RTV 500 Low Torque in High

L185 Owner

Sep 19, 2016
Savannah Ga
I am experiencing noticeably low torque with my RTV 500. I am hoping folk can give a little help on what it could be.

A little background on the unit. I bought it with around 625 Hours on it. It was not running at the time and was a project machine. I got it running, did a full fluids and filter change and it has been running ever since. It has been a solid unit and I haven’t had any issues to speak on with it. It has about 890 hours on it now. Here lately, it seems like it is getting less powerful in high range both at takeoff and when trying to drive through “tough material” like loose sand or thick sand.
For example, I took it out a few weeks ago. We have lots of dirt roads in our area and some of them have stretches that have deep sand that is loose – almost like a dry beach sand. I noticed while trying to drive through that material it slows down and it doesn’t really like to push through it. Maybe 10mph. It’s a high RPM and low speed……but it just doesn’t like to push through it. If I keep holding the throttle to the floor it will generate heat and it will want to overheat. So, I let off, baby it through, and keep going. I also noticed if I drive a round for a round 10-15 minutes and stop, when I go to take off again, most times it is slow to accelerate when you start again. There aren’t a lot of issues in obtaining the top end speed, as long as you have 40 yards to accelerate and are on asphalt or concrete.
So – I have already ordered a filter kit for it. I will change all the oils, filters and spark plugs of a 250 hr service. That may solve it. But……if it doesn’t any idea on what I need to do? Do they get that temperamental around service time? I hear people talking adjusting a servo on these units. I don’t want to “tune” the unit outside of factory spec. I would just like better acceleration and torque, and I feel like I had it once upon a time. Just an FYI – when I let off the gas, I get a good 6-10 feet of smooth rolling to a stop. No issues in Low range. Slower speed, but better torque.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
If you have put 265 hours on the filters, the fuel filter could be your problem. fuel starvation would cause your problem. 265 hours are not a lot but it depends on how clean the fuel stays when fueling. That machine probably has 2 fuel filters. Could it be that you missed one when you changed them? New air and fuel filters never hurt.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
yeah they are really sensitive to fluid. Super UDT only. Regular UDT makes them very very sluggish at cold fluid temperatures. I say "sluggish", when you mash the pedal it almost kills the engine. Super UDT isn't nearly as bad but you still will always notice the temp of the fluid and how it changes the characteristics of the HST. This is considered normal.

If fluid/filters don't help, check your cable adjustments. Still no help? Grab your digital pressure gauge and check the charge pump pressure.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
If you have put 265 hours on the filters, the fuel filter could be your problem. fuel starvation would cause your problem. 265 hours are not a lot but it depends on how clean the fuel stays when fueling. That machine probably has 2 fuel filters. Could it be that you missed one when you changed them? New air and fuel filters never hurt.
The RTV500 does not have a fuel filter, only a sock over the pickup in the tank.

L185 Owner

Sep 19, 2016
Savannah Ga
Correct - I don't believe it has an external fuel filter - ie one that cant be easily changed. I don't think it is a fuel issue as there is no issue reaching rpm..running smooth...or nothing present in other transmission setting.

I'll change all the filters and see what happens. I picked everything up from the dealer. If that doesn't solve it I'll be back to ask how to check transmission pressures and other troubleshooting ideas.