Kubota Tractors with V1902

pea42

Dec 7, 2015
mobile, alabama
I have 1982 v1902 kubota engine and am looking to find out what Kubota tractor models used this v1902 engine. The engine is actually in a boat I have and when I go to kubota dealer for parts, the first thing they ask for is the tractor model number and I have no idea what to tell them.

The SN of the engine is V1902-2679

Back in 1982, when the engine was installed in the boat, it was branded as a Universal Diesel M-50 (aka 5444). Universal is now owned by Westerbeke and they want way too much for parts.

Also, based on the little info I have here, what's ya'lls guess on if it's a v1902 or v190DI?

Does anyone know what kubota tractor model number I should tell the Kubota dealer?

Thanks
Craig

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
This engine was also used in a New Holland L 553 skid steer. Look for after market parts on the net as there are many places cheaper than dealer prices for OEM parts

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Is it an V1902IDI (indirect injection) Fat short injectors
Or a V1902DI (direct injection) slim pencil injectors

The made both models, based just on the year you say it is it's probably IDI.

Take a picture of the top of the engine and I can tell you.

OK now for the bad news, a V1902IDI is not the same as a V1902DI, and if it's a V1902IDI, it was never used in a tractor, only other equipment.

Some parts cross some don't, what do you need? Or what is wrong with it?

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
The direct-injected V1902 was used in several Kubota tractor models. I have one in my L3250 and my neighbor's L3450 has one too. According to TractorData.com the V1902 was used in the L3350 and L3650 as well. Also in my son's Thomas skid-steer T133 and in Bobcat 743's.

Last edited:

pea42

Dec 7, 2015
mobile, alabama
Thanks,

Here are some pictures

There is nothing wrong with the engine, except for 1) very slow air leak into fuel lines, 2) one wet injector (wet on outside), 3) rusted high pressure pipes between injector pump and injectors, and leaking bleeder valve on the injector pump.

I've been able to find parts at kubota for the bleeder valve, high pressure pipes, and injectors. Once I put the fuel lines and pipes back together, I'll test again for the air leak.

The engine runs fine, starts quick and doesn't smoke much.

It's been in a boat in saltwater environment for over 30 years (i bought it about 3 years ago) and there is a lot of rust in places. I'm just going through it to make sure it's in good shape.

Also, I want to get some spares like the starter and water pump.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
On my engine which is a 1902 B the injector looks like the one you have. I had mine checked this spring and one was bad. The parts cost more than an after market injector . New injector cost me around 65.00. Is your water pump a pump for a marine type engine or is lt one like is used on the tractors. If it is you can get them on e bay for around 100.00. Last I checked when I needed one NH wanted around 400.00 for it. I think you can a starter on ebay also. I had mine rebuilt for around 60.00 with a new motor on it.

pea42

Dec 7, 2015
mobile, alabama
Wolfman,

Thanks for clarifying that it is an IDI. If the V1902 IDI was never used in any tractor, do you know which Kubota non-tractor equipment used this engine so I can tell the Kubota dealer which "tractor model" to look under?

I found a thread on here that has a pdf listing tractor models and engine codes.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6489&highlight=v1902

From this chart and your info, it looks like the following models have the v1902IDI. I looked at the parts diagrams of these model on the parts diagrams from kubota (http://kubota.com/part/partsList.aspx#), the R400 seems to be the closest match. Of course, my eye-ball scan of the parts list is very limited and I might be seeing just common parts, but not the whole picture.

KH101
KH151
KX101
KX151
R400
R410

Thanks again for your help.

Ike,

Regarding your question about the water pump, the engine has two water pumps. One is the one on the front of the engine, part# 15521-73030; that circulates the fresh water/coolant through out the engine, as well as into and out of the heat exchanger.

The other water pump is an orberdorfer N202M-07, which circulates sea water for the below-the-waterline through hull to the heat exchanger, then into the water lift (search google images for "water lift exhaust"), where it combines with the exhaust gases and exits the boat through a through-hull above the waterline. The heat exchanger is fastened at the after end of the motor, above the area of the flywheel.

The oberdorfer is mounted to the forward end of the engine the left of the freshwater pump. It's coupled to the engine with a shaft the looks like it's the end of the fuel camshaft. Attached are two pictured of where the oberdorfer is mounted.

The only other major modification to marinize the engine is the exhaust manifold. This is cast iron jacket in which fresh water coolant jackets the exhaust gases to take away some of heat before the gasses reach the water lift. That way, the gases and raw water can be carried to the exterior though a hose without risk of melting the exhaust hose.

There are several other modifications, like the air intake, there was no filter on the marinized version, just some kind of flattened bell housing. I replaced that with a K & N filter. The thermostat cover also looks different from what I find in the kubota diagrams.

Thanks again for your help and the links. I really appreciate it.
Craig

Attachments

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
....The oberdorfer is mounted to the forward end of the engine the left of the freshwater pump. It's coupled to the engine with a shaft the looks like it's the end of the fuel camshaft. Attached are two pictured of where the oberdorfer is mounted.....
Where this oberdorfer pump is attached is where Kubota drives the mechanical Tach/hour meter in other applications. Least that is what lies there on the Tractors. Think it is like you say... off the fuel camshaft.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
pea42,
Yea I would go with the R400 if you want Kubota parts.

pea42

Dec 7, 2015
mobile, alabama
I want to tank everyone for your help. With the correct tractor model number, I was able to walk into Kubota dealer, get the parts I need and get on home to install them. Of course, they fit perfectly. Sooooo much better than the outrageous prices from the 'marine' vendors for the same engine!!!!

$20 vs $60 for high pressure pipes
$60 vs $380 for injectors!
~$650 vs ~1800 for 15461-51010 injection pump

I'm really glad everyone here helped me nail down this tractor model.

Thanks again ya'll have a good weekend.

LeTempt

Equipment
Kubota powered generator
Feb 6, 2022
Midland City, AL
I know this is kind of an old post, but I have a similar question about a V1902 I have in a 15KW Power Technology generator that apparently was originally in a blood mobile. I cannot find a data plate, but the stamp in the block at the injector pump says V1902-91479. Can you help me figure out what kind of engine this is and what kind of equipment it would have been installed?

Thank you.

Jeff

unnamed.jpg