LED Light Wiring B7200E

JimmytheGeek

Equipment
B7200E
Mar 12, 2016
Franklin, KY
Hey y'all, I have an early 80s model with 1157 headlight bulbs. I'm replacing those with a 12" LED light bar on a custom bracket I've built. The only thing I need to double-check is how to wire them in. I've looked over the OTT forum, but the search function is notoriously awful and takes out "LED" as my search term.

Can anyone tell me if it's safe to use the original headlight wiring for LED power, or do I need to add a rectifier somewhere in-line from the OE headlight switch?

Thanks in advance!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hey y'all, I have an early 80s model with 1157 headlight bulbs. I'm replacing those with a 12" LED light bar on a custom bracket I've built. The only thing I need to double-check is how to wire them in. I've looked over the OTT forum, but the search function is notoriously awful and takes out "LED" as my search term.

Can anyone tell me if it's safe to use the original headlight wiring for LED power, or do I need to add a rectifier somewhere in-line from the OE headlight switch?

Thanks in advance!
As long as the bulbs are designed for 12 volts - you are fine. (I am sure the light bar is designed for 12 volts)

Now - light bar "might" draw a little more amps than 2 reg bulbs that you have currently, but I bet it is going to be close.

WHAT does it say the LED bar draws in amps? Ought to say on the light or the box.

JimmytheGeek

Equipment
B7200E
Mar 12, 2016
Franklin, KY
As long as the bulbs are designed for 12 volts - you are fine. (I am sure the light bar is designed for 12 volts)

Now - light bar "might" draw a little more amps than 2 reg bulbs that you have currently, but I bet it is going to be close.

WHAT does it say the LED bar draws in amps? Ought to say on the light or the box.
I can't find any electrical specs outside of what the listing on eBay shows, and no amperage is visible. It says it's a 72W light, input voltage range is 9-30v. So assuming a 12-volt input, would that mean it's a 6-amp draw? Amps = Watts/volts

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I can't find any electrical specs outside of what the listing on eBay shows, and no amperage is visible. It says it's a 72W light, input voltage range is 9-30v. So assuming a 12-volt input, would that mean it's a 6-amp draw? Amps = Watts/volts

Amps will go down slightly while running ......alternator will place about 13.8 volts to system, amps will drop slightly (5 amp ish). But 6 amps sounds about right.

Find the fuse that controls the lights - if 10 or bigger - you should be fine!;):)

JimmytheGeek

Equipment
B7200E
Mar 12, 2016
Franklin, KY
Amps will go down slightly while running ......alternator will place about 13.8 volts to system, amps will drop slightly (5 amp ish). But 6 amps sounds about right.

Find the fuse that controls the lights - if 10 or bigger - you should be fine!;):)
Okay, thanks, Hokie!