Synthetic Oil

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
Not a question of if but when. Brand new BX2370-1 (0.5 hours). I will change the factory engine oil at 5 hours. Okay to run synthetic at that point or wait until the 50 hour interval? Just curious what the forum thinks. The pictures aren't very good, it was delivered late one evening and I had go out of town early the next morning. Thanks, Ed B

Last edited:

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
The abridged answer to a 5 hour oil change is that twice in the last 10 years I replaced fluids early and found contaminants. Peace of mind. Is there any reason not to change the engine oil to synthetic at 5 hours?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Won't hurt anything to change it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L3010HST

Equipment
L3010HST w/LA481 loader; Land Pride RB2672 Blade and RF2060 Rotary
Apr 29, 2013
PNW
My .02: Just change the oil filter being that's where all the assembly shavings and crud is trapped and then top off with factory fill. Changing oil too soon could affect the break-in of your rings, etc. imo. Many factory fill oils in general can different to what you buy in the store.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Used to be that synthetic would prevent proper break in. In cars it was reccomended after 30,000 km's
Now some come off the line with synthetic.

Biotex

Equipment
B7800 HST
Nov 11, 2015
Alpine, TX
I agree with ToolJunkie. The factory uses full synthetic off the line on most engines these days. I pesonally haven't heard of any break-in issues with the newer blends.

I see no reaso not to change it at 5 hours. A bit overkill, but better safe than sorry huh!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I'm with Tooljunkie and Biotex - -

Anytime is fine.

Initial service is often debated here. I'm with you - sooner is better than later.:)

Good luck with the new machine!!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Look if it comes from the factory, in a Vett ,Porsche ,or Viper its plenty good enough for my bouta, yeah first change I went sync, dont know if it made much of a difference but I use it in the HD so I figured what the heck

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
Thanks. The general consensus falls in line with my thoughts. My 2006 diesel car came with synthetic as did the wife's 2015 truck. So it looks like that will be the road traveled. Ed B

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Another point, a local fleet vehicle agency reqires first oil change on new vehicles at 500 km's. They track every maintenance dollar, and major engine repairs are dramatically reduced. They save money in the end.

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
Another point, a local fleet vehicle agency reqires first oil change on new vehicles at 500 km's. They track every maintenance dollar, and major engine repairs are dramatically reduced. They save money in the end.
I am pretty rigid with my maintenance because of industrial experience. Right now I am sitting on top of 6 - 16 cylinder diesel engine making 7.6 megawatts each and 6 - 6700 HP Rolls Royce thrusters. No flexibility in oil change interval!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
reqires first oil change on new vehicles at 500 km's. They save money in the end.
Frank - great point.

I've been fortunate to buy 5 new Chevy 1500 pickups in the last 18 years.

Last one came with FREE "Scheduled Maintenance" for 2 years. That means FIRST oil change/tire rotation at 7,500 miles, and every 7,500 thereafter.

The truck warranty needs DEXOS certified oil, which is a synthetic-blend. Not all syn-blends are DEXOS certified. Full synthetics are, for the most part.

Haven't used any of it.......

I usually do 1-2,000 miles for the first oil change. Since, been using Oil Life Monitor for changes with full synthetic - go to about 30%, or 4,000 miles, give or take.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Right now I am sitting on top of 6 - 16 cylinder diesel engine making 7.6 megawatts each and 6 - 6700 HP Rolls Royce thrusters.
Dayum, Eddie - must be noisey where you are!!!:p:p

Frank Peters

Equipment
Mower Bx 2360
Jul 27, 2012
Moe Victoria Australia
Hi All,
In most cases sticking with factory recommended oil change guarantee a good outcome. Most common brand of oils are very high quality these days and you don't achieve much by swapping to synthetic in the early life of the engine. And for you general information do you really know what synthetic oil is? It is a mineral oil refine to take all the bad stuff out and additives put in. It is not a religion. I would never put synthetic oil in before the parts are properly bed in. Horses for causes. Regards Frank

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
For the record ............

there is absolutely no proof that using synthetic oil before the ol' break in period will not allow the engine parts to meld together.......

another absolutely completely frabricated lie that was made up by the people or persons that were selling conventional oil.....

synthetic oils are not magical .....they are not "slicker" - they do not run around faster in the oil pump.....

simply put - it does a better job of lubricating the moving parts.....and maybe more importantly , lasts long BEFORE is loses the effects of lubricating moving parts.

it gets dirty just like regular oil, and flows ( well ....debate here) like regular oil.....

you can start with it, change it to dino oil, change back to synthetic......blah blah blah....

it cost more cause it helps more and lasts longer .......

I drove 475 miles today to buy a gun .....my GMC truck (yessss....running synthetic oil) thanked me all the way there and back!;)

wv bc owner

Jul 26, 2015
US
I had a car that I bought used that was running castoral brand synthetic oil when I bought it . I used the same oil the next time I changed it started noticing that it would go a quart low at around 2000 miles. Talked to a friend that happened to be a Ford mechanic he told me to change back to conventional oil and it would quit using oil. I did the next change and sure enough the car would make the full 3000 miles and not use a drop. Still didn't use any oil when I got rid of it. (Car was a 1991 Ford probe 3.0 l v6)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Use what you want, if it makes you feel better.

IMHO, I see no benefit in "synthetic" oils...aside from making the parts store clerks a little happier.

Most shelf synthetics are not "full" synthetic....I don't feel like typing out the class I took on this stuff. IF they were, they wouldn't "last" very long.

Yamaha (yamalube) has a high grade FULL synthetic (base stock #5), and it produced some nice numbers in the YZF-M1 road race bike. About 8 more hp than regular 10w50 semi-syn that they had been using. Problem is, after a few laps and an oil dump, the stuff was SHOT (lab tested). Was explained to me that it is considered normal for that high grade of engine lubricant to "wear out" quicker than "regular" synthetic. Keep in mind, we were talking about 16,000 RPM inline 4 cylinder bike engines. Not a 3000 RPM Kubota diesel....

Greenhead

Equipment
L4400, MX5100
Oct 13, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI
Well here is my 2 cents. Why do you think your oil (any type) is better than the Kubota break-in oil they put in there? There are additives that were either added or the parts were coated with at assembly. They are kind of important. I would think Kubota knows how to break-in their motors. If you must, replace the filter and add and wait to change to Syn. I use Amsoil.

Last edited: