B7001 Radiator... Advice.

asbug

Equipment
B7001 - looks orange to me... Woods 5' scrape, 42" rotary cutter, shreader/chip.
Feb 11, 2011
Varnell,GA - USA
Spent the day servicing the 1977 B7001.
It has had a leaking radiator since I have had it.
I removed the radiator, replaced the hoses, flushed the block, adjusted the belt tension (pain to do with radiator in place..), changed the oil and filter (why all the screens...), then I attacked the radiator.
I found all 4 - FOUR leaks by pressurizing the removed radiator with a garden hose and seals. all the leaks were fron just rotted out channels. I clipped the tops and bottons of the channels and sealed the top and bottom resevoirs. (six or so of the channels had already been done.) I then tested for leaks - OK one small drip that I fixed. I buttoned up the unit and took it out for a spin. Come back and it is leaking like a sieve again....New holes new leaks new places... I hypothesize that the thing is just plain rotten.

Any one have a good source for a new unit. On Ebay they are about $400 (HST - mine isn't will that even work...) I am cheep, so I will investigate any and all avenues before parting with that dough.

I am going to remove the radiator tommorow and take it by the Radiator shop for a quote to have it re cored.

As a side note, there was no h2o in the oil, and no oil in the H2o.
I did rinse out som rust when I flushed the block, but not an exorbiant amount.

Any Ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
KC

asbug

Equipment
B7001 - looks orange to me... Woods 5' scrape, 42" rotary cutter, shreader/chip.
Feb 11, 2011
Varnell,GA - USA
Any particular reason why you don't just take it to a radiator shop?
I am planning on trying that route, just wanted to see if any one else had a different idea of what to do.
I am an air cooled VW guy so I'm not too fond of radiators!
LOL
KC