Help: BX25D leaking at bottom of rear PTO shaft housing

Tuckerdog11

Equipment
2014 BX25DLB-R Land Pride RCR1548 Rotary Cutter
Apr 9, 2014
Jefferson Oregon USA
I have a 2014 BX25D, it is leaking about 1 drop a day of hydraulic fluid a day from the bottom of rear PTO shaft housing, the same housing that the PTO guard mounts to. Yes it's under warranty and yes I took it to the dealer, when they returned it to me two weeks later and said they "went over it with a fine tooth comb" and could not find any leaks I knew then we were no where close to the same page. Bottom line I either have to take it to another city many miles from us and rent a trailer or figure it out myself and do it right, any tips on pulling and resealing this housing?

Any advice is appreciated,

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
In all my travels in the automotive chemical world, i have never seen white sealant. Grey,light grey but not white. For bathtubs and windows, but never oil filled housings. Just my opinion.
Dont know how much oil is behind that cover nor do i know what to expect when you pull cover off. A high quality silicone sealant or a good anerobic sealant would be my choice. Depending on finish of sealing surface. Torque to specifcation in a couple steps.

lakebota

Sep 23, 2013
nor cal
I used permatex anaerobic on hst trans rebuild on all mating surfaces.
Go get the permatex gasket cleaner. It's a spray on foam that you let set for 15 min or so and then brush to remove the old gasket material. I then wiped everything down with acetone, let dry. optional is a spray cleaner/activator (again permaxex) for the anaerobic sealant. Apply the sealant on prepared mating surface (1/16" bead) torque in stages and let dry overnight. Any sealant exposed to air won't dry, in the absence of air (torqued fitment) it sets up quick.
Using the above process I have zero leakage.
this is not a commercial for permatex, simply what I was able to find locally.
Given all the above, I used the entire process because I did not want to pull the trans to re-seal. The pto cover, it's your choice other sealants *may* work, BUT I woud go the the anaerobic

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
How much longer do you have on your warranty ? I would just keep a check on your fluid levels and wait till near the end of your warranty . The leak may be undeniable by your dealer at that point . I've never seen a leak fix itself .

lakebota

Sep 23, 2013
nor cal
threebond does not make 1208d any longer.
idk if it is due to air regs or ?
my research pointed to yamabond or hondabond used by the boat engine manufacturers to seal case halves of outboard motors. similar products are used on vw (opposed air cooled) cases.
local unavailability lead to what I used.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Loctite makes anerobic sealant. Mercury marine also uses it. Many off-riad recreational manufacturers use a similar sealant.