Hydraulic top link vs side link

brimar

Equipment
bx 1870 48" mmm fel
Oct 5, 2014
lancaster PA
I received a rear remote hyd kit for my bx 1870 fo Christmas.l read a lot of guys get a hyd top link but I think hyd side link would work better for me.my implements are a 54” box blade and 60” blade. I would like input from guys that have both and what they use the most .

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
For box blade use the top link is handy for changing the angle of the face of the blade for grading, digging, or smoothing of the material your working in. Side link is handy for doing crowns on the driveway or ditch work on the side or similar projects. If i had to pick one or the other I would choose top link. Each person has different needs for their projects and working conditions.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
The thing is, assuming you have a std box blade you can sure grade better being able to tilt the box forward-backward fully utilizing the front and rear cutting edges for both cutting and smoothing purposes.

The side link provides a whole different perspective for grading, that's why it is typically best to have both. The vast majority of people that only get one or the other get the top link.

You would use the side link more with your rear blade I would think. You can
get tilt on the rear blade using the top link. but you loose optimum blade cutting angle by doing so.

In your situation, only being able to control a single cylinder, I would recommend that you go with a top link.

But ultimately it is your decision to make.

Good luck with that decision. ;)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
brimar - -

I see you have a box blade. Box blade is my favorite on my BX, and often think a hydraulic top link would be best for my needs if I had to pick one or the other.

MtnViewRanch recommends top link.

I'd stick with his recommendation - - this is his website, and he's made up a few TnT sets in his day. Knows his stuff.

http://fitritehydraulics.com/index.html

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I find a side-link handy, but a top-link essential, my use only.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Other ways to deal with this, get both. :) Use the one you need at the time, the cylinder will stay in place once the hoses are unplugged from the couplers. Or get a second control valve, either a separate control valve or add a diverter to what you now have. :cool:

If you want to just stay with the single valve and get only a top link or a side link, as mentioned I recommend the top link. ;)

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I installed the Kubota BX rear remotes on my Bx2370 and have a hydraulic top link. Your biggest problem will be finding cylinders short enough to use for the top link or side link on a BX tractor. I still have not found a side link for my BX2370 and am not willing to pay to have one built to fit.

brimar

Equipment
bx 1870 48" mmm fel
Oct 5, 2014
lancaster PA
Thanks for taking the time for your input it is greatly appreciated. When the time comes I will probably start with a top link.

kubotan

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3350C, FEL, Pallet fork, Backhoe, Back snowblower, Rear Mower, Box scrapper
Apr 20, 2017
St-Jerome, QC, Canada
jorush.ca
I custom made a top and side link for my B3350 and at first it was awesome but when I had to grade with my box blade (or anything else attached to it), I noticed the cylinders were going down. They just won't hold their position.

The side link is the worst because it takes the most weight but the top one did fail to hold its position too. It is the same thing as you would let the FEL up and it slowly go down.

I was really glad I did this until I had to fight with the box blade each 10 minutes...

Attachments

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I custom made a top and side link for my B3350 and at first it was awesome but when I had to grade with my box blade (or anything else attached to it), I noticed the cylinders were going down. They just won't hold their position.

The side link is the worst because it takes the most weight but the top one did fail to hold its position too. It is the same thing as you would let the FEL up and it slowly go down.

I was really glad I did this until I had to fight with the box blade each 10 minutes...
I started with a plain cylinder for a top link on my BX and had to add a throttle valve for speed control. I then had the same problem with the cylinder not holding, however I found that by closing the throttle valve the cylinder would hold the position. This indicates that the remote control valve was leaking and not the cylinder. I changed out the cylinder for a top link cylinder with locking check valves and the top link now holds position. If I find a standard cylinder that will fit a BX tilt I would just use a throttle valve to lock that cylinder in position.

kubotan

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3350C, FEL, Pallet fork, Backhoe, Back snowblower, Rear Mower, Box scrapper
Apr 20, 2017
St-Jerome, QC, Canada
jorush.ca
I started with a plain cylinder for a top link on my BX and had to add a throttle valve for speed control. I then had the same problem with the cylinder not holding, however I found that by closing the throttle valve the cylinder would hold the position. This indicates that the remote control valve was leaking and not the cylinder. I changed out the cylinder for a top link cylinder with locking check valves and the top link now holds position. If I find a standard cylinder that will fit a BX tilt I would just use a throttle valve to lock that cylinder in position.
Would you have a link and/or photo of this? Would be really interested.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Would you have a link and/or photo of this? Would be really interested.
Sorry for the delay its that time of year. This is where I got my hydraulic top link with check valves. http://www.haytools.com/TNT.htm
You probably have more options with a slightly bigger tractor. I would still consider a throttle valve to lock the tilt cylinder unless you have a need to adjust the tilt on the fly.