7060 Loosing Power

dngranch

Equipment
Oct 4, 2019
Palestine TX
My 7060 is loosing power under load. I have taken it to the Dealer and they have had it for three weeks and can't find out what is wrong. They acknowledge that is it loosing power under load but have no answers. They stated today they are going to do a compression check. Stated it takes 4 hours just to get the injectors out. He also stated they have been having a problem with head bolts. Anybody else have this issue? Tractor was bought in January and now has 110 hrs. :mad:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Anything with common rail injection, yes it takes a while to access the cylinder head/injectors. 4 hours is about right. Basically just like a diesel truck. You start removing stuff until you can SEE the engine, and then take more stuff off until you can GET TO it.

I suspect they're going to do a compression test because that's one of the "steps" in isolating failing injectors (or what I call in-JUNK-tors). Seemed to see a few of those this year but on different equipment/engines. Remember, with common rail injection, if you starve it for fuel, if it gets ANY water in the fuel, or ANY gasoline (basically anything BUT pure diesel fuel), it's hard on the supply pump, injectors, fuel rail sensors, limiter valves, etc. That is why I can't stress enough the importance of clean, fresh fuel--and zero water content. Diagnosis on these is more of a process of elimination than it is finding the failed part and replacing/repairing it. That's what I absolutely HATE about common rail, and is exactly why I'm considering changing professions.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
My neighbors M8560 got water in fuel system & required new common rain pump & injectors to the tune of over $8000. I'm glad I own all older style tractors with older not so picky fuel systems.

dngranch

Equipment
Oct 4, 2019
Palestine TX
I have another common rail tractor and it has had no issues, running on the same fuel. I filter through 10 micron filter and the red ring was at the bottom of the fuel water separator. They said they were having trouble with the head bolts on some of these models. I just want my tractor back so I can finish my work. You buy new to try to eliminate down time. :mad:

dngranch

Equipment
Oct 4, 2019
Palestine TX
That's crazy. They should have filters to safeguard the fuel system. I asked several of the mechanics and service manager, what micron filter does Kubota use, and no one could answer me.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I have another common rail tractor and it has had no issues, running on the same fuel. I filter through 10 micron filter and the red ring was at the bottom of the fuel water separator. They said they were having trouble with the head bolts on some of these models. I just want my tractor back so I can finish my work. You buy new to try to eliminate down time. :mad:
Buying new (with all the Tier 4 emission stuff) is, at least in my opinion, buying trouble.

Gone is the era of a 'mechanic', replaced by a 'technician' who uses a laptop computer to diagnose issue and then practices the 'process of elimination' to fix the issue... at your expense of course, unless it's emissions related, then, there is a warranty mandated by the government.

I'll never own one. I can keep my pre Tier 4 M's running just fine for as long as I require them and when I don't the resale value will be high because most people are aware of the issues and really don't want to be 'on the hook' to fix them.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
That's crazy. They should have filters to safeguard the fuel system. I asked several of the mechanics and service manager, what micron filter does Kubota use, and no one could answer me.
They probably don't know. If I were you, considering how touchy the new common rail high pressure injection is, think I'd be installing a (think it's called) Davco pre filter. They use them in commercial applications and marine applications and you can buy various micron cartridges to comply your needs.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Anything with common rail injection, yes it takes a while to access the cylinder head/injectors. 4 hours is about right. Basically just like a diesel truck. You start removing stuff until you can SEE the engine, and then take more stuff off until you can GET TO it.

I suspect they're going to do a compression test because that's one of the "steps" in isolating failing injectors (or what I call in-JUNK-tors). Seemed to see a few of those this year but on different equipment/engines. Remember, with common rail injection, if you starve it for fuel, if it gets ANY water in the fuel, or ANY gasoline (basically anything BUT pure diesel fuel), it's hard on the supply pump, injectors, fuel rail sensors, limiter valves, etc. That is why I can't stress enough the importance of clean, fresh fuel--and zero water content. Diagnosis on these is more of a process of elimination than it is finding the failed part and replacing/repairing it. That's what I absolutely HATE about common rail, and is exactly why I'm considering changing professions.
I know of a Freightliner dealership that is looking for technicians. Least with big trucks, most of the issues have been addressed with Tier 4. Still have lowest bidder component failure but not as bad as a year ago. Most of the issues now revolve around improper dosing of DPF and cold weather issues.

dngranch

Equipment
Oct 4, 2019
Palestine TX
Thanks Sidecarflip. I will look into that filter. There should be a filter there to prevent damage to your fuel system. Also there should be a strainer in the intake neck of the fuel tank like on my Mahindra.

dngranch

Equipment
Oct 4, 2019
Palestine TX
Now the dealer says there are a certain number of serial numbers that have leaking heads. Dealer says Kubota doesn't know what to do about it. They still have my tractor and will not fix until Kubota tells them what to do. No telling when that will be.

dngranch

Equipment
Oct 4, 2019
Palestine TX
Just wanted to let who ever reads this in the future know. Kubota decided to replace the whole engine and didn't know when they were going to get one. I couldn't wait so decided to upgrade to M4-071deluxe. The dealer talked Kubota into buying my tractor back and let me just pay the difference on the two tractors. It has the same engine but it is not one of the serial numbers of the ones with bad head bolts. I really love the tractor so far. As I said before same engine and frontend as 7060 but with M5 cab and transmission. Deluxe has buddy seat, dual rpm settings, two remotes, wider front tires, can change from 540-540E from in cab, deluxe seat, pushbutton clutch on the shifter, nightlight and toggle 4wheel drive. I may have missed something, but really am happy with it so far. Thanks to Robert Meadows for all of his help on getting me in a working tractor.

Last edited:

Phillipm7060

Equipment
M7060
Jan 1, 2020
Clinton,tn
I have a m7060 that loses power from hyd oil overheating, only happens with John Deere bailer. Is this similar. We haven't been able to eliminate what is the problem. Bailer works fine , even with other tractors. Dealer added second svc for bailer tie. Dealer has looked at tractor multiple times and blames bailer. John Deere tested bailer to factory specs. Any help would be appreciated.

Like Tractors

Equipment
Several Kubotas
Jan 1, 2020
Eastern Iowa
Phillipm7060, did the Kubota dealer or Kubota explain how the hydraulic oil overheating reduces power? What temperature does the hydraulic oil reach when the problem occurs?

Last edited:

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I have a m7060 that loses power from hyd oil overheating, only happens with John Deere bailer. Is this similar. We haven't been able to eliminate what is the problem. Bailer works fine , even with other tractors. Dealer added second svc for bailer tie. Dealer has looked at tractor multiple times and blames bailer. John Deere tested bailer to factory specs. Any help would be appreciated.
We;come to OTT.
May I ask what model JD baler you have? I can't envision how a JD baler's hyd system could cause tractor hyd oil to heat without severely affecting bale density.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Is the baker set up for Closed Center Hydraulics or Open Center? If it is setup up wrong for your tractor it will cause a lot of problems.

Phillipm7060

Equipment
M7060
Jan 1, 2020
Clinton,tn
Thanks for the greeting to OTT. The baler is a JD 456 4 wide max 5 tall. I'm not sure how to tell on the open or close center question. I understand hydraulics and am a industrial maintenance tech. But not sure how to find info for bailer. If you can talk me through the process I may have the info an just don't realize it.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Is the baker set up for Closed Center Hydraulics or Open Center? If it is setup up wrong for your tractor it will cause a lot of problems.
JD rd baler will operate the same with closed or open center hyd tractor. I've baled hay with my JD 467 baler being powered by my JD 4255(closed center hyd's) & my Kubota M7040(open center hyd's) without changing anything on the baler.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Thanks for the greeting to OTT. The baler is a JD 456 4 wide max 5 tall. I'm not sure how to tell on the open or close center question. I understand hydraulics and am a industrial maintenance tech. But not sure how to find info for bailer. If you can talk me through the process I may have the info an just don't realize it.
IMHO JD rd baler hyd's has no affect on tractor operation whether tractor is closed or open center hyd's.

Phillipm7060

Equipment
M7060
Jan 1, 2020
Clinton,tn
After 45 minutes, maybe 8 bales. I can watch the pto speed decrease very slightly on level ground, the cylinders for the baler open/close begin getting hot. After 3 hrs ive had to downshift twice and the cylinders are too hot to touch. I am very happy with this tractor. Bush hogs well. Shuttles hay bales good. Any help will be appreciated.