Put in my CPAP mask and it's lights out until morning.

Wow, 750 clams to replace that blade and the fan cost maybe 20 bucks to buy and 5 cents to make. Good design there... Seems to me to be a lot of shop time. Must be hard to replace.
It's 4 to 5 hours work at $110 an hour.
Then transportation fees to get the tractor to the dealer (I don't have a trailer).

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I was a bit concerned about my wife overheating her Hydro-Gear hydrostat drive unit but I've shot it numerous times with an IR thermometer and there is very little difference temp wise between the side with the broken fan and the other side with a complete fan. Consequently, I'm not losing any sleep over it.:D

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Yes but its very primitive in design. It suggests that variability in temperature isn't that important. It runs all the time regardless of temperature (not turned on or off by temp). I wonder what temp the fluid is when the environment is 100 degrees out vs 30 degrees out. Either way the fan is still running.

Not saying it's not important but pointing out the variability in the factory design. I'm optimistic that 1 out of the maybe 12 blades won't make a huge difference.

Even the dealer suggested that.

It's 4 to 5 hours work at $110 an hour.
Then transportation fees to get the tractor to the dealer (I don't have a trailer).
Glad I deal with the dealer I have. His shop rate is 80 bucks an hour plus, if I'm doing something at home to either of my tractors and need a special Kubota tool, I can borrow it from him.

My dealer picks them up (if they need to go to the shop) and while I'm not sure if he ever charged me to pick them up (rarely), I cannot say for certain he did charge me anything, but I do buy everything (except lubricants) from him and have for years and he always affords me an excellent price on parts.

Everything here is orange except my hay tools and those would be orange if Kubota was making hay tools when I bought them. Got a new Kubota rake on order right now.

I dread the day when he goes from the 'mom and pop' shop to the tractor supermarket like JD dealers are now Just lost our last independent JD dealer this spring. Fred Ott in Berkey, Ohio was bought out by Findlay Equipment. Findlay is a multi store JD franchisee.

I know that Kubota is pushing him to modernize. Hope he resists. I like to just the way it is now and so do most of his loyal customers and he has a bunch. He sells a ton of Kubota tractors and Land Pride implements.

Sorry about the rambling. Was just down to Berkey to get some JD parts. I found the new 'owner' to be less family orientated than the old owners.

Underwhere

Jul 7, 2013
Freedom, NH
I wish I had that situation near me... Though the dealer I go to has always taken care of me (as much as a larger company could).

Nice info on the IR temp readings. That is helpful.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA

I now have a new retirement plan. I'm going to only change out these HST fans ...I'll do a couple a week. :D