"Easy Checker" repair

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Bought my M4700DT used from a guy in Buda, Tx. He was the second owner, the first owner bought it from the Baytown, Tx Kubota dealer when it was new in July 1996 (that info obtained from the selling dealer.)
While it is low-time (less than 500 hrs...hard to understand why a tractor that's 22 years old is so low time*) it's been stored with mice apparently. I've found mouse-damaged wiring behind the instrument panel and at the headlight wiring, which I've mostly repaired.
But the alternator also only put out 11 volts so I installed a new alternator which fixed that problem.
The manual states that the "Easy Checker" will indicate the Fuel Level and the Oil Pressure lamps will illuminate if there's an electrical problem ...or whenever the key is first turned on. I've not operated it sufficiently low on fuel to know if the low fuel level light will illuminate or not... so I don't know yet if the lamp even works.... as it certainly does not illuminate when the key is first turned on before starting.... or I'd have known during purchase there was an alternator/electrical problem before I paid the man for it. (The temp guage also didn't work but during the prepurchase inspection it was never operated long enough to warrant a temp increase that would have caused the gauge to be suspect. For obvious reasons the seller did not reveal those problems when I came to look at it and I was too excited to see a 22 yr old tractor that first appeared so clean and could be mine all mine. Please don't tell anyone I teach aircraft maintenance.) :eek:
Anyway... I blew it during pre-buy inspection on a few items...Heh?

* The low time is apparently correct by all indications. The tires are original per date and excellent tread, and the low-voltage alternator has full-length brushes by comparison to Kubota specifications. (The internal regulator was the problem...perhaps related to the same mice-damaged wiring. A replacement regulator was inexpensive ($18) and now I have a spare alternator.)

I'm awaiting a low fuel level to see if that portion of the Fuel Level in the Easy Checker works. Any commentary or advice is appreciated.

Last edited:

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
Sometimes you just need to go with your gut. My L245dt photographed terribly in the ad, and I looked at several other tractors before I reluctantly went to check it out because the others photographed well, but were junk. After I drove it and checked everything over it was apparent that some dented sheetmetal and a couple seasons in the rain hid a decent machine, so I bought it. With the L225 it was a battery and some minor repairs that put off the buyers who want "Like New" for "Well Used" price, so I got a "Well Kept, but needs some love" for a good price.

shiraz627

Equipment
BX23S Piranha toothbar, Underarmor, PFL1242 pallet forks, BXpanded thumb, ripper
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
When your looking at something your never going to catch everything. Last spring I went to look at a Honda FRC800 tiller. The machine looked pretty good but I did note that the seller was using some vise grips to create the proper tension for the engagement lever. I figured maybe it just needed to be adjusted, so I bought the machine for a good price. Once I went though the machine I determined the cable needed to be replaced. Ouch $50. Discovered the transmission was a couple qts. low on oil(it holds 5qts.). Replaced the air filter, spark plug and engine oil, then parked it in the shed. Came out one day and saw a puddle of oil under it, upon investigation I determined the oil seals for the tine shaft were leaking and ordered replacements. Another $50 plus 5qts of oil. I ended up spending $150 on the machine. I think I came out OK since I bought a $2500 tiller for $1100.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Geo,

Where are you in Texas? I live in the Austin area close to Buda, and I was born in Baytown. I also think my cousin works at the Baytown Kubota dealer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If the easychecker light does not come on when you first turn the key on without it running, you do have a burned out bulb as it should light, oil pressure will light too, PTO will only light if engaged. ;)

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Geo,

Where are you in Texas? I live in the Austin area close to Buda, and I was born in Baytown. I also think my cousin works at the Baytown Kubota dealer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Check your PM.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I would ask the seller when he filled it up. If that fuel has been sitting there for months on end, I'd drain the tank t inspect it for debris, check the filters, and would instantly have a low fuel situation to see if the light works. If it's fresh fuel, I wouldn't bother doing all that. Good luck. Once you get everything sorted out you'll have a great low hour machine on your hands.