L2501 Transmission/Hydraulic Fluid

Lunker

Equipment
L2501 Loader Backhoe
Jun 18, 2019
Tafton, PA
So I might have screwed up. Had a lose hydraulic hose on the backhoe, lost a bit of fluid and could not see the level in the sight window. Started to add fluid, added almost two gallons and still no line. Ran out of fluid so I decided to try operating the tractor. It will not go at all bogging down and started to smell an odor. So question is what are the signs of too much fluid? I’m wondering if I overfilled the transmission/hydraulic fluid? Wish it had a dipstick to check the level rather than that sight window.

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Hello
I find the easy way to check the level when I change the hydraulics is to remove the window. On the L2501 it just screws out. I take it out and put a pan under it and start to fill. When it starts running out I put the window back in.
Good luck Lance

nbking

Equipment
L2501HST 4X4, Rtv-x900
Jul 8, 2018
Sonora, CA
It's very easy to overfill, once you drain some out, and can see the really white sight gauge, and how it looks after full. I overfilled mine when I changed the filters at 50hrs, and I used the shop vac method, and really didn't lose much, but was convinced that maybe the shop vac sucked up some, but after putting in a gallon, I was like HOLD ON. Drained about two gallons out, and could definitely see the difference in color.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
I***8217;ve read the 3 point and FEL need to be as low as possible when checking the level. Not sure what that means since you have a BH though.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Yes when checking hydraulic fluid level make sure all of your hydraulics are withdrawn, not extended, and then turn the engine off, then check the level. If the hydraulics are extended then they are holding fluid in them, so when you check, it may show as low, and if you add fluid and bring it up to normal, then withdraw your hydraulics, it returns that fluid as well and now you're over filled. 1-2 gallons is a lot...did you think you had actually lost that much fluid?

Reactions: 1 user

Lunker

Equipment
L2501 Loader Backhoe
Jun 18, 2019
Tafton, PA
Hey thanks “007kubota guy” removing the window worked like a charm, drained out the excessive fluid and tractor is back to running like it is supposed to :) :)

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
Hey thanks “007kubota guy” removing the window worked like a charm, drained out the excessive fluid and tractor is back to running like it is supposed to :) :)

Another thanks to the orange spy. Removing the window should be in a sticky for getting the fluid level correct.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Yes when checking hydraulic fluid level make sure all of your hydraulics are withdrawn, not extended, and then turn the engine off, then check the level. If the hydraulics are extended then they are holding fluid in them, so when you check, it may show as low, and if you add fluid and bring it up to normal, then withdraw your hydraulics, it returns that fluid as well and now you're over filled. 1-2 gallons is a lot...did you think you had actually lost that much fluid?
Ive seen this posted quite a bit about having all the cylinders retracted and its quite possible I am missing something, I’m a little hydraulically challenged. All the cylinders on my loader and back hoe are double acting cylinders, so does it really matter wether they are extended or retracted? Won’t it displace the same amount of fluid on either side of the piston regardless of where its at?

Gillie Dog

Equipment
L2501 HST, FEL, Forks Attachment, Harrow Disc, etc.
Dec 12, 2018
Southern California
Ive seen this posted quite a bit about having all the cylinders retracted and its quite possible I am missing something, I’m a little hydraulically challenged. All the cylinders on my loader and back hoe are double acting cylinders, so does it really matter wether they are extended or retracted? Won’t it displace the same amount of fluid on either side of the piston regardless of where its at?
The shafts take up a lot of space in the cylinder on one side and also remove significant square inches of space to push on thus dropping strength/pounds of push in that direction. Fluid held on the shaft side could be 50% or much less of that on the other side. In the retracted direction the least fluid is inside the cylinder and maybe why that is the best time to check level otherwise could be over full when they are retracted if filling was done extended.

GD

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
The shafts take up a lot of space in the cylinder on one side and also remove significant square inches of space to push on thus dropping strength/pounds of push in that direction. Fluid held on the shaft side could be 50% or much less of that on the other side. In the retracted direction the least fluid is inside the cylinder and maybe why that is the best time to check level otherwise could be over full when they are retracted if filling was done extended.

GD
Thanks GD! Ive always been looking at the small picture when seeing those posts, now I see the big picture!