Crankshaft Nut - Righty Tighty Lefty Loosey?

OlTrailDog

Equipment
L345DT w/ loader backhoe
Dec 4, 2014
Bozeman, MT
I my searches I have seen nothing to indicate an L345DT crankshaft nut would be left handed. The only mention of thread direction was on a D1105E and it was right hand (CCW to loosen).

I've used a pneumatic 1/2" on the deep 46mm socket and a long breaker bar with liberal doses of PBlaster on the crankshaft nut. I can get what appears to be a little movement (unless the whole belt pulley is slipping) with a long breaker bar. But it seems like it is either getting tighter...or stripping the threads. Set up: Engine still on tractor (no access to flywheel) , in gear, brakes set, and chain vise around belt pulley. No access to fly wheel

Therefore, since the ramifications are rather expensive, to say the least, I thought I'd pause, take a deep breath, and ask about right hand/left hand just in case. What happens if I do strip the nut, i.e. new crank or can it be built up and re-threaded. How about cold chiseling to split the nut. Maybe torch it for a bit, &^%(*&&^%@#@!!!

Is it snowing where you live?

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes, it's righty tightly lefty loosey!:D
If it's not coming off splitting the nut and replacing it with a new one would be a good choice! ;)
Split the nut, remove pieces, remove pulley, chase threads, reinstall.

OlTrailDog

Equipment
L345DT w/ loader backhoe
Dec 4, 2014
Bozeman, MT
Thanks Wolfman. After some cold chiseling interspersed with an air chisel the nut finally started working loose about 3/4 the way through. It would loosen and I could take a turn with a pipe wrench until I felt too much resistance...chisel...loosen..turn...and so forth. It is now officially off. Hallelujah!

There was some cross threading evident. So chasing will be a necessity. Anyone have any idea on the die size? Measuring with vernier callipers it appears to be a 30mm shaft and I assuming 1.25 pitch.

Looks like Monday will be time to crack the case and check the timing marks.....fingers crossed....Oh please, please, please let that be the problem.