Bad liquid gasket when re-assembly leaking?

Ossipeepoolguy

Jun 1, 2016
Elon, NC
New to working on L tractors all together, my tractor is a L4200. However about a year ago I had the seal go out for the front shaft and got a guy that replaced that for me. Only problem is now the tractor leaks all the hydraulic fluid out of the seam where the clutch housing and mid case meet. The liquid gasket maker has been eaten away or slipped out of the seam and leaks out every bit of fluid.

This is my first attempt at splitting a tractor of any type and I have the tractor torn down all the way to being able to pull the bolts and nuts to split the tractor. My question is can I just split the tractor on the back side of the clutch housing as opposed to splitting it at the bell housing then taking the clutch housing off the replace the liquid gasket? Is this gasket that has came out of place my only problem? On a side not would it be more efficient for me to make a gasket out of cork as opposed to going back with another liquid gasket? I just don’t want to have to do this again a year down the road.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No split it at the clutch housing and work back.
Looks like they used RTV not what you want you want, you want anaerobic sealer.

When you disassemble it, you need to make sure you clean all the RTV gunk out of the system.
New filters, new fluid.

No do not put cork or any other gasket material in there, just split it and clean both surfaces spotless and with something like brake parts cleaner, then anaerobic sealer and reassemble. ;)

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Yes, wrong type sealant. Kubota gives a part number for the proper sealant; but people automatically think that "liquid gasket" is all the same (and it is definitely not). You have to split at the clutch housing, then remove the clutch housing from the mid case, only way to do it. Trying to split it at the seam between the mid case & clutch housing is WAY more work than it's worth. Trust me, I have tried. I got real good at splitting an L4310 (basically same tractor) due to a transmission problem that couldn't be fixed without replacing the entire transmission....split it I think 11 times, each time reassemble (totally), then test drive for about 30 minutes, leak or stop pulling, split it again, repeat. I will NEVER forget that tractor. If it comes up for sale and in my budget, I'm gonna buy it and burn it to the ground! I hate that tractor.

Ossipeepoolguy

Jun 1, 2016
Elon, NC
Thanks guys, I’ve got it all torn apart and so far it’s been smooth sailing. Re assembly might be the tough part. I’ve had some guys mention loctite 515 for the gasket material. Is this the same thing you would suggest? Thanks, Alex.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
No, kubota has a specified liquid gasket. Actually a couple, one is a kubota part number the other is Threebond (I think 1204?). The WSM shows it, may also show it on the parts breakdown but the WSM does for sure.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
kubota's equivalent is 77700-01822. I ain't at the shop but I think it's still available. If not, try 70000-73763 or 4. 3 is white, 4 is light gray. Either work. I personally let it dry and then paint the joint but it's just something that I do.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
kubota's equivalent is 77700-01822. I ain't at the shop but I think it's still available. If not, try 70000-73763 or 4. 3 is white, 4 is light gray. Either work. I personally let it dry and then paint the joint but it's just something that I do.
They get $25 for 3 OZ of it. Yikes!
But if it work it works.
Curious because some list that as just high temp RTV?