Post hole auger size

Stomper

Equipment
2017 L2501. Landpride Mower. Farm King Snow Blower. DIY Root Bucket grapple.
Jun 30, 2017
Northern Canada
There is a post hole auger coming up in a local auction and if I can get it cheap enough and it will work for my purpose I might buy it. It comes with a 24" auger. I realize that a 24" auger would probably be too big for my little Kubota L2501, especially since I have alot of clay around my yard. What would be the max size bit for my tractor in clay conditions. I'm not sure how deep the clay goes.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The 24" auger is probably from a contractor or utility company. You said "Probably be too big...". No, it's WAY too big, and heavy.

This might give you an idea. https://www.woodsequipment.com/productDetails.aspx?id=374

I'd suggest buying the size needed for what ever you are putting in the ground, not what is on sale. It'll be easier digging and easier on you and the tractor.

prof.fate

Equipment
75 L175, 14 toro timesaver, Landpride boxblade, countyline auger
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
I got a 15" for my L175 - 17hp and had no issues digging as long as I was careful not to get it stuck in the ground!

Depends on what you like - a friend has 6" and likes it for posts - I like 15 as I can pack the dirt with a spud bar - it fits.

And augers go in at a slight angle (due to arc of the 3 point) - qith an oversize hole it's easy to plumb the post. With a tight hole you need to move the tractor forward slightly as you auger.

24 sounds like overkill, but you can get other sizes at tractor supply.

Stomper

Equipment
Jun 30, 2017
Northern Canada
Thanks, that helps alot. I was just wondering what the biggest size holes I could dig with it so I could make the decision weather it was worth bidding on.

skohler

Aug 4, 2014
Gettysburg, PA
I was given a 24" auger that was surplus to a public utility company. They were going to scrap it and my brother in law grabbed it for me. Hate to crab about free implements, but I probably should not have taken it. First off, it is too big and heavy for one person to maneuver onto the tractor. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it was 300+ pounds. Second, I'm a little leery about using it on my L3800 as I could see some serious damage occurring if something binds. I could not imagine one on a smaller tractor.

Buying a 6, 8 or 12" tractor supply auger would be my preference. bidding on a monster and then having to buy a smaller bit may put you over the cost of a new one sized well.

Stomper

Equipment
Jun 30, 2017
Northern Canada
It's not the 24" bit that I am interested in, It's the auger attachment. It just comes with the auger. I was just looking for some guideline as to what size bit my tractor could handle in clay soil. I need to drill some holes to accept 8" sono tube

Redbusdriver

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23S MMM PHD Grapple
Apr 13, 2017
Vancouver WA
I run a 9 inch bit on my 17 pto hp BX with no problem in loamy soil with potato sized random rocks. Just clear your hole often and getting your sonotube in should be no problem. I bet a 12 inch would be OK with your machine.

Any good farm store should have or be able to get you any size bit you want. There are also extension tubes if you need to go deeper than your bit is long.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
8" to 12" on a L will be fine, just don't let it screw itself into the ground, lift it out often. ;)

frierfly

Equipment
B26TLB
Sep 15, 2019
Kentucky
Does anyone have links to auger extensions? I have a SpeeCo Model 70 digger. Rural King and TSC didn't have any, SpeeCo doesn't make an extension either. The only extensions I can find are for skid steer mounted augers, and those are the wrong diameter to fit my digger and auger.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Does anyone have links to auger extensions? I have a SpeeCo Model 70 digger. Rural King and TSC didn't have any, SpeeCo doesn't make an extension either. The only extensions I can find are for skid steer mounted augers, and those are the wrong diameter to fit my digger and auger.
An extension is pretty easy to fabricate. Here's a few pics of mine for my old SpeeCo. A piece of pipe cut to length that will slip over your power head shaft and a solid round bar welded to the other end that will slip into your auger bit. Drill mounting holes accordingly. Two bolts welded to the top of the frame keeps it from getting lost in the shed. :D A few plug welds attaches the round bar to the extension pipe.
DSC05855 (3).jpg

DSC05856 (3).jpg

DSC05857 (3).jpg

DSC05859 (3).jpg

This extension is 2 feet and with it can drill close to a 6 foot deep hole. You do have to auger without it first and then add the extension to finish the deeper hole. A little cumbersome but it sure beats doing the last 2 feet by hand! As mentioned: Go slow, keep the holes cleaned out as you go, and have a helper to eyeball and keep the holes vertical. It's a hole/whole lot of digging to remove an auger stuck 5 to 6 feet down!!!:D

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I rather doubt 'all bits' fit 'all drives'. THAT is kinda important !

Similar to buying a 5/8" air impact ,great deal,(LOTS of power) BUT just WHO stock $$$$ 5/8" drive bits !!!

See if you can get real infomation about the drive unit...make/model/etc. It could be 'custom' built for the hydro company...

BTW walk behind snowblower 8 and 10HP engines are 7/8" shafts for the pulleys !!! NOT the 'industry standard" of 1 inch....