Pto saw or gas powered saw attachment

jordan2140

Oct 1, 2017
US
Who has fabricated their own pull behind tree saw? Thinking of converting a brush hog to a saw blade or adding a harbor freight gas motor and blade to a brush hog shell. Would have to relocate the drag wheel and maybe add one in each corner.

I saw a homemade on Craigslist a while back but having trouble finding plans or videos on diy attachments. Would be running on a lt245dt. I know they have industrial ones that run $5k but that cost more than my tractor. See my sketch for what I am thinking!

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
don't forget added cost of ROP and limb cage to put over the cab for the times the thing falls back on you. Limiting the size of the gap for the exposed blade will help keep the person who gets this unit after your gone from cutting down things too big I guess.

could maybe mount a gas chain saw to be the saw.. though probably cant get low enough that way.

jordan2140

Oct 1, 2017
US
don't forget added cost of ROP and limb cage to put over the cab for the times the thing falls back on you. Limiting the size of the gap for the exposed blade will help keep the person who gets this unit after your gone from cutting down things too big I guess.

could maybe mount a gas chain saw to be the saw.. though probably cant get low enough that way.
Haha. My wife makes me wear a helmet anyway.

I was thinking 4 to 6 inch trees max. Most are mesquite and not too tall but are full of thorns!

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
How about adding a spring loaded guard on the top side of the blade. This will also allow the blade to cut the tree without having the blade exposed.
Literally a few pieces of angle steel, some bolts and a spring or two, that as you back into the tree, it gets pushed forward by the tree, or swings to one side on a pivot point, while the blade cuts.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I would lean toward gas engine. If that pinches quick, your tractor's PTO is gonna take a beating....

A buzz saw blade might work, but they're not designed to have the pressure from weight of a tree on them as it cuts through. Seems tree saw blades are much thicker than a buzz saw?

Last edited:

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I'd prefer the PTO with a good clutch over the engine. And do think of safety if you attempt this!

gcmiller

Equipment
B2910, LA402 FEL, Caroni TC-910 91" finish mower, RTV900
Mar 13, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Other than the obvious cool factor, is there any reason to not just use a chainsaw? It seems like for 4 in to 6 in trees a chainsaw would be faster, safer and cheaper. Just curious what the motivation is here, it might help us come up with ideas for you.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Other than the obvious cool factor, is there any reason to not just use a chainsaw? It seems like for 4 in to 6 in trees a chainsaw would be faster, safer and cheaper. Just curious what the motivation is here, it might help us come up with ideas for you.
I think he mentioned thorns, he might not want to get closer then 6' to the trunk and a 6' bar would be a lot of chain saw.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I think he mentioned thorns, he might not want to get closer then 6' to the trunk and a 6' bar would be a lot of chain saw.
I would still make a hydraulic powered or even PTO powered chain saw on a 3 point, It would be 1000% more efficient! ;)
All you would need is a big bar and chain and drive sprocket and make it all up.
I've even seen buzz saws that use a chain saw chain as there cutter wheel, very effective.

One advantage to doing this is that because he's using it on a three point with a
very uncontrollable rear crawl rate (would work much better with a HST tractor), you could make the cutting bar/wheel be spring loaded or hydraulically controlled to help with the cut pressure and rate. ;)