Need some information on Rotary Cutter and Box Blade please

N7HEVN

Equipment
MX5200, RCR2672, BB1572
Sep 12, 2019
Carrollton TX USA
Hi all.
Am new to the forum, just joined this week, and have the following equipment on-order, hopeful to take possession next weekend, and this is my first tractor.

Will be receiving an MX5200 HST, with -
Land Pride, Rotary Cutter, RCR2672
Land Pride, Box Blade, BB1572
Land Pride, Quick Hitch, QH15

I know that the MX5200, is a Category 2 rated 3-point

As I'll be using this in Oklahoma, where there are rocks, and rocks, and more rocks, my dealer recommends the RCR2672, being a more robust cutter; due to the fact that I'll still be doing some clearing of brush, etc, and inevitably will be hitting uncovered rocks...
The dilemma that I feel is at my feet, is that this RCR2672 is over 1000 pounds, and I'm not confident that the QH15 is strong enough for it....
Does anyone have experience in this area, or agree, and I should be using the QH20 ?

In that same context, I think the BB1572 is a bit weak as well for this MX5200 and Category 2 setup, with the QH15...
Should I be jumping up to the BB2572, and the QH20..?

Appreciate all your knowledge, this is 100% brand new stuff for me, and all this stuff that has to last 20 years... I don't need to go breaking my brand new stuff, and would super-appreciate the validation from folks who have real-world application-use here!

Thanks

m.t.hands

Equipment
L 5030, L 3400 and BX2200
Jul 26, 2015
NE Bama
Hi all.
Am new to the forum, just joined this week, and have the following equipment on-order, hopeful to take possession next weekend, and this is my first tractor.

Will be receiving an MX5200 HST, with -
Land Pride, Rotary Cutter, RCR2672
Land Pride, Box Blade, BB1572
Land Pride, Quick Hitch, QH15

I know that the MX5200, is a Category 2 rated 3-point

As I'll be using this in Oklahoma, where there are rocks, and rocks, and more rocks, my dealer recommends the RCR2672, being a more robust cutter; due to the fact that I'll still be doing some clearing of brush, etc, and inevitably will be hitting uncovered rocks...
The dilemma that I feel is at my feet, is that this RCR2672 is over 1000 pounds, and I'm not confident that the QH15 is strong enough for it....
Does anyone have experience in this area, or agree, and I should be using the QH20 ?

In that same context, I think the BB1572 is a bit weak as well for this MX5200 and Category 2 setup, with the QH15...
Should I be jumping up to the BB2572, and the QH20..?

Appreciate all your knowledge, this is 100% brand new stuff for me, and all this stuff that has to last 20 years... I don't need to go breaking my brand new stuff, and would super-appreciate the validation from folks who have real-world application-use here!

Thanks
i have a QH15 but running a Rhino cutter that is just under 1k pounds, and i thought mine was rated for 2k???:confused: it has held up fine, and BTW welcome to the forum, i'm kinda new here also, long time lurker, but just recently started posting:eek::)

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Well.....
The QH15 is a category one hitch.
You have a category 2 3 point.
The QH15 will work fine but just know that there are heavier quick hitches available. The QH15 has a 2000# capacity, which in my opinion, and obviously in the dealers is more than enough for your usage.
Perhaps if you were using this machine for construction work he would have suggested a heavier hitch and/or rotary cutter.
I am thinking you need neither.
But the dealers are always ready to take more money from you....and you don't even have to ask.

Last edited:

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Measure carefully the distance between pins on the mounts for your anticipated rotarary cutter and box blade. Then measure the spacing on the quick hitch. I have a wimpy little L2501 with its Category 1 hitch. The spacing on my cutter is about 28" (not Land Pride) while the spacing on my box blade is about 20" (also not Land Pride). There is no way the Land Pride QH would work for me. I went with Pat's QH which gives me the versatility I need for different spacing. I'm not saying Pat's is better in any way. I am saying pay attention to dimensions. It's enough hassle to fight with Category 1. I'd SURE hate to pick a fight with category 2.

N7HEVN

Equipment
MX5200, RCR2672, BB1572
Sep 12, 2019
Carrollton TX USA
Thank you for the all the quick information / replies.

Regarding the weight capacity of the QH15, that is something that I did overlook. It does appease my concerns somewhat, that the QH15 should be able to handle the big rotary cutter.

I was not concerned with the aspect of taking measurements, and making sure everything lined up / worked together, since I'm sticking with all-Kubota stuff. All of this should be lined up to work together, already.
I had assumed it would be common-knowledge on the site here, that Land Pride is owned by Kubota, so if they're selling items that are not "matched up already", that sure would be some very bad engineering, and marketing...

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma

Same quick hitch your looking at. The blade in the picture is running a bit over 1000 lbs since its been modified. A lot of the weight and strain on the system is quite a ways back from the quick hitch and I regularly run it off to the side doing grade work near buildings and what not. This just increases the strain. The rippers add a bit more, especially in gravel and hitting the occasional rock, all at slow speeds of course. Similar with box blade work and brush hog work.
This is only a 35 horsepower tractor. So far with extensive use no problems other than breaking a few tips of the rippers.

P.S. your point about the all Kubota parts and fits should be accurate. However personnel in the dealerships can make mistakes that you get to pay for. Never hurts to do some basic checking. Pretty much as your doing with this post.

Last edited:

Sparky73

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2018 B2650HSD
Apr 28, 2018
WA
If you're clearing an area that's never been mowed, float your FEL with the bucket pointed up. This will alert you to most of the obstacles that will be an issue with your brush hog. I've found a few rocks and stumps this way.

N7HEVN

Equipment
MX5200, RCR2672, BB1572
Sep 12, 2019
Carrollton TX USA
Sparky, thanks for the tip.
I've seen recommendations as well, to back the cutter in, rather than going forward with the tractor, and potentially running things over / hitting or dragging the undercarriage of the tractor.
The FEL was something which I had seen as a recommendation as well, to see if something 'bumps'.

N7HEVN

Equipment
MX5200, RCR2672, BB1572
Sep 12, 2019
Carrollton TX USA
Everything got delivered over the weekend, and it's been awesome.
Have not used the Box Blade yet, but have gone to town with the Rotary Cutter.
This RCR2672 cutter is a monster! If you can justify the extra expense of this 'Medium-Duty', over the 'Light-Duty' 18 Series, go for the 26!