M7040 DT Hydraulics

Matt1976

Sep 11, 2019
inez texas
FEL has no power. Barely will come off the ground at WOP. I did check the pressure at the rear remote port its showing 2000 psi. Can someone help me with further troubleshooting my issue?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Your tractor has two pressure relief valves.

The loader valve has its own. The loader valve feeds the rear of the tractor thru a power beyond port on the loader valve.

If the loader valve's relief valve is off, it will restrict the pressure you see at a rear remote.

However, providing more history would help.
Did this condition develop suddenly?

Did you have any hoses disconnected from the loader valve?

How many rear remotes do you have?

Are you certain that a rear remote's lever is not partially on?

Dave

Matt1976

Sep 11, 2019
inez texas
It blew the hose coming from the pump to the FEL control valve. Changed the hose and has not been the same since. Changed the hose again thinking it may had been restricted or faulty. Still the same. Checked all the cylinders to ensure none were bypassing internally. Lead myself to believe it could be the the control valve itself. Ordered a new one. Installed it. Still the same. Adjusted the relief on the loader valve. No change there. It has a single rear remote. It is not partially on. Lift arms work but are weak as well. Engine needs to idled up to lift the arms.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Welcome to OTT
How many hrs has tractor been operated since hyd filters were changed? Is 3 pt fully raised & 3 pt relief valve open due to incorrect setting of feedback rod?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
It blew the hose coming from the pump to the FEL control valve. Changed the hose and has not been the same since. Changed the hose again thinking it may had been restricted or faulty. Still the same. Checked all the cylinders to ensure none were bypassing internally. Lead myself to believe it could be the the control valve itself. Ordered a new one. Installed it. Still the same. Adjusted the relief on the loader valve. No change there. It has a single rear remote. It is not partially on. Lift arms work but are weak as well. Engine needs to idled up to lift the arms.
Is it possible, after the hose blew, that you removed more than one hose from the loader valve?

Your symptoms sure sound like a hose is in the wrong place on the loader valve.

Dave

Matt1976

Sep 11, 2019
inez texas
Filters and oil was changed at the same time I changed the loader valve. Not even an hour since. Only been running while trying to fix this thing. Hoses are not swapped to the best of my knowledge. 3 pnt was all in working condition. Is there a plumbing diagram available anywhere?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Did it blow the hose from wear or did it just burst a good hose?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Filters and oil was changed at the same time I changed the loader valve. Not even an hour since. Only been running while trying to fix this thing. Hoses are not swapped to the best of my knowledge. 3 pnt was all in working condition. Is there a plumbing diagram available anywhere?
The following are from the FEL WSM

Dave

Attachments

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
FEL has no power. Barely will come off the ground at WOP. I did check the pressure at the rear remote port its showing 2000 psi. Can someone help me with further troubleshooting my issue?
I'll almost bet that the hoses from the pump to the loader valve are installed wrong causing the pump to be deadheaded. This is what caused the hose to blow and likely has now damaged the pump. This is very easy to do unfortunately, and isn't readily apparent, I did it one myself on a new tractor. The tractor worked good for a few weeks until the owner actually stressed it by running it all the way to the top. see attached page from assembly manual

Attachments

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I'll almost bet that the hoses from the pump to the loader valve are installed wrong causing the pump to be deadheaded. This is what caused the hose to blow and likely has now damaged the pump. This is very easy to do unfortunately, and isn't readily apparent, I did it one myself on a new tractor. The tractor worked good for a few weeks until the owner actually stressed it by running it all the way to the top. see attached page from assembly manual
And this one

Attachments

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
good! ( or just buy a new one and try it)
esery
May I ask what you're suggesting to replace?

Back when I served as a dealer service manager I was taught one should perform "good diagnostic's" before replacing any parts. My guess is a relief valve isn't seated correctly.
Thanks,Jim

Last edited:

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
esery
May I ask what you're suggesting to replace?

Back when I served as a dealer service manager I was taught one should perform "good diagnostic's" before replacing any parts. My guess is a relief valve isn't seated correctly.
Thanks,Jim
I certainly agree that the pump should be properly tested rather than just replaced. But I doubt the owner is in possession of a flow-meter to test it with. He has already replaced the loader control valve which contains the relief valve so that almost eliminates the relief valve from being the problem. The symptoms are typical of a failed pump so if the customer is not wanting to take it to a mechanic for proper diagnosis then pump replacement is the other option. If the pump IS the problem he will have saved himself a few hundred dollars . I would never just replace a pump in the shop but from a customer perspective it is a little different situation.