L210 Glow Plug Resistor

Birddog25

Mar 27, 2017
Defiance, Ohio
Howdy,

I acquired a L210 that is worth messing around with. I started it had it running and everything was great as long as the battery was charged. I started looking at the electrical system and noticed there was no glow plug resistor. Then looked further and found issues with the front glow plug. I assume they are related. I have begun the search for this glow plug resistor with no luck! The Kubota dealer says they don't make them anymore. My question for you vintage L210 fans is what can I use to replace it with?

Help would be greatly appreciated!

L4740

Nov 23, 2009
3rd Rock From The Sun
I can tell you that it is just a coil of wire. I can send you a picture if need be. I would have to guess at the gauge of the wire, but I can come close. I could count the number of coils and I'm guessing we could get close to the correct resistance.

Attachments

Last edited:

Birddog25

Mar 27, 2017
Defiance, Ohio
Thanks for the quick reply! I have seen pictures of you L210 and your hard work has been rewarded!!! It is very nice! If you could that would be awesome!

Thanks!! do you think I could use the coil in a regulator?

I appreciate your help L4740!

L4740

Nov 23, 2009
3rd Rock From The Sun
I don't know about a regulator. I guess it would determine on the overall resistance of it and the gauge of the wire. But if you can just put it back to original, why not? From what I can remember, it is at least a 10 gauge wire coil. I should be able to a wire stripper around the wire to determine what gauge it is. Then I can count the number of turns and the diameter of them. That should get you what you need. I'm assuming that it is copper wire, but I'll put a magnet on it to check for sure. Give me awhile to get back to you.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

L4740

Nov 23, 2009
3rd Rock From The Sun
D2Cat that part is the glow plug indicator that is located up on the dash. I believe the part birddog is talking about is the heavy coil resistor that is mounted to the frame of the tractor just in front of the steering column. At least that's what I think he is talking about. I will add some pictures of it later this morning.

Last edited:

L4740

Nov 23, 2009
3rd Rock From The Sun
Birddog, is this the resistor you are referring too, or are you talking about the glow plug indicator on the dash that D2Cat mentioned above?
If this is what you are looking for it may well no longer be available. But it looks like it would fairly simple to make if you are just missing the coil. If you are missing the entire assembly then it would be a little harder to manufacture. A magnet does not stick to the coil so I am assuming it is copper. (But that may be a bad assumption.) To me it looks like a 10 or 12 gauge bare wire. To make one I would take the wire and wrap in 8 times around a 5/8" dowel rod then remove the dowel and bend a right angle on each end of the wire. Make sure the coils don't touch each other. Then install it in the holder. I hope this helps.

Attachments

Last edited:

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
I've never seen this type of design before prompting an internet search. There are a number of discussions showing how people fixed other tractors to use a "quick heat" glow plug without resistor and other articles on how to fix the resistor.

Here is one about the GP conversion and resistor fix. Perhaps this will spur further ideas...

http://www.soggers.ca/tractor/glow_plug_info/glow_plugs.html

Perhaps something like this would work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bearmach-Land-Rover-Series-2a-3-2-25-Diesel-Glow-Plug-Ballast-Resistor-BR1556-/222424636557?hash=item33c98a9c8d:g:HVwAAOSwWxNYtWqm

Good luck!

Last edited:

Birddog25

Mar 27, 2017
Defiance, Ohio
Thanks L4740!! That is what I needed! Now for the construction. Unfortunately I need the whole thing! I think I need to go to the drawing board.

Last edited:

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Good luck with your fix!

When complete, please post your solution.

Birddog25

Mar 27, 2017
Defiance, Ohio
So after much searching and trying to make the resistor and trying to find a glow plug, I decided to convert to pencil style glow plugs and run them with a Ford Solenoid. I have to say that was a chore, but it worked great! It pops off a heck of a lot easier. I know it's not original but I had to get it going.

jwage

Equipment
Kubota L210, Kubota ZD21
Jul 16, 2017
Bethpage
I just bought a L210 and the wires to the glow plug resistor coil had broken off. The bolt, nuts and washers were all rusted together and they broke when trying to get them loose. Can I just rebuild it with new bolt, nuts and washers? Anything special about it? One thing I noticed when taking it apart was the bottom most washer touching the mount was not metal. Is that important or is a metal washer ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The resistor coil needs to be isolated from the mounting block and each end of the resistor needs to be isolated from the other

I expect as a safety/short circuit and fire consideration, the entire mount was also installed so as to not be grounded to the tractor frame so that should the resistor wire break and touch the metal frame you would not have a major problem

The original washers are insulators so metal ones will not work.

An appliance repair place may have heat resistant stuff you could use such as parts for a dryer electric heating element. You need a ceramic part or other high temp insulating material.
This ebay link is just to show you how a normal electrical wire connector, sold at Home Depot every day, is made from ceramic material to connect the wiring under an electric stove top so home appliance repair guys have solutions to problems like yours..

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/VINTAGE-STOV...595915?hash=item238a352c4b:g:WeEAAOSwTf9ZVptF
Dave M7040

Last edited:

jwage

Equipment
Kubota L210, Kubota ZD21
Jul 16, 2017
Bethpage
Dave, you are the man! That is what I suspected when I took it apart and noticed the different type of washers. I will go looking for the right type of washers and get it rebuilt and I'll post pics when glow plugs are hopefully working :)

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
You need to have a way that prevents the metal frame from touching the mounting bolt.

Google "Shoulder washer" and you will see what looks like a small washer fused to a larger washer.

The small part comes through the hole in the mounting bracket so if the bracket should move it cannot have metal to metal contact with the mounting bolts while the larger area keeps the mounting bracket away from the tractor frame.

Dave M7040

jwage

Equipment
Kubota L210, Kubota ZD21
Jul 16, 2017
Bethpage
Thanks. That makes total sense. I was starting to ask myself questions about how the bolt would avoid contact with the metal when going through the hole.

jwage

Equipment
Kubota L210, Kubota ZD21
Jul 16, 2017
Bethpage
Do you think lowes or a local hardware store would have ceramic washers and shoulder washers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
I do not think so. Perhaps if they have repair elements for electric clothes dryers but I don't see them being a high volume sales item.

Stove element sockets are often ceramic but It would be a lot of work to alter one of those to help you with your issue.

Perhaps an electrician who worked in an industrial environment but even the average home electrician is not using those items

Dave M7040