OK - what "NOT" to do

cmorris1

Equipment
L3901 HST
Nov 30, 2014
Louisville/Hart Co.
So we went to the farm this weekend and darn snow was messing with my game!! Favorite Brother in law said he would help,,, He was very stable with the grapple,,,,, did I go to far - the game was a good one!!

Attachments

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I've done that many times but after having someone on the tractor that shouldn't have been and dumped me out from full height I don't do it like that any more. I built a work platform with hand rails that goes on my forks.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Done that on several occasions trimming tree branches back. I've also been for a few rides in trackhoe buckets out of necessity with extenuating circumstances :D I'm very picky about who is operating the equipment though.

bgk

Apr 23, 2017
Accord, ny
It’s happened to me with my dish. My solution has been to hook the hose up directly to the hot water tank with a good spray nozzle on “jet” setting, the strongest stream. Spray that bad boy down with some hot water from the ground and you’re back in business before the kubota is even warmed up.

bgk

Apr 23, 2017
Accord, ny
Done that on several occasions trimming tree branches back. I've also been for a few rides in trackhoe buckets out of necessity with extenuating circumstances :D I'm very picky about who is operating the equipment though.

Almost lost my pinky at 19 going up in the bucket of a backhoe with the owner of the property operating and myself being the more experienced operator. He sent me up and my finger was just in the wrong spot and got caught between the boom and bucket. I yelled!!! Thankfully the guy had the good sense to simply let go of the controls and let me tell him what to do to free my appendage. It was my fault, and I’m thankful he was quick but level headed. Still got the widow maker down before I touched ground again with the broken finger.

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
ok, now that you've had some fun. get the heater kit for your dish. mounts on the back. is thermostatic controlled. just plug it in when winter arrives and it keeps the dish above freezing. i would plug it into a outside socket, that has a inside switch controlling the socket.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Almost lost my pinky at 19 going up in the bucket of a backhoe with the owner of the property operating and myself being the more experienced operator. He sent me up and my finger was just in the wrong spot and got caught between the boom and bucket. I yelled!!! Thankfully the guy had the good sense to simply let go of the controls and let me tell him what to do to free my appendage. It was my fault, and I’m thankful he was quick but level headed. Still got the widow maker down before I touched ground again with the broken finger.
First time was to get pulled out of a pond. Landed into some silt on the bottom and got stuck. Silt was pretty much bottomless and the only thing keeping me from sinking deeper was what I had a hold of. Operator swung the boom over me, and I grabbed a hold of the teeth on the bucket. Had to shuck out of my boots to get free.

Second time was to get away from a ticked off gator. Was working on a pump in the bottom of a retention pond that was being built. Gator came out of the water after me. I spent about 20 minutes on top of the pump I was working while the contractor walked a high reach trackhoe to my location. I road the pump up to the next level of the pond.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
I built a work platform with hand rails that goes on my forks.
I did that right away before the first time since the wife would be operating the controls. Afraid she might dump me on purpose. :D

tthorkil

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M9540HDC12 / LX2610HSDC / ZD1011-48 / Bobcat S250
Jan 1, 2011
Bagley, MN, United States
I found this on Craigslist for $300 last year - SSQA or forks w/strap. I have used it a few times for trimming trees. I found that I have much better view and reach using it on my M9540 than my Bobcat. It has the rails to help protect the passenger but you have to be very cautious or the passenger could sustain injuries. I would not be the passenger unless the operator was someone that I trusted to be a cautious operator.

Attachments

captmikem

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660 MX 4800 and a bunch of attachments.
Mar 16, 2017
SW Washington State.
I tie a hoe handle to the end of the joystick for the FEL, then I control it from the bucket. works pretty good but you have to have a soft touch.

M

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I tie a hoe handle to the end of the joystick for the FEL, then I control it from the bucket. works pretty good but you have to have a soft touch.

M
That reminds me of a power plan operator who put on a harness and hoisted himself over a cooling tower pump pit with the overhead crane. He was washing down the pumps with a hose and wand, but dropped the crane control box. The supervisor went looking for him a couple of hours later and rescued him.

kris77

Jun 9, 2016
CA
My neighbor sprays his with cooking oil. Snow just slides off. He swears by it. I think it would mess with reception, i haven't tried it yet. I haven't had much problem with snow sticking to it this year though.

jabloomf1230

Equipment
B 3200
Sep 28, 2014
Voorheesville, NY
OK - what "NOT" to do

The photo in the original post looks like something out of a health and safety training video. My favorite sequence is the one where the guy set up a 14 foot aluminum ladder in the middle of a full indoor swimming pool in order to change overhead light bulbs.

Dahubb

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2018
North Central Pennsylvania
When I used satellite I used to climb out a bathroom window in who knows what snow. I found electrical conduit was a cheap solution couple it together with good fittings. Then secure a dust brush or broom to the end. I used tie wraps after I would put a few holes in the handle. This way you can use any size conduit (it's cheap) for it to be rigid. In the warmer months you can break it down and store it.

PS hose clamps work great too

Last edited:

BWXT

Equipment
'83 B5100D
As a teenager, I used to trim hedges that way for a guy I would work for from time to time. He's still a good friend to this day, but its funny how from the tractor's seat he never seemed to care as much as I did when I hit a bees nest with the trimmers. LOL