UDT2 Trans fluid - how to pump it

forceten

Equipment
BX 25d
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
So doing my 50 hour service..... also gonna try the UDT2 even though people are telling my kubota already came with udt2 in it. Worth a bit of money to try to quiet the whine down. Replacing the filter, cleaning the screen and replacing the fluid completely.

Got a 5 gallon bucket and 2 1/2 gallon containers, how do you guys transfer the fluid?

I might be able to pour the 2 1/2 gallon container with a funnel. But might be messy. 5 gallon bucket no way. Pump? siphon?

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Take the 5 gallon pail, and make sure the spout is on top, as you decant it into a smaller container(such as your 2-1/2 gallon pails). As long as you keep the spout on the top, while you are pouring, air goes in as oil comes out, and you won't have the glug glug mess...:D:D

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
When i transfer fluids to smaller containers,i use the pour from top method too. After the first few quarts i set pail on workbench and slowly roll pail as i fill smaller jug. Bench holds weight and its manageable with one hand.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I siphon mine in to most of my units, 1/4 clear vinyl hose. ;)
Little slower than pouring but a heck of a lot cleaner!:D

forceten

Equipment
BX 25d
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
Just finished doing the 50 hr service + extras. Oil and oil filter, fuel filters, trans filter, trans screen, rear trans is filled, also installed a block heater and refilled the antifreeze.

I did use the 2 1/2 gallon container and then like you guys said got the 5 gallon poured into the 2 1/2 container when it was empty and filled the rear the rest of the way. Wasn't too bad to transfer, a bit heavy on the bucket.

Doing the front in a little bit. The 2 1/2 gallon is a bit bulky also but it does pour nice when using a solid funnel. :)

Attachments

Last edited:

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
I use a diesel fuel 12V transfer pump. It pumps hydraulic fluid just fine. Some of my tractors have the hydraulic fill in an inconvenient area (L48). With the pump, it is just like filling at the gas station when pumping hydraulic fluid. No more lifting 5 gallon containers.

(Note: I did add a 30" piece of PVC pipe to the suction side to insert into the containers.)

Plus, it makes fueling a lot easier for something like a L48 with the filler pipe on top. I went hog-wild and bought an automatic shut off nozzle.

Harbor Freight makes one that works just fine. It is even cheaper if you have a 20% off coupon. Similar others can be found on eBay. They can be VERY expensive for fleet quality.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-diesel-transfer-pump-66784.html

Northern Tool has a couple of them. Here is one:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200612558_200612558

edit: DARN! Daren Todd beat me to it with the manual pump.

Last edited:

pendoreille

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2620, fel, RB1560, Piranha Tooth Bar
Jan 2, 2015
Newport, WA
If your transferring oil from a five gallon pail quite often. Then one of these bucket pumps comes in really handy :D Not too bad on the wallet either ;)

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200612566_200612566?MobileOptOut=1
Considering the purchase of a "bucket pump". There are a couple of types. With this one you remove the lid. Do these have a gasket? The other type goes on the bung. My tractor resides in my wood shop and I am wondering about cross contamination of sawdust. Do both types give you a good seal?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
On the style that replaces the lid, it has a hole in the lid to drop the nozzle in when being stored. Contaminates can enter the oil through that hole.

sawmill

Equipment
bx24 backhoe/fel, 48" Bush mower
Nov 16, 2014
ione, washington
Thanks for the info. I should probably build a dust free fluids locker.
I have one like Daren suggested. I got it from harbor freight. It works great. When not in use I cover it with an old sheet my wife gave me. It doesn't look real professional, but it keeps the dust out.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I siphon mine in to most of my units, 1/4 clear vinyl hose. ;)
Little slower than pouring but a heck of a lot cleaner!:D

Same here. Set the bucket on the fender and put the 3/4" siphon hose into the bucket, other end in the fill hole. Little air pressure in the bucket to get the siphon started and it pumps itself while I'm doing something else-like checking tire pressures or whatever. Usually takes about 7-8 minutes to siphon 5 gal like this.

forceten

Equipment
BX 25d
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
forceten - did changing to UDT2 help with the hydro whine?
Hard to tell......

My whine is down 40% right now.

But I did two things. Removed the upper rops (while kubbie is in snow blower mode) and did the UDT2

I know the ROPS removal really made the whine a lot lot better, especially with the hard cab.

But not sure if its a combo with the fluid or not. Guess I will find out when the rops go back on in the spring

davesl708

Equipment
BX2200, LA211, RCK60B-22BX, 5ft. Rototiller, Rear Blade, 4ft Drag Harrow
Feb 24, 2013
Shawnee, Kansas
I have used a hand operated oil pump. (same as I use on boat engine) Takes a little longer than electric pump but since I do not do it that often no problem.

As to whine, my BX had a very noticeable drop in the whine when I switched to SUDT2. Much smoother hydraulics too.