B7800 clutch problem ?

Hodgy

Equipment
B7800, front blade, box blade, subsoiler & 3 PTH snowblower
Apr 19, 2019
Canada

Today I was out blowing snow with the B7800 and was returning home running in 2WD when the tractor made a grinding noise and coasted to a stop. I depressed the clutch which made a awful noise like a seized release bearing. I could not get it in any gear and had to tow it home. Hydraulics work for the blade and the 3 PTH.

I have looked on this site and searched Youtube to see what is involved in splitting the tractor or any other information out there. Some questions.

Is the B7800 a wet or dry clutch ?

Has anyone changed their clutch on a B7800 ?

Does anyone have words of wisdom for me ?

This is going to be lovely, winter, tractor does not fit in my garage, does not fit in my Shelterlogic tent, and I do love working on machinery in the open during a Canadian winter.

That's my story and I am sticking to it . . . . .

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.

Hodgy

Equipment
B7800, front blade, box blade, subsoiler & 3 PTH snowblower
Apr 19, 2019
Canada
This sounds hauntingly familiar. Except that when mine failed, the broken bits seized the engine.

Mine is a B7100, but it may be similar and this thread may be helpful:

https://orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39780

Thanks torch. I forgot to mention great noise whenever I depress the clutch pedal and it won't move in L, M or H, that is why I think it is the clutch and not the transmission.

I almost missed seeing the chunk of metal missing out of the disc, that would make a noise just like I am hearing in mine.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Order up a throwout bearing, clutch disk, pressure plate, and pilot bushing/bearing and some gray RTV.
and have a good tarp to cover it.

Pick the best couple days possible, you'll need to get the loader off of it, build a quick pad of some 2x4's, 2x6's or 4x4's and some 1/2 osb or plywood.
4 sheets so you end up with a 8x16 pad works really well.
set the tractor to the rear of the pad, you'll roll the front out when you split it.

No, I've never done one of these outside or in the field....:rolleyes: :p :D